Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If something were to happen to you do you have a back up plan?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you died do you and your spouse have a plan of action when it comes to the kids and schooling and such? My husband and I were talking about if something were to happen to me what would he do. To my surprise he said he would keep homeschooling the kids. He wants me to get things all in order in a place so he knows what to do and how to go about doing it. We are also looking into life insurance for me as I don't have any. 

Is this something that has been discussed in your family?  

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Replies (11-19):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

That's cool. My oldest is old enough to help out with the younger kids if needed. 

Quoting mom2gdj:

Yes we have life insurance. I have a child who will be graduating this year and if something happened to me she would take over the schooling for her brother and sister with help from dad.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

My kids were suppose to go to my mom with my sisters help but that is not happening now.  My husband would probably stay with the lady we are living (who is a good friend) with and the kids would go to public school.  They would fight for them to have the best ecucation possible there.  I know that they would be raised to be smart,  independant, and kind.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to be honest, dh couldn't handle this. Nor could any family members.

Yes, I totally know my kids would have a huge change in their lives.

My eldest would struggle the hardest in ps, but if she couldn't fit in within a yr or two, she would be old enough to try computer learning like S.O.S. a friend of ours graduated using it so he could be there to help point her in the right direction.

My next one learns best teaching like school at home and he does better socially and with getting his work done...so he would manage.

My third is only KG so not too much of a change, but I am about 99.999% sure they would have her on meds by then end of the first month.

My fourth is just a toddler, so he would not know different.

Dh would be impacted most. He is not great at parenting. I'm not trying to talk down on him, but he would only survive by the grace of god.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM
I've tried talking about things like this with dh, but he won't. My mom has said before she would teach them if I had to go to work or something. I'm not sure how that would play out with her helping my sister with her kids. Other than that I'm really not sure.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM

My children would end up attending school on post.  If my husband was to deploy the kids would go live with their Godfather, and hopefully be homeschooled as we are helping them start homeschooling their own children.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Mine would continue to homeschool.  I know he would eventually figure it all out, but this is the journey he chose for us and I have had to do all the work.  He would make it happen.  If something were to happen to us...the kids would go to his mom and I think she would probably put them in a small private school and hire a nanny to help her, but she would get through it.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I have no idea what dh would do with ds. The girls would go to PS. Little dd is already in ps and oldest dd wants to go. DS can't handle classroom settings and in the event of my death, I don't see him handling much of anything :-/ Hmmm... maybe a private tutor? 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:11 AM

I've asked family members what would happen if me and dh died. The answers were not comforting to say the least :-/

My mom said she would take 14yo dd and possibly 7yo dd if she had too but she wouldn't take 9yo ds. Mil and sil said the same. My sister said she would take all the kids but I know that would be a disaster. She can barely handle her own son. The last thing I'd want is for ds to be separated from his sisters on top of losing his mom and dad :-(

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Awww. DD said she wouldn't leave her brother behind. She'd make whoever took her and dd, take her brother too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)