Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

this seems like a lot to me

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com/2013/08/our-homeschool-schedule-2013-2014.html
So 7:30-5 with small breaks here and there. That seems like a lot to me!
My first graders core work takes 2-3 hours then another hour or two on stuff he wants to learn but if he doesn't want to that day no big deal.
My 3 year old does about 30 minutes plus she jumps in on some other stuff when she feels like it.
Does this seem like a lot to you? Wow!
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM
Replies (11-15):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I think her schedule seems to make it seem longer and more complicated than it is. <--Quite possibly one of the most badly worded sentences of my life. LOL

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Yeah - I just looked at her schedule. It is very loose and includes a ton of free time; she just happens to schedule the free time (not uncommon in larger families that I know). Not excessive at all.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

12yrmama
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Schedule is important for us, it works for my kids. I understand some kids would be different. But isn't that the point of homeschooling? Doing whatever works for your kids? Having the freedom together them learn their way?
lovelylady83
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM

If you look at her schedule she has everything scheduled to include cooking, eating, playing and mom time.  Not all of that is spent doing school. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM
I just read it, and even though it's spread out, that IS a lot of lesson time. I don't know how many kids she has, that could be a factor. But my third grader does maybe 2-3 hours spread out over the day, and my preschooler doesn't do formal lessons, just plays along with us if we are crafting, painting, drawing or whatever.
We do a block schedule, and it works really well for us. (Meaning instead of doing every subject every day, we will focus on one or two for a few weeks set a time)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN