Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - How do you torture/embarass your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids believe I take great gobs of enjoyment from embarassing them, or torturing them....probably because I do! One my my favorite torture devices is the 1982 movie The Pirate Movie with Kristie McNichols and Christopher Atkins....it's a musical loosely based on the Pirates of Penzance musical. It has always made me crack up how they mixed the 19th century with the early 80's...lol - I know my kids are really hiding a deep abiding love for the movie behind their looks of horror. Who can't sing all the lyrics to the Modern Major General song? I mean it only received a 9% rating on the Rotten Tomatoes scale...but it's got cult following. (I'm sure of it!) lol

My youngest usually is addicted to all things 1980's, so I just don't get it.

Pirate Movie.jpg

How do you torture/embarass your kids?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Hahaha ... I love this post Shannon! You are a boon for the spirits.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Lol, my youngest gets extremely offended whenever anyone calls him any nickname. Except Crash. He earned that nickname by crashing a 4 wheeler into the corner of my inlaws cabin in VT...the only cabin w/in 100 yards, missing the gazillion trees in the process. For some reason he's ok with that nickname. His name is Xander and my dad likes to call him Xander-Salamandrr and he bursts into tears whenever someone calls him that. SMH

Quoting mem82:

Hm, IDK. I'm extrememly into being in my own bubble especially in public. I hate people sharing space with me so I'm not one to sing or dance or wear overly crazy things in public. I do have several pet names for the kids, though. LOL

Though I can kinda understand. My dad, To This Day, calls me Nee-nee-Pooh. Because our apartment in Geermany was near the firehouse, and I'd hang out the window, every time the fire trucks went by, holding my pooh bear, yelling "nee-ner, nee-ner, wooo-wooo!"

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted new amunition in the humiliation of my kids... Mwahahaha

Quoting kirbymom: Hahaha ... I love this post Shannon! You are a boon for the spirits.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM
3 moms liked this

My SIL was pretty good at humiliation. Her kids were in PS and when my nephew had his first semi-formal as a freshman in high school she LOuDLY asked him, "oooo is there a cuuuute girl you like?" Whenever groups of girls went by. Best. Birth control. Ever. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, when hubby gets in the mood..which is ALL the time..he likes to get his jiggy on. He will *dance* to the music that is on the station or what someone is playing on the iphone, iipad, ipod or smartphone or whatever, the kids just start cracking up and squawk for him to stop! Lol
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this

The kiddos I nannied for were truly embarrased by me.  I remember when the middle one was about 10, I took them to the movies and was dancing to the music on the way out.  She made the mistake of telling me I was embarrasing her.  It got much worse.  :)

Quoting kirbymom: You are a lucky ducky!! Lol
Quoting hwblyf:

My kids don't tell me when I embarass them.  That's odd.  :)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM

It's a pretty slick trick on their part.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

"Don't draw attention, don't draw attention!" Lol

Quoting hwblyf:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I can understand the poor kiddo if he's asked repeatedly not to be called a name.  My FIL has to give everyone a goony name.  My oldest is Gabriel.  In the hospital he called him Gabey Baby.  Even he hated it.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, my youngest gets extremely offended whenever anyone calls him any nickname. Except Crash. He earned that nickname by crashing a 4 wheeler into the corner of my inlaws cabin in VT...the only cabin w/in 100 yards, missing the gazillion trees in the process. For some reason he's ok with that nickname. His name is Xander and my dad likes to call him Xander-Salamandrr and he bursts into tears whenever someone calls him that. SMH

Quoting mem82:

Hm, IDK. I'm extrememly into being in my own bubble especially in public. I hate people sharing space with me so I'm not one to sing or dance or wear overly crazy things in public. I do have several pet names for the kids, though. LOL

Though I can kinda understand. My dad, To This Day, calls me Nee-nee-Pooh. Because our apartment in Geermany was near the firehouse, and I'd hang out the window, every time the fire trucks went by, holding my pooh bear, yelling "nee-ner, nee-ner, wooo-wooo!"

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Hahahaha..

That is exactly how my hubby is too!

Quoting hwblyf:

The kiddos I nannied for were truly embarrased by me.  I remember when the middle one was about 10, I took them to the movies and was dancing to the music on the way out.  She made the mistake of telling me I was embarrasing her.  It got much worse.  :)

Quoting kirbymom: You are a lucky ducky!! Lol

Quoting hwblyf:

livn4laundry
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

While dropping oldest son off at middle school I was trying to engage him in general conversation. He's not my chatty one and was not very forthcoming with replies. When I pulled into the drop off lane he opened the door to get out I yelled "mommy loves you honey have a blessed day" . His look was awesome but it got better. The principal stands outside the drop off lane to greet students. He stopped my son and said "Mr. M------ tell your mother you love her and get to class." His face was priceless! He leans into the car, he mutters "never again" and I could only say "your wife will expect you to respond when she asks you questions".   Thumbs up from the principal as I drove away. I'm for straight up outright embarrassment as needed.

Same kid, now in high school, just took his first date to his first Formal Military Ball. Husband and I drive him to pick her up and meet her parents. On the way to drop them off at the Ball husband is singing the Old Spice Made A Man Of My Son commercial. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)