Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - How do you torture/embarass your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

My kids believe I take great gobs of enjoyment from embarassing them, or torturing them....probably because I do! One my my favorite torture devices is the 1982 movie The Pirate Movie with Kristie McNichols and Christopher Atkins....it's a musical loosely based on the Pirates of Penzance musical. It has always made me crack up how they mixed the 19th century with the early 80's...lol - I know my kids are really hiding a deep abiding love for the movie behind their looks of horror. Who can't sing all the lyrics to the Modern Major General song? I mean it only received a 9% rating on the Rotten Tomatoes scale...but it's got cult following. (I'm sure of it!) lol

My youngest usually is addicted to all things 1980's, so I just don't get it.

Pirate Movie.jpg

How do you torture/embarass your kids?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Completely unintentionally (because I don't like to do it to them) I am very open about talking about anything, any where at anytime! So you can imagine what kinds of conversations I am willing to have no matter where we are! As a side note I embarrass my husband because of this too!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids don't tell me when I embarass them.  That's odd.  :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol, I do this too! Though I think it embarasses my DH not my kids because they keep asking questions that I have to answer! I never remember to say, "I'll explain later" instead I answer honestly, usually scientifically. The worst was a party at my MILs where the movie the kids were watching had a commercial for a birth control device and my youngest asked what that was, which led to an indepth scientific discussion on how birth control works...I didn't think anyone but my boys were listening till I finished and saw that I had the entire houses undivided attention. Poor DH. 

Quoting usmom3:

Completely unintentionally (because I don't like to do it to them) I am very open about talking about anything, any where at anytime! So you can imagine what kinds of conversations I am willing to have no matter where we are! As a side note I embarrass my husband because of this too!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

"Don't draw attention, don't draw attention!" Lol

Quoting hwblyf:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha, I can see me doing that but my hubby would be elbowing me the whole time to try to get me to shut up!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I do this too! Though I think it embarasses my DH not my kids because they keep asking questions that I have to answer! I never remember to say, "I'll explain later" instead I answer honestly, usually scientifically. The worst was a party at my MILs where the movie the kids were watching had a commercial for a birth control device and my youngest asked what that was, which led to an indepth scientific discussion on how birth control works...I didn't think anyone but my boys were listening till I finished and saw that I had the entire houses undivided attention. Poor DH. 

Quoting usmom3:

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I seriously thought I was the only person who liked that movie!  Now I know where at least one of the other 9% is. :)

That "Pumpin' & a Blowin'" Song is my favorite.

If someone is rude to one of us in public I'm overly-sugary polite about telling them to take a hike.  I'm not sure if it's embarrassing, but the girls (and dh) are quite for awhile after.  Might be fear, not sure!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

O M G I can't beleve I found another one! LOL.

I'm not shy about confrontation. I know it used to embarass my kids, no they kind of giggle when I'm super sarcastic and...er...loud.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I seriously thought I was the only person who liked that movie!  Now I know where at least one of the other 9% is. :)

If someone is rude to one of us in public I'm overly-sugary polite about telling them to take a hike.  I'm not sure if it's embarrassing, but the girls (and dh) are quite for awhile after.  Might be fear, not sure!

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

No kidding!  Now I can sing those songs out in public and with pride!

LOL, I'm sure people are sorry when they cross you!  My girls have been standing up for themselves more when we're out, so I wish I'd been grumpier with jerks earlier. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

O M G I can't beleve I found another one! LOL.

I'm not shy about confrontation. I know it used to embarass my kids, no they kind of giggle when I'm super sarcastic and...er...loud.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Hm, IDK. I'm extrememly into being in my own bubble especially in public. I hate people sharing space with me so I'm not one to sing or dance or wear overly crazy things in public. I do have several pet names for the kids, though. LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM
You are a lucky ducky!! Lol

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN