Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Their own computer? 

I'm considering getting my older 2 kids a computer to do activities on for school.  (foreign language, typing, learning games)  I was wondering if any of your kids have a laptop or computer.

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Mine have their own kids tablets. I only paid 100 each and am very glad that I did. We use the kindle app all the time.
Jenn8604
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM
No, he has his own ipad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 21, 2014 at 3:11 AM
My 13 yo has a laptop that we got him this past Christmas. He uses it for fun amd school. I also have a laptop they can use. There is also a shared desktop.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM
We have been considering it. Just a couple weeks ago I moved our 'older' laptop to the dining room where we do school (DH was using it, but he hardly ever used it) so the kids share that one. It has been working well so far. Before that, they were using my newer one (touch screen, and even I am nervous to break it!) and it was harder because I need one as well. Having the older one just there for them has made things a lot easier. They don't have to ask if they can go on (for school work) and so far, they have been good at taking turns and not fighting over it.

We may ask my parents to get them each one for their birthdays this summer, but we might wait a little longer too. They will be 11 and 12 and would still have restrictions, but it might be easier to each have their own, especially once they start actual online classes.
bcogoli
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:04 AM

No, we have 1 laptop and I think the kids have only used it twice at most. I am thinking of trying some online curriculum next year so that may change.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:05 AM

We are seriously considering it, but it won't be anything fancy. It'll be the basic of the basic, with Microsoft Office, and enough memory and harddrive space for saving assignments, and getting online for research and a few classes we do online (like typing). 

haskins46563
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Yes. I bought them each their own laptop when we started homeschooling almost 2 years ago. Our desktop computer holds all of our business files. I don't want to run the risk of losing it over something a kid did. (Ironically we just had to replace it when the motherboard fizzled out). Anywho, I got them their own colored laptops from hp. They aren't the fanciest but it works great they can play online side by side and laptops are portable so they don't need a dedicated desk. 

ETA: my kids are now 7 and 10

AmyG1976
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM

No  not there own. We have two laptops and a desk top they use but they are the families.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM
My 4 oldest have/ had their own computers. I am thinking of letting my younger three share one.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

we have two laptops, one that the kids can use. They also got ipad minis from grandma. They use the ipad minis for pretty much only games. They are allowed to use the ipads only on weekends. The computer is used mostly for school work, but they do play minecraft on it sometimes too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN