Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i feel like I want to do the impossible!

Posted by   + Show Post
I came on here before asking how to transfotm my space so the kids have space to do their work. Well, i have a table, but now i need help with finding an area for my baby girl to play. Our house is sooo tiny! I will show you pictures, our house is messy right now. I am about to organize my bedroom
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I completely understand. We are apartment people. A few years ago DH was laid off and we had to downsize to a 1 bedroom, 700 square foot apartment. With only 1 closet! So we had to downsize a lot.

The kids each had 1 under-the-bed container for toys.

IRIS Wrapping Paper Box

They also had 1 Rubbermaid drawer unit with 2 drawers - 1 for cars, one for train sets.

Sterilite 4-Drawer Cabinet

We have 8 bookshelves, some in closets (as we now a few more of those) some on display.

FOr workbooks and paper, I got these cube ottomans from Walmart for $19. They are great for kid chairs as well. We keep them in the bookcase corner so it's our little 'library'

Mainstays Square Storage Ottoman, Multiple Colors

We are huge crafters - as I make a lot of crafts to sell as well. So it's storing crafts that is the most challenging. I'm also OCD so need to have a 'place' for everything.

HPI 3-Drawer Large Cart

Utility Bookcase Tower with 5 Fabric Bins, Multiple Colors we have 9 baskets here - 1 for glue, one for rainbow loom stuff, etc.

That's about it. That's how we keep organized. But the #1 rule was to de-clutter. Previously the kids had tons of toys, but we donated a lot to kids who had less than we did.

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM
I have a tiny table with a tub that has toys in. We need thr cofee table we have to be able to be a place the boys can sit at for dinner and homework

Quoting usmom3:

How about hidden storage like a coffee table that opens to put the little ones toys in so she can play in the living room & then just put them up when she is done?

Quoting Precious333: We rent :(
Quoting usmom3:

Do you own your home & are you/hubby or someone you all know a handyman? If you own it & someone can help you build & install shelves & cabinets up high so that your storage is above to free up a space on the floor for a play aria for her!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I would start to bite myself. I HAVE to have a bit of personal space and so does every other member of our family. LOL We need like 10ft of bubble about 2 hours a day.

How about  under the bed storage, over the door storage and give her a pack n play right now to have a safe place?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Do you have to go through the bedroom to get to the house? How about switching the living room and bedroom?

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM
I like how the cuve ottomans are chairs and storage places!! I will.be lookiing into that for sure!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I completely understand. We are apartment people. A few years ago DH was laid off and we had to downsize to a 1 bedroom, 700 square foot apartment. With only 1 closet! So we had to downsize a lot.

The kids each had 1 under-the-bed container for toys.

IRIS Wrapping Paper Box

They also had 1 Rubbermaid drawer unit with 2 drawers - 1 for cars, one for train sets.

Sterilite 4-Drawer Cabinet

We have 8 bookshelves, some in closets (as we now a few more of those) some on display.

FOr workbooks and paper, I got these cube ottomans from Walmart for $19. They are great for kid chairs as well. We keep them in the bookcase corner so it's our little 'library'

Mainstays Square Storage Ottoman, Multiple Colors

We are huge crafters - as I make a lot of crafts to sell as well. So it's storing crafts that is the most challenging. I'm also OCD so need to have a 'place' for everything.

HPI 3-Drawer Large Cart

Utility Bookcase Tower with 5 Fabric Bins, Multiple Colors we have 9 baskets here - 1 for glue, one for rainbow loom stuff, etc.

That's about it. That's how we keep organized. But the #1 rule was to de-clutter. Previously the kids had tons of toys, but we donated a lot to kids who had less than we did.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM
My kids don't have a ton of toys and stuff to just scatter. It helps tremendously.

My baby's (21 months) is taking up the most space because he has big play balls and a ride on and a spinning ride on as well as a crate of puzzles, basket of blocks, tub of duplos, ane small basket of ramdom toys. I'm getting close to downsizing his selection because he is almost 2 and plays more with the older kids toys.

My older kids have...

1. A very packed board game pantry.

2. A tub for crafty stuff (not supplies like glue and scissors).

3. 2 pantry towers of school supplies & books and a big tote of school supplies.

4. A huge tub of legos.

5. A box of playdoh stuff.

6. One toybox in the girls' room and a few plastic houses that don't fit in the one toyhouse.

7. Only a few stuffies on their beds.

8. Each child has one underbed box that is for keepsakes. If this gets too full, they must throw stuff away to be able to keep more.

They rarely play "toys"... they are lego builders, playdoh sculptors, and game players...

Although... we are pretty overrun by books. I don't want to, but we need to clear out some books.
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Yes. That is a possiility.

Quoting mem82:

Do you have to go through the bedroom to get to the house? How about switching the living room and bedroom?

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Hmmmm maybe. I dont know where I would.put tha pack n play though

Quoting mem82:

I would start to bite myself. I HAVE to have a bit of personal space and so does every other member of our family. LOL We need like 10ft of bubble about 2 hours a day.

How about  under the bed storage, over the door storage and give her a pack n play right now to have a safe place?

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Yikes I thought my house was small!
Can you rotate toys to give more room? Or downsize your couch?
AmyMamie
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM

I had the same idea - if it were me, I'd get rid of half the couch, and keep enough seating for 3 people.  Then kids could sit on the floor if we were all watching TV together, and that would free up an entire wall.  Obviously just an idea, though! :)

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Yikes I thought my house was small! Can you rotate toys to give more room? Or downsize your couch?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN