Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Intentions vs. reality

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
  • 34 Replies
3 moms liked this

Disclaimer: I do realize that every year in public school, we rarely "finished" our books.   That we move at our own pace, that we have individualized learning, that we teach more than just ONE class or ONE grade level.  

However, did you have many expectations and intentions this year that you just haven't been getting accomplished?   Or are you good at setting reasonable goals and mucking out and getting them done?

I actually had the foolish idea that we would accomplish TWO science classes this year, and it looks like we aren't going to finish one.   We were going to do BOTH astronomy and anatomy (apologia for the younger grades)..   Yeah... LOL!   That has turned into a joke.

It's only going to get harder.   My older kids are getting into more serious academics and Abby is struggling to read and write... her writing is still very preK at the tail end of Kindy.  Then I have the toddler who JUST a few weeks ago entered the terrible twos.  ((I keep getting "love notes" about his behavior in church nursery.  I'm going to have to pull him out of there so I can address his behavior myself.  He's not old enough to reason with yet, and I'm not there to discipline it.))

Anyway, I have this perception of how I want our schooling to go, how I want my family to be... 

and nothing is how I intend.

What about you guys, do you have intentions and fail as miserably as I am?   Am I alone in this??

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I was going to get through SOTW Ancients this year, yeah that isn't even close to happening.  I am not worried about it though.  We are ahead in Math and LA so it all tends to even out I think.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I've fallen face first over many of things I had hoped would work or go a certain way.  At least one thing a year is like this, school or life wise.  Lol

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM

We quit doing calendar math last month, then when March started I reset the calendar and thought, "ok we need to do this every morning again, I need to get back on track." Currently my March calendar goes through the 7th and it says today is Tuesday and tomorrow will be Wednesday....opps! I realize doing or not doing calendar isn't going to make or break my 4year old's education but I really need to follow through, next year calendar math has even more components and we should have built the routine in this year but my son is just not into it and I hate fighting about doing the calendar which seems like a foolish thing to battle about.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Omg yes! I had all these pretty things planned out. DD would do the bulk of her work online and independently and ds would be progressing nicely with his reading and writing. I mean, he'd have to! I bought all these super interesting books and writing ideas ready. *Snort*

DD does very little work online and doesn't stay focused unless I'm sitting right next to her. Reading and writing with ds is a joke. I've gotten desperate enough to buy ds is own cell phone so he can text and grin with delight when he copies down videos from YouTube to watch on his laptop or reads the text on minecraft.

The only real progress we seem to be making is math and science. I can't beleive how much better DD is doing in math. Math used to be her worst subject, now it's her best. Since ds discovered math and science, it's all I can do to keep up with him,lol.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM

In the past few months, things have been better, school-wise for us. I'm still in a bit of a funk and miss Autumn, as well as dealing with some problems she's having at school, which are filtering into home (nothing she's doing wrong, but the school set up).

I'm still moderately happy with where DS is in his academics. My plans fell a bit behind, but he was ahead to begin with, so I'm not entirely concerned about it. I've used the bulk of the past few months getting my 20 month old used to playing for short increments in his play pen so that I can work with Nico.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM

We've been at the HS thing for over a decade, so it's kinda like clockwork. We meet my expectations there. 

Family wise, I'm always thinking communication will improve between my eldest (on the autism spectrum) and my hubby. But my eldest is going to be 13 and it hasn't improved yet, so I've just about given up the ghost on that. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM
3 moms liked this

You should look at things more like a big pot of spaghetti noodles. You throw a whole bunch at the wall and hope that some of it sticks. LOL

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Yeah...we are on chapter 5 of 13 social studies and only on unit 3 in science!

Quoting kmath:

I was going to get through SOTW Ancients this year, yeah that isn't even close to happening.  I am not worried about it though.  We are ahead in Math and LA so it all tends to even out I think.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM
I think it is bugging me more because this lack of success is touching everything.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I've fallen face first over many of things I had hoped would work or go a certain way.  At least one thing a year is like this, school or life wise.  Lol

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Haa haa... we finally did our hundred days celebration and gave up on the calendar board.

I think next year it will be a count down board for the hundred days and then switch gears. We seem to do better when we change stuff up.

Quoting Molimomma:

We quit doing calendar math last month, then when March started I reset the calendar and thought, "ok we need to do this every morning again, I need to get back on track." Currently my March calendar goes through the 7th and it says today is Tuesday and tomorrow will be Wednesday....opps! I realize doing or not doing calendar isn't going to make or break my 4year old's education but I really need to follow through, next year calendar math has even more components and we should have built the routine in this year but my son is just not into it and I hate fighting about doing the calendar which seems like a foolish thing to battle about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN