Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

WWYD? Childcare related, kind of OT

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH has been offered a different position at work that comes with an almost $3/hour pay raise (which still doesn't put him where he should be, but it's obviously better than what he is making now).  The new position would have him working 2nd shift, M-F.  I work pt, my typical schedule is M 12-6, T 3-6, Th 12-6, F 3-6...plus almost an hour for travel time.  I make a decent amount (about $2.50/hr more than DH's new pay rate).  I also work one Wednesday a month.

We are trying to figure out what our options are.  DH wants to send them to the Y for the "after school program" there, he figures they will get interaction with other kids their age and it could be PE time.  I am not completely against this, but they were in ps for years and I am iffy about leaving them alone in the group setting of ps kids again.  The other issue with this is that they would have to be picked up by 6pm, so I would have to try to change my work schedule or have my MIL pick them up.

Another option would be to ask family and friends to each take a day.  We have my MIL, my parents (last ditch option for us), a close family friend, DH's grandmother (who is old, but still would be fine because our kids are not little and do not require any real taking care of or entertaining at this point and grandma is capable of driving, etc still..she is very independent-and DH's younger brother lives in her house so he could be home as well, he is 22), and I asked our neighbor who homeschools if her DD would be interested...but the kids would have to go to their house which I feel may make mom feel put out.

Our kids are 10.5 and 11.5.  We tried leaving them home alone once for one hour, they panicked when the fridge made a noise and they thought a stranger was at the door.  They called me at work all freaked out.  So they really just aren't ready to be completely alone yet.

What would you do?  I am really leaning toward doing the Y just one day a week and asking others to help out the other days, but I don't want to put other people out too much either.  I emailed the Y lady to find out details so I'm waiting to see what that looks like and will cost.

I wish the new position paid a lot more, then I would just quit my job or work like 2 days a week instead of 4 or 5, lol.

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I would go with the Y myself. The rec center by us has that type of program and I've heard its a lot of fun.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If the people next door are willing I'd goin with them.

In the meantime I'd leave the kids alone for five minutes while I went for a walk and build up to going to the store and so on. Tell them to think logically about what a noise is. Sit and listen to noises in the house with them. Let them tell you what they think a noise is, then you tell them what it really is. Just some ideas.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this
The neighbor said, bottom line, they will help with whatever we need. But she is having her 5th child this spring. She says when you have 5 kids, what's 2 more...but I feel like it's a lot. The thing that makes me ok with it is that she said she would drag them around wherever she needs to go (which tells me she doesn't mind treating them like her own kids) and she has one older that is 14, then there will be 4 littles (all boys ages 5, 3, 1.5, and coming soon), I think my kids could help care for or entertain the bigger two of the littles.

So I'm thinking maybe the Y 2 days a week and the neighbors 2 days a week. And meanwhile, we will build up to staying home alone. I am also hoping that in the summer my schedule can go to mornings, but then it would go back to afternoons in the fall. Or, ideally, DH will find a better paying job and I can stay home eventually.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

If the people next door are willing I'd goin with them.

In the meantime I'd leave the kids alone for five minutes while I went for a walk and build up to going to the store and so on. Tell them to think logically about what a noise is. Sit and listen to noises in the house with them. Let them tell you what they think a noise is, then you tell them what it really is. Just some ideas.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I cracked up about the noise.  My kids are so loud themselves that they wouldn't even hear if the fridge exploded.  :)  Good luck with the decision!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM
It was so frustrating but worrisome at the same time! I don't have a job where I can be on the phone while I'm working. The dog didn't bark which he really would if someone was at the door, but since I was worried I didn't even think to ask. I was only about 20 min away, but that's far if someone is kidnapping your kids, lol. Mil was on her way there. It was just too stressful, lol. They are plenty loud when I'm home or when DH is trying to sleep, lol.

Quoting hwblyf:

I cracked up about the noise.  My kids are so loud themselves that they wouldn't even hear if the fridge exploded.  :)  Good luck with the decision!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd do the y and then just have the family/friends do the hour or so after they are picked up at the y rather than feel like I'm imposing on family/friends by scheduling them for full days each week.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids will tell us the most mundane garbage (so and so is touching me), but FAIL to mention that the then 3 year old climbed the fence and left the yard.  :(  We got called on our walk around the neighborhood today just to check on us and make sure we're ok.  Darn that day we taught them to use the phone!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: It was so frustrating but worrisome at the same time! I don't have a job where I can be on the phone while I'm working. The dog didn't bark which he really would if someone was at the door, but since I was worried I didn't even think to ask. I was only about 20 min away, but that's far if someone is kidnapping your kids, lol. Mil was on her way there. It was just too stressful, lol. They are plenty loud when I'm home or when DH is trying to sleep, lol.
Quoting hwblyf:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I just recently left my kids alone for a few minutes....the first time my eldest forced his younger brother to do chores. The second time my kids called me, I thought there was an emergency, the emergency was "what's the password on the iPad?" Lol

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I routinely get text messages such as "can we play the Xbox?" And "can we have candy/cookies/etc after lunch?" Because right now, DH sleeps during the beginning of my time away from home...he gets up around 3 usually, so depending on the day they are "alone" for 1-3 hours...they are totally fine though because he is home, just sleeping...but they NEVER need him, just the random questions for me, lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I just recently left my kids alone for a few minutes....the first time my eldest forced his younger brother to do chores. The second time my kids called me, I thought there was an emergency, the emergency was "what's the password on the iPad?" Lol

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine still come to the bathroom to ask if I'm ok if I'm in the shower and they hear me drop the soap or knock down a bottle of shampoo. Honestly, I've been showering alone for quite some time now, I really can handle it. Lol

Quoting hwblyf:

My kids will tell us the most mundane garbage (so and so is touching me), but FAIL to mention that the then 3 year old climbed the fence and left the yard.  :(  We got called on our walk around the neighborhood today just to check on us and make sure we're ok.  Darn that day we taught them to use the phone!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: It was so frustrating but worrisome at the same time! I don't have a job where I can be on the phone while I'm working. The dog didn't bark which he really would if someone was at the door, but since I was worried I didn't even think to ask. I was only about 20 min away, but that's far if someone is kidnapping your kids, lol. Mil was on her way there. It was just too stressful, lol. They are plenty loud when I'm home or when DH is trying to sleep, lol.

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)