Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i feel like I want to do the impossible!

Posted by   + Show Post
I came on here before asking how to transfotm my space so the kids have space to do their work. Well, i have a table, but now i need help with finding an area for my baby girl to play. Our house is sooo tiny! I will show you pictures, our house is messy right now. I am about to organize my bedroom
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I would also consider a smaller couch. The little ottoman storage things are cute and I love things with more than one function!

Remember, things could always be worse...we live in a fairly large house but it's my MILs and we live WITH her...so while there should be plenty of room, we can't really change or add anything since its really her house. In fact, we have an EMPTY bedroom with my youngest BILs stuff, BIL who hasn't spent a night here in almost 2 years...empty room for almost two years. And I want to have a baby, since there is an empty bedroom there should be space, but she's not all for us having a baby while we live with her. OR it would be nice to let the kids have the empty room as a playroom to free up space elsewhere, but we have to save that room in case BIL wants to come back...he's away at college...but when he comes 'home' he stays at grandmas huge house with the other brother.

Anyway, things can always be worse. But I would consider some shelves like the 9 cubby ones, and those ottomans, and a smaller couch. Under the bed and over the door storage are great ideas too! Good luck!
melindabelcher
by Mel on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
I would first downsize the toys, books and clothes (living in one room at the shelter for months taught us to downsize) if you have a basement or attic storage.you could rotate in the books and toys.
Do you bed share with the youngest?
Is there a coat closet you could add shelving to?
I would hang up their shirts to save dresser space.
I don't think there is enough space to "designate" any one space for anything. Your kitchen table is the kids paperwork and craft area. Their bedroom is also the play area so to keep your common area free of all the kids toys. Baby toys in a storage of some kind in the living room.
Designate places for the kids toys, clothes, jackets shoes so they can be more easily responsible for their stuff.
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Adding shelf space would be nice. I want to get rid of more toys or rotate. Its hard to.rotate because our garage is.full. we need to get rid of stuff! I need to do a yard sale, but Dh has been working saturdays and has sciatica

Quoting melindabelcher: I would first downsize the toys, books and clothes (living in one room at the shelter for months taught us to downsize) if you have a basement or attic storage.you could rotate in the books and toys.
Do you bed share with the youngest?
Is there a coat closet you could add shelving to?
I would hang up their shirts to save dresser space.
I don't think there is enough space to "designate" any one space for anything. Your kitchen table is the kids paperwork and craft area. Their bedroom is also the play area so to keep your common area free of all the kids toys. Baby toys in a storage of some kind in the living room.
Designate places for the kids toys, clothes, jackets shoes so they can be more easily responsible for their stuff.
Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol we just bought the couch so we could all have a place to sit (there are six of us)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I would also consider a smaller couch. The little ottoman storage things are cute and I love things with more than one function!

Remember, things could always be worse...we live in a fairly large house but it's my MILs and we live WITH her...so while there should be plenty of room, we can't really change or add anything since its really her house. In fact, we have an EMPTY bedroom with my youngest BILs stuff, BIL who hasn't spent a night here in almost 2 years...empty room for almost two years. And I want to have a baby, since there is an empty bedroom there should be space, but she's not all for us having a baby while we live with her. OR it would be nice to let the kids have the empty room as a playroom to free up space elsewhere, but we have to save that room in case BIL wants to come back...he's away at college...but when he comes 'home' he stays at grandmas huge house with the other brother.

Anyway, things can always be worse. But I would consider some shelves like the 9 cubby ones, and those ottomans, and a smaller couch. Under the bed and over the door storage are great ideas too! Good luck!
momto3B
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

EXPEDIT Shelving unit IKEA You can use the furniture as a room divider because it looks good from every angle.

Ikea Expedit. $65 and you can get inexpensive plastic buckets $4  in differnet colors to fit each cubby. You can stand them vertically - looks like you could a few in the closet - and use them for toys, clothing or anything else you need to put away. Just make sure they are connected to the wall so you children can't climb them. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Man,a after the last few years I can't even imagine that much space!

Quoting mem82:

I would start to bite myself. I HAVE to have a bit of personal space and so does every other member of our family. LOL We need like 10ft of bubble about 2 hours a day.

How about  under the bed storage, over the door storage and give her a pack n play right now to have a safe place?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM

We LOVE our cube ottomans. We had my youngests party today and all our guests were amazed at how much craft stuff I could fit in each one! Lol

Quoting Precious333: I like how the cuve ottomans are chairs and storage places!! I will.be lookiing into that for sure!!!
Quoting KickButtMama:

I completely understand. We are apartment people. A few years ago DH was laid off and we had to downsize to a 1 bedroom, 700 square foot apartment. With only 1 closet! So we had to downsize a lot.

The kids each had 1 under-the-bed container for toys.

IRIS Wrapping Paper Box

They also had 1 Rubbermaid drawer unit with 2 drawers - 1 for cars, one for train sets.

Sterilite 4-Drawer Cabinet

We have 8 bookshelves, some in closets (as we now a few more of those) some on display.

FOr workbooks and paper, I got these cube ottomans from Walmart for $19. They are great for kid chairs as well. We keep them in the bookcase corner so it's our little 'library'

Mainstays Square Storage Ottoman, Multiple=

We are huge crafters - as I make a lot of crafts to sell as well. So it's storing crafts that is the most challenging. I'm also OCD so need to have a 'place' for everything.HPI 3-Drawer Large Cart

Utility Bookcase Tower with 5 Fabric Bins, Multiple= we have 9 baskets here - 1 for glue, one for rainbow loom stuff, etc.

That's about it. That's how we keep organized. But the #1 rule was to de-clutter. Previously the kids had tons of toys, but we donated a lot to kids who had less than we did.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Here's my advice, for what it's worth.  Your first question was about space for the baby.  I never used a pack and play myself.  I kept the floor vacuumed and put a big clean blanket out for my girls.  I was always nearby so could roll them back if necessary.  :)  

We got rid of our coffee table a long time ago and bought small end tables at a garage sale.  They're 19" square and 18" so perfect for sitting on the floor and working or having a snack, then putting out of the way.

I don't have garage sales myself, but I look at all of our great unwanted items on eBay.  If it's worth $5-10+ I toss it on there.  If not I donate it.  There are so many people who get excited at the Salvation Army, etc., and children who would love to have the cheap toys we donate.  It's so much faster than gathering everything for a sale too.

We take our used reading books to the secondhand store and sell them for credit.  Our curriculum is going to go on eBay.  Check out eBay for the books you've used.  Some go almost as high as the retail price, no kidding, especially if you sell them as a set (all the pieces needed for social studies, etc.). 

Up until a few years ago I worked full-time.  When I was first home the house was extremely cluttered.  I started with the master bedroom and completely gutted the closet, dresser, etc.  Tons of things got donated, some on eBay, but it was clean after and a nice oasis.  Then I moved to the girls rooms, family room, etc.

Cleaning out the garage was actually fun.  I loaded up the car with the stuff that really was junk and took it to the dump/sanitation department.  I'm sure yours works in a similar fashion.  They weigh your car on the way in, then on the way out, and charge a few dollars for a LOT of stuff to just get tossed.  The SUPER FUN part about going to the dump is taking your junk and winging it as far as you can into the trash pile.  It's very liberating!

I also joined two of the cleaning groups on here.  I'm more accountable when I have witnesses, and when I organize my thoughts in writing too.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Your house makes me feel more normal,lol.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

LOL Everytime we had a kid, we'd move into a bigger place because we couldn't stand being cramped. We now have a house with 5 bedrooms (one is in the basement and my mother in law moved into it) and two stories along with a finished basement. It still feels like we are always on top of one another, though. On one hand, we enjoy are kids and being close to them. On the other, my anxiety gets out of control if I can't step away. Same with hubby. We just do better with a bit of space each day.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Man,a after the last few years I can't even imagine that much space!

Quoting mem82:

I would start to bite myself. I HAVE to have a bit of personal space and so does every other member of our family. LOL We need like 10ft of bubble about 2 hours a day.

How about  under the bed storage, over the door storage and give her a pack n play right now to have a safe place?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN