Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Disclaimer: I do realize that every year in public school, we rarely "finished" our books.   That we move at our own pace, that we have individualized learning, that we teach more than just ONE class or ONE grade level.  

However, did you have many expectations and intentions this year that you just haven't been getting accomplished?   Or are you good at setting reasonable goals and mucking out and getting them done?

I actually had the foolish idea that we would accomplish TWO science classes this year, and it looks like we aren't going to finish one.   We were going to do BOTH astronomy and anatomy (apologia for the younger grades)..   Yeah... LOL!   That has turned into a joke.

It's only going to get harder.   My older kids are getting into more serious academics and Abby is struggling to read and write... her writing is still very preK at the tail end of Kindy.  Then I have the toddler who JUST a few weeks ago entered the terrible twos.  ((I keep getting "love notes" about his behavior in church nursery.  I'm going to have to pull him out of there so I can address his behavior myself.  He's not old enough to reason with yet, and I'm not there to discipline it.))

Anyway, I have this perception of how I want our schooling to go, how I want my family to be... 

and nothing is how I intend.

What about you guys, do you have intentions and fail as miserably as I am?   Am I alone in this??

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Replies (31-34):
zoe090
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Mums! In admiration that there are so many Mum's who persevere with home schooling despite it not always being a walk in the park (or so it sounds). I'm in the process of conceiving and am looking into alternative schooling options. I am intrigued what your motivations are for home schooling - is it a lack of suitable alternatives? Or a specific passion for educating? Keeping the family together? 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Hello! Amen..amen..amen! That is so me too!

Quoting Silverkitty:

I've fallen face first over many of things I had hoped would work or go a certain way.  At least one thing a year is like this, school or life wise.  Lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi! To answer your question, I would say that it would be all of the reasons you mentioned. Some will have a reason that may be a bit more of a reason than the others but once you get into homeschooling, it become about doing what you have to do and be what you have to be for your kid(s) .

Quoting zoe090:

Hi Mums! In admiration that there are so many Mum's who persevere with home schooling despite it not always being a walk in the park (or so it sounds). I'm in the process of conceiving and am looking into alternative schooling options. I am intrigued what your motivations are for home schooling - is it a lack of suitable alternatives? Or a specific passion for educating? Keeping the family together? 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM
There are a ton of reasons...

Some of us feel that we can actually give the kids a stronger academic base than the ps is doing right now.

Some of us don't appreciate the level of other crud that is in the schools.

Some of us want to spend more time building up the family or the character traits in our kids.

Some of us want to teach according to our religion/faith.

Some of us have encountered serious problems with our kids' public school experience.

Some of us find that hsing provides a much more peaceful and low stress environment for the kids.

Some of us have kids with special needs that are proving to be better met at home.

You might get more answers if you make a new post asking this. People who have read my op enough times might not even open it again.

But I love it... hsing. While there are challenges and missed expectations, my kids are still excelling.

Quoting zoe090:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)