Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are homeschoolers more likely to breastfeed?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you/did you breastfeed, cloth diaper, co-sleep or baby wear?

Options:

Yes. I did/do all four

No. I didn't/don't do any of them.

I only do/did a few. *Comment below*

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 83

View Results

So I was telling my sister about my other post, "what does baby need?" yesterday. I mentioned that breastfeeding, cloth diapering and baby wearing and co-sleeping got thrown around a lot. She said, "Well yeah." "Don't you know almsot all homeschoolers are crunchy hippies like you?" (She's always teasing me,lol.)

So that got me wondering...

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I tried BF, but it didn't work well so I pumped.

I didn't baby wear, but SO did.

We did a few....the cloth diapering we were discouraged from using by my MIL because we couldn't afford a diaper service.....which as I am learning wouldn't have been a big deal since I know how to use my washer and always have.  I am really diappointed that we didn't do this.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I've breastfed all five of my kids, still breastfeeding my youngest (who is 1.)  I've bed-shared in various lengths with all my children.  I started baby wearing and cloth diapering with #3.  Although I always held my babies a ton before #3 came around.

I also homebith. ;) 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

You're kids weaned themselves early? I couldn't pry my kids off the boob with a crowbar,lol. I know I tried cloth with my son. Huge fail! I used Walmart diapers and covers *Shudders* Never again. Thankfully a friend turned me onto some decent ones by the time little dd was born. But I totally understand your aversion.

I've heard of that! Don't they hold them over a cup or somthing and shhhhh in their ear? I thought it was interesting but I know I couldn't commit,lol. 

Quoting hwblyf:

So I breastfed (tried to do 12 months for each, but some of them weaned themselves earlier), I had a wrap so I could wear the baby while I shopped (ya know, there's no 5 kid seating for grocery carts!), but I'm a big believer in disposables (did cloth as a nanny and HATED it), and co-slept in the sense that I would always fall asleep while breastfeeding.

My sister, who has always homeschooled (I started in the middle of my oldest's 4th grade), is the hippie crunchy gal your sister is thinking about.  Her youngest will be 2 at the end of this month and has been toilet trained forever, she started on the toilet at birth with her last two, gave birth at home, and I believe sleeps in a bed of granola.  :)

Lmao! ^^^

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm afraid your sister is right on my account.

I didn't Babywear with all of them. Well with Aiden I kind of did but in the same sense that I did with the other two.

SO I coslept with them all until the age of 3.

I nursed my oldest until he was 16 months but he did have some formula and then the other two until they were nearly 3 and they didn't have any formula.

I started cloth diapering my second baby. My oldest was starting to potty train but I put him in cloth until he was fully trained. I cloth diapered my last one also. Well mostly.

I bought a moby wrap and a mi tai (SP?) With the last two. I had a mainstream carrier with my oldest that I didn't use much.

I'm very AP and a natural parenting hippie tho.

Lynette
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I did a little cloth diapering but I didn't stick to it. I am a breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, kind of mom.
MaryJarrett
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm the stereotypical crunch/hippie. :)
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:42 PM

My daughter weaned herself around 10 months, and lost a ton of weight because she stopped eating period.  My 4th weaned himself around 11 months, but he ate other things.  My 5th I weaned him....so I guess really just #3 and #4 weaned themselves.  And both lost weight and looked very skinny.  The doc described my daughter as gaunt.  :(  That was a bad time.

I think with cloth I'm lazy and don't like the smell.  I know there are things to be done, but the first part of that sentence overrides anything else.  Plus with 5 born within 6 years, I didn't need anything else to add excitement.  :)

So as far as I know, you are constantly watching your child for signs that they need to go to the toilet and then you rush them there.  You're training yourself.  And when we got together in Feb, her daughter isn't trained totally.  She just wets in her clothes at times and asks to go potty other times.  I'm very lazy and my kids weren't trained until about 4, because that's when they wanted it and they wouldn't fight me.

Quoting paganbaby:

You're kids weaned themselves early? I couldn't pry my kids off the boob with a crowbar,lol. I know I tried cloth with my son. Huge fail! I used Walmart diapers and covers *Shudders* Never again. Thankfully a friend turned me onto some decent ones by the time little dd was born. But I totally understand your aversion.

I've heard of that! Don't they hold them over a cup or somthing and shhhhh in their ear? I thought it was interesting but I know I couldn't commit,lol. 

Quoting hwblyf:

So I breastfed (tried to do 12 months for each, but some of them weaned themselves earlier), I had a wrap so I could wear the baby while I shopped (ya know, there's no 5 kid seating for grocery carts!), but I'm a big believer in disposables (did cloth as a nanny and HATED it), and co-slept in the sense that I would always fall asleep while breastfeeding.

My sister, who has always homeschooled (I started in the middle of my oldest's 4th grade), is the hippie crunchy gal your sister is thinking about.  Her youngest will be 2 at the end of this month and has been toilet trained forever, she started on the toilet at birth with her last two, gave birth at home, and I believe sleeps in a bed of granola.  :)

Lmao! ^^^

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I breastfed and still co-sleep my youngest.  I co-slept but got bad advice on brestfeeding my oldest.  I tried to baby wear but it didn't work out with either and my husband had no interest in cloth diapering.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I was breast feeding my children long before I ever thought about homeschooling! I never cloth diapered & only used carriers with my younger 2. If I where to have one now I would do all of that & maybe even try elimination communication where you don't use diapers!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Oh & I can't vote because I did breastfeed all of them but was only homeschooling while I breastfeed the youngest one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN