Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ugh inlaws

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM
  • 18 Replies
My inlaws popped by today, unplanned lol, but that was ok. My husband stepped out on the phone and dh left his monster drink so my oldest, Damien was going to bring it to him..where my fil and I told him to stop and put it back. My fil said "I know what you really were going to do, you were going to drink.some". He said no. I believed him but my fil didnt and they kepy going back and forth and I could see Damien getting frustrated so decided to change the subject. I told Damien to tell fil how many chapters he read (he was so proud of himself). so they started to talk about that. Fil asked Damien to tell him about the book, so he got out the book and started to look for the names and ages of the characters (he forgot which character was which age). My fil asked him to.just tell him what he remembered and he didnt want to (btw Damien is 7). So, he looked at me and said "teacher, I guess you know now to work on reading comprehension". I told him that he told me the entire story today, so I knee that wasnt an issue. So they started talking about movies and he wanted to put on the movie to show him, but fil said he wanted to talk. He wanted to "interact" not watch a movie, which btw is ironic because when we go.to their house the tv is always on. Damien didnt know what interaction meant. My fil made another comment (cant remember exactly what) that put down the fact that he's homeschooled. Sigh. It frustrated me so much that, first off, they question mt ability to teach my kids (which btw I got a BA so that I could teach kids) and second that they automatically assume that my kids dont have contact with other people, they get more interaction than most school kids!

Also, kind of funny. We went the park last week together. There was this boy and girl Damien's age that they were playing with. My dh assumed that they were homeschooled because ofnhow they were playing. One kids insisted that ghosts were real (I dont see how that is a school or homeschool thing). Well, before they left dh asked what school they went to. One names this private school near us, and the other names a charter (we have several.charters, some are homeschool charters and some are not). Anyways he was surprised.
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Does FIL act like that when your husband is present?  Sounds like he's a bit full of himself.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Yep he does. Its been awhile since he has been so negative. There is a huge fear about homeschooling in dh's family.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Does FIL act like that when your husband is present?  Sounds like he's a bit full of himself.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Is he around any other children aside from yours?  He may not realize how ahead of the ballgame you all are. 

My sil just got her teaching degree and won't even talk to us about school.  When she does it's just to quiz the girls.  It's a pain that's for sure.

Quoting Precious333: Yep he does. Its been awhile since he has been so negative. There is a huge fear about homeschooling in dh's family.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

You need to set some boundaries. Nobody (family included) is allowed discipline my children (including telling them what to or not to do) in my presence - your FIL would have had an earful from me on that one.

You also may need to set some ground rules about asking your children about their schoolwork, lol.

I'm sorry that happened.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Some of it just lessons the longer you HS and your kids don't turn into weirdo's. My inlaws now tell me I'm doing a great job (their praise isn't all that important I'm my opinion) but for the first few years they were constantly quizzing my kids. It cracked me up because my kids were the type that NEVER answered quiz questions correctly, intentionally. Their premise was "if you know the answer, why ask me?" Lol

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Nope he's not. Other than churcj

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Is he around any other children aside from yours?  He may not realize how ahead of the ballgame you all are. 

My sil just got her teaching degree and won't even talk to us about school.  When she does it's just to quiz the girls.  It's a pain that's for sure.

Quoting Precious333: Yep he does. Its been awhile since he has been so negative. There is a huge fear about homeschooling in dh's family.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Yeah, I struggle with boundaries.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You need to set some boundaries. Nobody (family included) is allowed discipline my children (including telling them what to or not to do) in my presence - your FIL would have had an earful from me on that one.

You also may need to set some ground rules about asking your children about their schoolwork, lol.

I'm sorry that happened.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Lol!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Some of it just lessons the longer you HS and your kids don't turn into weirdo's. My inlaws now tell me I'm doing a great job (their praise isn't all that important I'm my opinion) but for the first few years they were constantly quizzing my kids. It cracked me up because my kids were the type that NEVER answered quiz questions correctly, intentionally. Their premise was "if you know the answer, why ask me?" Lol

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Lol!

Quoting KickButtMama:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

That is super annoying....bright side: You don't have to LIVE with him! lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)