Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2 yr old and Suspension ... In the same Breath !?

Posted by   + Show Post

2-Year-Old Suspended From Daycare Over Cheese Sandwich
Every parent has had it happen to them at one time or another: give your kid some food and think that they ate it only to find it in the car, in the toy box, or in a pocket days later.
It's exactly what happened to a dad in Canada, and it ended in a suspension for his toddler daughter.
According to The Huffington Post, Randy Murray gave his two-year-old a cheese sandwich to eat before leaving for her daycare. He didn't realize she decided to keep it and tucked it away somewhere for later snacking.
Administrators at Centre de l'Enfant Aux 4 vents in Ottawa brought the hammer down on the little girl for violating a "no outside food" policy. Bring food to school, and you're out for three days. If the food has peanuts, students can be expelled.
Regardless of the policy, Murray is upset he didn't just get a warning.
"They freaked out." He told the Ottawa Sun. "If I got a warning, I'd admit my mistake and move on. But it seems they want to penalize the parents. There's no logic to it. I'm going to the media because I think people have to speak up when something's fishy."
Nothing's fishy, Mr. Murray. While suspension may seem extreme, the daycare has the policy in place likely because several children have severe food allergies. Know what can happen as a result? Death. Death isn't fishy or illogical. It's pretty clear cut.
Related: 15 things you should NEVER do with a toddler
The daycare director confirms the policy is in place for a reason. "We do have children with multiple allergies, and the parents are more than happy that we have all these things in place to protect the children."
I'll admit, I didn't really understand the gravity of food allergies and how intense having a child who is allergic to things can be for parents until I met a really great couple with a daughter who is allergic to a lot of foods, including peanuts. Seeing what her parents go through to keep her safe and imagining the stress they must feel when they can't be there to watch what she eats must be overwhelming. Think about it: every day they have to send their daughter off into the world knowing that simply coming into contact with a commonplace food item could seriously hurt her. I would be a wreck.
That's why when the day I packed peanut butter crackers in my daughter's preschool snack box earned me a strict talking to, I didn't mind for one second. It's easy to see how one careless move on my part could have resulted in tragedy for another family. Thank god for allergy awareness and vigilant teachers. While I understand the cheese sandwich was an oversight and that suspension is harsh, Murray should understand that it's because food allergies are serious business. He apparently doesn't see it that way and says he's looking for new childcare options for his children.

What do you think? Is the school being too harsh over what was an accident or is the suspension a great wake up call for someone who clearly isn't taking food allergies seriously?

Are the above questions valid?
Why or or why not ?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Replies (21-27):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Oh, I agree it was to punish the dad not the toddler as that would be absurd. And I agree a warning would be the nicer thing as accidents happen. But for all we know the kid comes in with peanut butter smeared all over their clothes routinely. 

Quoting kirbymom: You give me stitches, girl...lol..I swear you do. It isn't the punishing that I have issue with, it is the "suspension" of a 2 yr old. 2 yr olds have no concept of suspension. This wasn't to punush the toddler, ut was punishment for the dad!
Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree...lol...I agree it's difficult to strip search your toddler every day before daycare...lol... So I can see both sides of the issue. Immediately, our instinct is to see it as an absurd thing, to punish toddlers. But once you think about it it seems a little harsh, but not out of the realm of possibility. Especially if this daycare has had a child have a severe reaction there in the past.

Quoting kirbymom: This policy is a great policy but there should be a warning system in place. I mean, these are 2 yr olds. Not the best of listeners just yet.
Quoting collinsmommy0: With a child with severe food allergies, I think that's a great policy for the school to have. A 3 day suspension? Ummm a little to severe IMO. If the child was older (10 maybe?) and understood the rules, then I'd say send them home for the day. But a toddler or preschool doesn't understand those rules.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:37 PM
You know, I know how you feel and even agree with you 99.9%, but I don't think it's the policy that is the problem here, I think it is the people who implement such policies and How they implement them that can is the problem. Making sure a child doesn't have a deadly reaction from an unknown source is a good policy. As long as it is implemented everytime with no exceptiions and everyone is made completely aware of it before implementation.

Quoting Kaya529: I was going to put DS into public schools at some point in elementary school but this article is the straw that broke the camels back. I am done with the school system and prioritizing one set of students over another. When it get's to the point where a 2 year old is being suspended for something that is common place for a 2 year old to do that is ridiculous. I am sick of them throwing kids out of school over dumb shit. Soon we are going to be homeschooling anyways because these policies are getting worse and worse with stricter and stricter punishments. I am done. I am just going to homeschool him and I don't have to worry about it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM
And that could very well be the case, but....ya' know?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Oh, I agree it was to punish the dad not the toddler as that would be absurd. And I agree a warning would be the nicer thing as accidents happen. But for all we know the kid comes in with peanut butter smeared all over their clothes routinely. 

Quoting kirbymom: You give me stitches, girl...lol..I swear you do.
It isn't the punishing that I have issue with, it is the "suspension" of a 2 yr old. 2 yr olds have no concept of suspension. This wasn't to punush the toddler, ut was punishment for the dad!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree...lol...I agree it's difficult to strip search your toddler every day before daycare...lol... So I can see both sides of the issue. Immediately, our instinct is to see it as an absurd thing, to punish toddlers. But once you think about it it seems a little harsh, but not out of the realm of possibility. Especially if this daycare has had a child have a severe reaction there in the past.

Quoting kirbymom: This policy is a great policy but there should be a warning system in place. I mean, these are 2 yr olds. Not the best of listeners just yet.
Quoting collinsmommy0: With a child with severe food allergies, I think that's a great policy for the school to have. A 3 day suspension? Ummm a little to severe IMO. If the child was older (10 maybe?) and understood the rules, then I'd say send them home for the day. But a toddler or preschool doesn't understand those rules.

Kaya529
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM
It's not that. I have a 2 year old myself. They do things like this. I am a very involved mom that is home with her kid all day and even then he get's into things and he is sneaky. Even I can't stop him from everything every single time. I believe in making things safe but not at the expense of everyone else's education. Kids break rules, are forgetful, and are not vigilant. To suspend kids from school for not acting in a manner that is impossible for them because their little minds are not wired like that goes too far. Either all the kids are going to end up suspended/expelled or they are going to have to make special schools for the food allergy kids if things keep going as they are. We unfortunately cannot protect every single child every minute of the day. I actually think these rules are going to cause a rise in deaths because people will become less diligent in checking things due to a false sense of security and kids being kids will break the rules. The whole thing is a recipe for disaster.

Quoting kirbymom: You know, I know how you feel and even agree with you 99.9%, but I don't think it's the policy that is the problem here, I think it is the people who implement such policies and How they implement them that can is the problem. Making sure a child doesn't have a deadly reaction from an unknown source is a good policy. As long as it is implemented everytime with no exceptiions and everyone is made completely aware of it before implementation.

Quoting Kaya529: I was going to put DS into public schools at some point in elementary school but this article is the straw that broke the camels back. I am done with the school system and prioritizing one set of students over another. When it get's to the point where a 2 year old is being suspended for something that is common place for a 2 year old to do that is ridiculous. I am sick of them throwing kids out of school over dumb shit. Soon we are going to be homeschooling anyways because these policies are getting worse and worse with stricter and stricter punishments. I am done. I am just going to homeschool him and I don't have to worry about it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
You are definitely right about this going to become a disaster down the road. And that is just so sad.

Quoting Kaya529: It's not that. I have a 2 year old myself. They do things like this. I am a very involved mom that is home with her kid all day and even then he get's into things and he is sneaky. Even I can't stop him from everything every single time. I believe in making things safe but not at the expense of everyone else's education. Kids break rules, are forgetful, and are not vigilant. To suspend kids from school for not acting in a manner that is impossible for them because their little minds are not wired like that goes too far. Either all the kids are going to end up suspended/expelled or they are going to have to make special schools for the food allergy kids if things keep going as they are. We unfortunately cannot protect every single child every minute of the day. I actually think these rules are going to cause a rise in deaths because people will become less diligent in checking things due to a false sense of security and kids being kids will break the rules. The whole thing is a recipe for disaster.

Quoting kirbymom: You know, I know how you feel and even agree with you 99.9%, but I don't think it's the policy that is the problem here, I think it is the people who implement such policies and How they implement them that can is the problem. Making sure a child doesn't have a deadly reaction from an unknown source is a good policy. As long as it is implemented everytime with no exceptiions and everyone is made completely aware of it before implementation.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I think this was ridiculous. I wouldn't send my kid back there, find a new daycare or a nanny if I had to, but that's an extreme disciplinary action, IMO.

Have you seen the epi pen commercial? This mom is putting her very little girl on a school bus with her epi pen in the backpack, talking about if your child has a life threatening allergy make sure they have the epi pen....umm if your child that young has a life threatening allergy would you really want to risk sending them away for hours??

I, luckily, do not have children with allergies...but I can't imagine sending them away all day into a situation I can't control if they could possibly die from tasting or even being in the same room as another child's snack. I get that we can't hover and control everything, but when they are 4 or 5, I would control their environment as much as possible if they could die because of something so common. I wouldn't expect it to be the responsibility of other parents, children, or teachers...maybe teachers a little since they are responsible for the kids, but ultimately, parents are responsible for their own kids.

Sorry for my rant. DS went to ps with a boy with many allergies, his mom is really great at teaching him and preparing similar foods for him as the other kids, but still, when he was in kindergarten? How many kids share snacks even if they're not supposed to? And how many 5 year olds know every single thing they shouldn't eat?

Quoting usmom3:

I would bet a lot of money that if he knew she did not eat the sandwich he would have taken it from her before taking her in to the daycare! Most parents don't want to run the risk of something like this happening because of the problems it will cause with their jobs!

Quoting kirbymom: My question would be this... How is he supposed to know that his LO decided not to eat her sandwhich if she didn't want to eat it and hides it instead when he isn't looking?
Quoting usmom3:

Oh come on really? Like the guy would intentionally break the rule of the place he pays to care for his child so that his child is suspended for 3 days to inconvenience him & his family! This is utterly ridiculouson the part of the daycare! A warning would have been sufficient & if it happened again maybe a suspension or fine but this was the first time it had happened!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to agree that ultimately the worry and care should be on the backs of the parents. I mean, don't have kids if you're just going to give the responsibility to soneone else.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I think this was ridiculous. I wouldn't send my kid back there, find a new daycare or a nanny if I had to, but that's an extreme disciplinary action, IMO.

Have you seen the epi pen commercial? This mom is putting her very little girl on a school bus with her epi pen in the backpack, talking about if your child has a life threatening allergy make sure they have the epi pen....umm if your child that young has a life threatening allergy would you really want to risk sending them away for hours??

I, luckily, do not have children with allergies...but I can't imagine sending them away all day into a situation I can't control if they could possibly die from tasting or even being in the same room as another child's snack. I get that we can't hover and control everything, but when they are 4 or 5, I would control their environment as much as possible if they could die because of something so common. I wouldn't expect it to be the responsibility of other parents, children, or teachers...maybe teachers a little since they are responsible for the kids, but ultimately, parents are responsible for their own kids.

Sorry for my rant. DS went to ps with a boy with many allergies, his mom is really great at teaching him and preparing similar foods for him as the other kids, but still, when he was in kindergarten? How many kids share snacks even if they're not supposed to? And how many 5 year olds know every single thing they shouldn't eat?

Quoting usmom3:

I would bet a lot of money that if he knew she did not eat the sandwich he would have taken it from her before taking her in to the daycare! Most parents don't want to run the risk of something like this happening because of the problems it will cause with their jobs!

Quoting kirbymom: My question would be this... How is he supposed to know that his LO decided not to eat her sandwhich if she didn't want to eat it and hides it instead when he isn't looking?
Quoting usmom3:

Oh come on really? Like the guy would intentionally break the rule of the place he pays to care for his child so that his child is suspended for 3 days to inconvenience him & his family! This is utterly ridiculouson the part of the daycare! A warning would have been sufficient & if it happened again maybe a suspension or fine but this was the first time it had happened!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN