Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I ordered! Complete 180 from my original plans, but I ordered, lol.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

I decided I wanted a lesson plan this year with my middle boy; with eldest in brick and mortar school, and our schedule being largely dictated by her school schedule, and having a very mischievous toddler running around, I wanted something that I didn't have to spend hours planning, so...

I ordered Catholic Heritage Curriculum's 1st grade package, subbing out math (we use CLE and Miquon) and phonics (we're using PAL reading from IEW); we're using religion, social studies/character, science, handwriting, spelling, readers, and music from CHC with their lesson plans. I also have the Memoria Press Kindergarten Art cards for art appreciation.

It's all ordered, and it's all here! I also ordered a crap ton of awesome literature from Amazon - supplemental science readers, the Strega Nona books, and some others.

I looked through the materials last night and I can't wait! I have to start putting together the dozes of phonics games for PAL, so I hope to get started next week, as that'll take some time, lol.

*whew* Here's the hoping that going with my gut pays off :P

I love that the program focuses on fun character and faith formation, with character cards to color and "memory gems" to memorize for recitation; the science is colorful and looks like a blast, while not requiring anything that isn't able to be purchased at the grocery store; the readers are darling and very character focused, while being faith centered and enjoyable.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Yeah!  That's so exciting to be on a good path!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

It is exciting - and feels more relaxed than in years previous when I pieced my own materials together (it always worked well, but golly - it was a LOT of work!).

Science is still pretty piecemeal though, lol; I can't NOT supplement. The CHC science book is beautiful, but mostly nature study at this age, so I'm adding in some basic physics a la the "Let's Read and Find Out" science series, lol.

Quoting hwblyf:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I'm still piecing my own stuff together, and golly, it IS a lot of work!  :)  But I'm hopeful that I can do it better for this next year than I did for this year.  I've kinda petered out, so it's a good thing it's our last week or so.  :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It is exciting - and feels more relaxed than in years previous when I pieced my own materials together (it always worked well, but golly - it was a LOT of work!).

Science is still pretty piecemeal though, lol; I can't NOT supplement. The CHC science book is beautiful, but mostly nature study at this age, so I'm adding in some basic physics a la the "Let's Read and Find Out" science series, lol.

Quoting hwblyf:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Sooo exciting getting those new materials....it's like my drug of choice!

lovelylady83
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM

That's so fun!  I haven't ordered yet as I ordered WAY too much last year and we are still in the midst of our most recent move.  The rest of our stuff, the majority of my homeschool stuff, comes today.  I have to organized it all and weed through.  Decide what I am keeping for the long haul and what to sell off.  Then of course there is always the 'How to sell it for the most bang for my buck'.  

Like you I want one of those less stressed years than pulling it all together myself.  I have been strongly trying to force myself to just LOVE and buy either ALL Sonlight or ALL Moving Beyond the Page.  Problem I am having is deciding which to go with.  I mean we would still have our Nature Study, Latin, Art, Music and Math but IF I could just accept one then Science, History and LA would all be covered.  I am a control freak though and I am not sure I can do that LOL

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I finally had to come to grips with that I can't NOT supplement - it sounds like you need to do the same, lol. I keep looking at Memoria Press' beautiful grade level packages - then realizing that we put more emphasis on math and hate R&S math, more emphasis on science (and they do virtually none), we aren't protestant so we would have to sub out their Bible study, and sub their KJV verses for Catholic Bible verses in the copybooks, and I don't care for their phonics... and, well, what does that leave to the package? Lol. I look at them every week though :P

There's a very strong homeschool sell and trade group on facebook if you just search (on FB) "homeschooling buy and sell".

Quoting lovelylady83:

That's so fun!  I haven't ordered yet as I ordered WAY too much last year and we are still in the midst of our most recent move.  The rest of our stuff, the majority of my homeschool stuff, comes today.  I have to organized it all and weed through.  Decide what I am keeping for the long haul and what to sell off.  Then of course there is always the 'How to sell it for the most bang for my buck'.  

Like you I want one of those less stressed years than pulling it all together myself.  I have been strongly trying to force myself to just LOVE and buy either ALL Sonlight or ALL Moving Beyond the Page.  Problem I am having is deciding which to go with.  I mean we would still have our Nature Study, Latin, Art, Music and Math but IF I could just accept one then Science, History and LA would all be covered.  I am a control freak though and I am not sure I can do that LOL

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I know. Always a bit of a bummer when the last book arrives and you know there are no more packages. Kind of like when Christmas is over, lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Sooo exciting getting those new materials....it's like my drug of choice!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM

We have not ordered yet.  I'm feeling so late this year.  I hope you like everything!  Delivery day is like Christmas around here!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Good luck!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I get so excited when I get my things in the mail,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)