Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading troubles

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

We have seemed to have hit a road block here with reading. My daughter who is 6 almost 7 has no desire it seems to learn reading. She know all her  nouns, letter sounds and even how to sound out certain words but thats where her interest stops. I even ask her if she wants to read and she says no followed by a "well maybe" and a shrug of the sholders. I am trying not to get fustrated or be pushy but i feel like she sould already be reading at least a little. 

She is on the other hand AMAZING with math and anything else. Its just reading. 

Help!?!?!?! pleease! 

by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Why not put out a bunch of interesting books on the coffee table, set aside a half an hour for perusing books during the afternoon?

Also instead of asking her if she wants to read, ask her would you like to read this book or that book?  Then no isn't an appropriate answer.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM
We use Explode the Code and it has helped my 6 yr old learn to read. We also stayed the McGuffey set. You can get the McGuffey stuff free on kindle.
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like she just needs interesting reading material left out where she can find it. Also don't stop reading to her just because she knows how to read! Children love to be read to even after they learn to read to themselves.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM

What about a reading game like Ooka Island or Reading Eggs?  How about read along books with CDs (check the library). 

Most days I have DD4 pick 4 books. Two I'm going to read and two she is going to read.

What about books where she picks the ending or the next scene (I cannot recall what those books are called.)

Is she interested in something like planets, animals, cooking, etc? Can you try to incorporate reading about the topics she is interested in?

I also sometimes sit and read with her and have DD read one page and I read the next one. Taking turns like that.

Country.Mom
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM

We go to the library three times a week. We have an amazing library where the whole downstairs is all for the kids and there are 100s of activities to do. She, and her two brothers, pick out three books each time we go. On top of the 100s of books we have at home. I am a big reader and have read to the kids every night before bed with out fail. She just can't seem to pick up the concept of how to read :/ I know its fustrating her a lot. I wish there was just some magic solution but i know there isn't. 

She love to cook with me and dose all the time. Also love anything sciense and art related. She would do art projects all day long if i let her and i have already tried to incorperate reading into art but she smelled that from a mile away and redused to even do art that week. 

Somthing has to give. I told her if she dosen't pick it up i will have no choise but to send her to school. I don't want to but if i can't help her than i have no choice. :/

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:32 AM

It sounds like you are sayig she knows all her sounds, she knows how to read, but shows little interest in

doing so.  That is common in some children. 

But is she knows her sounds, and is having trouble blending them to form words, this video will help:

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
So,just for the sake of argument, what's the worst that could happen if she didn't read til ,say, age 10? Barring any disability, how bad would it be if she simply didn't show any interest for several more years? My youngest was nearly 10 before he wanted to even try. He knew most letter sounds and basic phonics rules by 5 or 6, and was read to constantly, but had zero inclination to try to decode on his own. He got a Minecraft account and overnight his reading level jumped to almost normal. Within a year he was on or above grade level. It just needed to be his idea and on his timetable.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as she enjoys being read to then I would worry. Maybe start with some comic books and build her confidence. My son didn't start reading on his own till around age 10. He turned 10 this past January. It takes time for some kids. I would give it time and makes sure she sees you reading every day. What are her favorite subjects? Find books that interest and leave them out so she can find them.
Country.Mom
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Would it be exceptable to just lete her go and start when she is ready? I hope i am not sounding nieve or like another on of "those" parents by saying that. I am fine with doing that  if thats the case. I want her to love ready but don't want to ruin it for her by pushing her to much. Her favorite subject is art and sciense

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:19 AM
On the flip side of what others are saying... do you think she needs evaluated for any type of dyslexia or other issue that might be holsing her back?

My third, just turned six, is NOT academic. She is very behind where her first two siblings were at her age. She is the only experience I have with a tougher learner.

She is having issues affecting several areas of her life and I'm debating on eval...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)