Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did You Know there was a .....

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
.... a Constitution Week?

In 1940, following a push by the Hearst newspapers, Congress established the third Sunday in May as "I Am An American Day," a day for celebrating citizenship in the United States. In 1952, President Harry Truman moved the holiday to September 17th, and renamed it Citizenship Day. Its purpose was to "[commemorate] the formation and signing on September 17, 1787, of the Constitution and [recognize] all who, by coming of age or by naturalization, have become citizens."
Starting in 1956, Constitution Week was added, celebrating the Constitution from September 17 through September 23.
At the end of 2004, it was decided to redesignate September 17 as "Constitution Day and Citizenship Day," adding the additional observance of holding educational programs on the United States Constitution in all publicly-funded schools.

Were you taught this when You went to school and do you teach it to your kid(s)?
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, every year Montipelier celebrates constitution day. I went a couples of years ago and had a lot of fun. They had a marched band dressed up like british soldiers. My 5 year old came running down the walkway saying the British are coming! LOL They even someone giving a speech dressed like Thomas Jefferson. It was really neat. We are actually going tomorrow for James Madison's 263rd birthday.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Oh that sounds like you guys had some fun! How was James Madison's birthday party? Did you go?

Quoting jen2150: Yes, every year Montipelier celebrates constitution day. I went a couples of years ago and had a lot of fun. They had a marched band dressed up like british soldiers. My 5 year old came running down the walkway saying the British are coming! LOL They even someone giving a speech dressed like Thomas Jefferson. It was really neat. We are actually going tomorrow for James Madison's 263rd birthday.
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope I did not know that & I don't remember being taught that in school!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM
I don't think I was taught either!

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Honestly I don't remember most of what was taught to me in school! What I remember is I hated being there & spent more time daydreaming & trying to get out of going!

Quoting kirbymom: I don't think I was taught either!
Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM
You know, I remember a few things but I remember most.. wishing that I had another alternative way to learn. I hope that my kids have better memories of school than I have.

Quoting usmom3:

Honestly I don't remember most of what was taught to me in school! What I remember is I hated being there & spent more time daydreaming & trying to get out of going!

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I know my oldest that went to PS for 7 1/2 years before we pulled him out is very glad we became homeschoolers! I can only hope my younger 2 know how lucky they are!

Quoting kirbymom: You know, I remember a few things but I remember most.. wishing that I had another alternative way to learn. I hope that my kids have better memories of school than I have.
Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Learned a lot of history but it was very cold. We had a winter storm coming in that evening. Today was a snow day. :-(

Quoting kirbymom: Oh that sounds like you guys had some fun! How was James Madison's birthday party? Did you go?

Quoting jen2150: Yes, every year Montipelier celebrates constitution day. I went a couples of years ago and had a lot of fun. They had a marched band dressed up like british soldiers. My 5 year old came running down the walkway saying the British are coming! LOL They even someone giving a speech dressed like Thomas Jefferson. It was really neat. We are actually going tomorrow for James Madison's 263rd birthday.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM
I love history. What did you learn that sticks out the most in your memory?

Quoting jen2150: Learned a lot of history but it was very cold. We had a winter storm coming in that evening. Today was a snow day. :-(

Quoting kirbymom: Oh that sounds like you guys had some fun! How was James Madison's birthday party? Did you go?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I've taught it to my kids, but I was never taught it in school. I learned about it from my grandparents who immigrated from Germany. They saw it as a major holiday (citizenship day)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)