Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

this seems like a lot to me

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM
  • 15 Replies
http://www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com/2013/08/our-homeschool-schedule-2013-2014.html
So 7:30-5 with small breaks here and there. That seems like a lot to me!
My first graders core work takes 2-3 hours then another hour or two on stuff he wants to learn but if he doesn't want to that day no big deal.
My 3 year old does about 30 minutes plus she jumps in on some other stuff when she feels like it.
Does this seem like a lot to you? Wow!
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Yea it does. I have a 2nd and Kinder student. Neither of them do that much school a day. Their core works take about an hour to an hour and a half. After core work we take off to the play place or somewhere during the day and then come home around 2 and do our afternoon work, which takes about an hour or two. The afternoon work is life of fred, science, geography, reading poems, reading a few pages of a free reading book, health and 10-15 minutes of extra math pracTice. That is for my 2nd grader. I read most of it all to him and have him answer questions that htey have in he books. He reads the free reading book outloud. My kinder does life of fred, poetry, watches a few education youtube videos and reads a mcguffey reader. I try not to overwhelm them with work. I want it to be light.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM
Me too I think free time is very important for kids.

Quoting chotovec82: Yea it does. I have a 2nd and Kinder student. Neither of them do that much school a day. Their core works take about an hour to an hour and a half. After core work we take off to the play place or somewhere during the day and then come home around 2 and do our afternoon work, which takes about an hour or two. The afternoon work is life of fred, science, geography, reading poems, reading a few pages of a free reading book, health and 10-15 minutes of extra math pracTice. That is for my 2nd grader. I read most of it all to him and have him answer questions that htey have in he books. He reads the free reading book outloud. My kinder does life of fred, poetry, watches a few education youtube videos and reads a mcguffey reader. I try not to overwhelm them with work. I want it to be light.
SarahNElijah
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:30 AM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like a lot when you say 7:30-5, but if you read through the schedule, a lot of that time is downtime.. So I would say it looks normal to me, just spaced differently.. :)

The first two hours are marked "Do the morning board". If you click on the link you find out this means that they can watch 2 shows on PBS, do their chores, wash up and eat breakfast, so really they start at 9:30.

Then they do 1 1/2 hrs of work, 1/2 hr break, followed by 1 hr work, then lunch time, afternoon chores, free time and story time, then 1/2 hr of a craft, creative writing or P.E (depending upon the day), then another 1/2 break followed by the final hour of school work..

It sounds like a long day but with all the breaks, it is really like 4-4.5 hrs of work. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Sounds about right to me. Although when I first read your post it seemed a lot, then I went to the link and saw how you worked the schedule.
A schedule that isn't a schedule is a great way for kids to learn. :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Holy Moly! I couldn't imagine schooling for that long....that's LONGER than public school! (Which I think is too long to start with!) My kids are older now, almost-13 and 10, and they do (on aveage) 3-4 hours of school work, but this is driven by them - the type of work they are doing and how much in each day. I can only imagine the battles we would have (and the exhaustion) if I tried to institute such a long workday!

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I like our day condensed quite a bit more than this schedule shows. We start earlier than her and take care of the house afterwards. I like a break between hs & cooking dinner myself!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM
It seems like a lot to me because I am so not a schedule person. That kind of rigidity makes me nervous lol. My Jr high kids don't even school that long, but their overall learning time is longer, since our methods run more toward "almost unschooled". So to me, it seems like too much structure.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Doesn't seem excessive to me. It's all relative to their goals and methods.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Not when you take homework into account. My dd stays at school until about 5:30 most days for tutoring/homework help.

Although I agree that I hate having her gone so long (we aren't sure she'll go back next year; she has no time for extracurriculars or family time).

Quoting KickButtMama:

Holy Moly! I couldn't imagine schooling for that long....that's LONGER than public school! (Which I think is too long to start with!) My kids are older now, almost-13 and 10, and they do (on aveage) 3-4 hours of school work, but this is driven by them - the type of work they are doing and how much in each day. I can only imagine the battles we would have (and the exhaustion) if I tried to institute such a long workday!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN