Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Their own computer? 

I'm considering getting my older 2 kids a computer to do activities on for school.  (foreign language, typing, learning games)  I was wondering if any of your kids have a laptop or computer.

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Replies (21-29):
N1ght1ngale
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Yes..since they were like three.. Awesome teaching tool..also teaches them to type.. Cursive may be important..ish.. But let's face it, a job application won't ask about our hand writing skills..

onetoknow4
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Homeschooling three kids--- it certainly HELPS!!  (smile)

I use the desk top for my school work, and other things.  The children use the desktop, and my iphone for the ABCYA, and multiplication.com, and other games.  I use the oth unactivated phone which has educational gadgets downloaded on it as well.   Each child has time for their work, and it works out well.

LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Today at 6:40 PM
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM

DS is an only...so yes he does. We're a computeriffic family actually. There are 4 people in this house, and probably.... 6 or 7 computer-type things in this house ( 1 includes DHs ipad).

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Yes, they have their own laptops. They are older ones we fixed up. They use them for their computer science class.
Hanab818
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM

We got them kindles for their christmas present. we have tons of apps on there, but my kids are still very young. We will probably get them laptops around maybe 6th grade.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Yes my ds has a laptop but it's school only. He has an iPad for games. 

Molimomma
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Mine has his own ipad mini but not his own computer. He is young yet though. I would say if you child is at an age where they are starting to write papers, do research, or have a lot of online work to do yes, but otherwise they can share for awhile.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM

They did, but it crashed. I allow them to use my laptop. They use it more than I do since I can do everything on my Galaxy.

Mweddle
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I am seriously considering buying 2 laptops for my 2 homeschoolers. (If I end up homeschooling the other two I might make them share the 2 I bought)  I know I want something with a cd/dvd rom.  I think it might be good for them to have for some of our programs so they could work at the same time at the table or in their rooms or whatever. During school hours (basically before dad gets home) it will be for learning things ONLY.  It just seems like they are kind of young.  (both 7)  But it might make homeschooling easier on me.  I guess I'll start looking at prices. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)