Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool conventions- Would you? Have you? Yay or nay?

Posted by   + Show Post

tell me your thoughts

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We have one here, and I've gone twice, but I didn't go this year. Partly because I don't feel a need to peruse the vendors - at this point, I know what I like and what I don't. Partly because the workshops just don't really appeal to me. And partly because the keynote speaker they brought in this year has views and opinions diametrically opposed to my own (exerting a massive amount of control on your children, spanking babies, etc. I didn't want to support that, at all.

When I have gone in the past, it's been kind of a mixed bag. And it's only 1/2 hour away. I definitely wouldn't travel a great distance to attend one.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I'm going today to the St Louis Homeschool Expo. I wasn't going to until I saw Lee Binz on the speaker list, and several discussions on high school, keeping records, college apps, and writing transcripts. All stuff I need right now.

It's $20 (because I forgot to buy my ticket ahead), and very religious, but there are enough other extras that the vendor hall is a fun place.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I've thought about it, but it is REALLY REALLY expensive to go.  I wouldn't really have anyone to keep the kids so that I can take my SO with me.

I really just want to put my hands on a few other curriculums and look at them before deciding if I want to switch.

snowangel1979
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
They have a little one around here, I went and was not impressed. The people selling things were nice.

It basically reminded me of a time share speech. LOL. The one set of speakers were for the public online school and the other speaker was for the homeschool academy thingy. (basically you can spend $200 an hour/ per semester for your child to go to homeschool "classes" one day a week, but if you use the online school you can get some classes free, she still emails me)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashybaby87
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I'd love to go to one, but never been. I would just like to experience what it's about and see what they have to offer.

Learn about healthier & safer all natural options without the high cost or sacrificing quality +make $$$ ➜ Read More You can also Get FREE SAMPLES by mail by joining my website! ➜ See how Oh, I also make Recycled Jewelry here! Have any questions? Just ask!
lovepotato
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM
I want to. There's one an hour south of me. My husband hates crowds and we would have no baby sitter so I would have to go alone. I don't know if I want to do that, so unless I find a friend to go with me, I might not go this year.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Seeing Lee Binz's (The Home Scholar) workshops was more than worth the price of admission.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

We have one here, and I've gone twice, but I didn't go this year. Partly because I don't feel a need to peruse the vendors - at this point, I know what I like and what I don't. Partly because the workshops just don't really appeal to me. And partly because the keynote speaker they brought in this year has views and opinions diametrically opposed to my own (exerting a massive amount of control on your children, spanking babies, etc. I didn't want to support that, at all.

When I have gone in the past, it's been kind of a mixed bag. And it's only 1/2 hour away. I definitely wouldn't travel a great distance to attend one.

Yea, I haven't found a convention that has speakers that I want too hear...so I'd essentially be going just for the vendors...yet I hate sales people...lol...so I've never gone. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Eww, I'd hate that! So much for meeting those who can commiserate and want to truly assist eachother in sharing the loads of HSing, instead feeling likes they are trying to sell you a lemon car...yuck!

Quoting snowangel1979: They have a little one around here, I went and was not impressed. The people selling things were nice. It basically reminded me of a time share speech. LOL. The one set of speakers were for the public online school and the other speaker was for the homeschool academy thingy. (basically you can spend $200 an hour/ per semester for your child to go to homeschool "classes" one day a week, but if you use the online school you can get some classes free, she still emails me)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Is there more than one expo in st louis? I went to the one at first evangelical free church on thursday.

My daughter's choir performed at the talent show.

It was free on thursday night. Next year I want to go to the speakers events over the weekend. Specifically the high school topics. However, I wasn't interested in paying for it this year.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm going today to the St Louis Homeschool Expo. I wasn't going to until I saw Lee Binz on the speaker list, and several discussions on high school, keeping records, college apps, and writing transcripts. All stuff I need right now.

It's $20 (because I forgot to buy my ticket ahead), and very religious, but there are enough other extras that the vendor hall is a fun place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)