Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Disclaimer: I do realize that every year in public school, we rarely "finished" our books.   That we move at our own pace, that we have individualized learning, that we teach more than just ONE class or ONE grade level.  

However, did you have many expectations and intentions this year that you just haven't been getting accomplished?   Or are you good at setting reasonable goals and mucking out and getting them done?

I actually had the foolish idea that we would accomplish TWO science classes this year, and it looks like we aren't going to finish one.   We were going to do BOTH astronomy and anatomy (apologia for the younger grades)..   Yeah... LOL!   That has turned into a joke.

It's only going to get harder.   My older kids are getting into more serious academics and Abby is struggling to read and write... her writing is still very preK at the tail end of Kindy.  Then I have the toddler who JUST a few weeks ago entered the terrible twos.  ((I keep getting "love notes" about his behavior in church nursery.  I'm going to have to pull him out of there so I can address his behavior myself.  He's not old enough to reason with yet, and I'm not there to discipline it.))

Anyway, I have this perception of how I want our schooling to go, how I want my family to be... 

and nothing is how I intend.

What about you guys, do you have intentions and fail as miserably as I am?   Am I alone in this??

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM
We finally seem to have our groove almost kind of down. I need to add in more structured writing. We seem to be fine on everything else but doing different kinds of writing keeps slipping right past me.
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:21 PM

With our curriculum....I intend for us to finish and we usually do.  However, with the art project book with our curriculum we won't finish.  It isn't going to kill my children to have missed a few art projects here or there....they are mostly cut out this and glue that, draw this here and punch a hole there.  Nothing overly creative on their parts.  They have stuff to be creative on their own.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM

It will get better.  You are finding out now what doesn't work and can change it for the better.

Quoting KrissyKC: I think it is bugging me more because this lack of success is touching everything.
Quoting Silverkitty:

I've fallen face first over many of things I had hoped would work or go a certain way.  At least one thing a year is like this, school or life wise.  Lol

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Mine will learn (and retain) most things if we work together audibly and hands on.

Silent reading or asking them to read it themselves or written work... basically everything that takes actual work is much more difficult.

Quoting Mandallyn: Yes, I had a lot of goals set up that we didn't reach. I'm changing strategies once again. I've even changed to work boxes to try and give him freedom and help him see how light his work load really is.

Nothing has helped. I don't know if we're going to slow for him and he's bored, or if we're just trying to get him to work with a method that is not conducive to his learning and motivation styles.

We have a lot that didn't get finished and I'm really hopeful we manage to get through his evaluation unscathed.
Mandallyn
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Yep, mine is pretty much the same. Although he is good at reading by himself.

Quoting KrissyKC: Mine will learn (and retain) most things if we work together audibly and hands on.

Silent reading or asking them to read it themselves or written work... basically everything that takes actual work is much more difficult.

Quoting Mandallyn: Yes, I had a lot of goals set up that we didn't reach. I'm changing strategies once again. I've even changed to work boxes to try and give him freedom and help him see how light his work load really is.

Nothing has helped. I don't know if we're going to slow for him and he's bored, or if we're just trying to get him to work with a method that is not conducive to his learning and motivation styles.

We have a lot that didn't get finished and I'm really hopeful we manage to get through his evaluation unscathed.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Oh shoot, they can read. The difference is between wanting to read and having to.

I actually have to include books (for fun reading) when grounding my oldest. Otherwise, the grounding is ineffective because she will happily read instead.

Quoting Mandallyn: Yep, mine is pretty much the same. Although he is good at reading by himself.

Quoting KrissyKC: Mine will learn (and retain) most things if we work together audibly and hands on.

Mandallyn
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM

What kinds of writing do you do?

Quoting TidewaterClan: We finally seem to have our groove almost kind of down. I need to add in more structured writing. We seem to be fine on everything else but doing different kinds of writing keeps slipping right past me.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:32 AM

i worry I"m failing every day! I thought we'd breeze through more stuff. I put my emphasis on reading every day and math every day. But now that we're though a reading program I had bought, I think I can relax a bit and delve more into reading any area of interest for fun. I feel like I"m totally flying by the seat of my patns in writing, but ds is only 1- and writing isn't his strongest point for now. And I still spend a lot of timre reading curriculum reviews and trying to determine if there is something better out there I should be using.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

We have Reading Street for our reading program.  It's great at dishing out different kinds of stories.  I've had the girls write according to what type of stories or poems we've done in RS that week.  We've mixed it up between fiction and non-fiction, including research.  We have Prentice Hall's Writing and Grammar for the technical side, and they both like that.

The thing that I'm worried about is the ps schools here absolutely SLAM the students with writing.  They hardly discuss the how to or whys, but keep handing out non-stop assignments about it.  My girlfriend who is going to assess us has three daughters in ps, including the 6th grade like Haley.  I'm hoping she doesn't compare us to what her girls have had to do, and looks at the quality of work instead.  I tend to worry way more than I need to on most things though!

Quoting Mandallyn:

What kinds of writing do you do?

Quoting TidewaterClan: We finally seem to have our groove almost kind of down. I need to add in more structured writing. We seem to be fine on everything else but doing different kinds of writing keeps slipping right past me.

Nesiconet
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I find that with her tuter she makes more than expected progress, at the subjects her father and I have passion for and studied thruoughly (so, what our BA, MA and Doctorats touches) she does well, but whatever we find must be in her curriculem but does not fall undrer these catagories we are behind our expectation. We are concidering adding more teachers next year, as she still is very young, however, there is a limit to the amount of teachers one family can employ and to find good ones, that would teach online is not easy. One other thing I noticed:  in some of her tutering lessons 4 other kids are present, at these she does particularly well. She thrives in competition, my baby... I wish there was something out there that could help with some external structure.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)