Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OVERPRICED college advice alternatives???

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hello everyone!

I’m a worried mother of 3 trying to make sure my first gets into a good college after school and was hoping for some advice! 

Is it just me or is it seriously annoying about these admission consulting people charging thousands of dollars to review your kids essays, resume etc??? I personally would love to use this sort of service but just cant afford the sort of money they charge. It feels as though its not a level playing field when my son is competing against people getting all this advice that our family cant afford!! 

Are there any similar services where I can get someone who knows how to get into a good school to talk with my son and I about his essays?? I’d even be more than happy to pay a smart college kid who got into a good school to give some advice for a small fee (my budget is no more than $100) – has anyone else ever searched for anything like this before? Does it exist???

Thank you all so much and god bless

Jenn
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I had no idea such people existed, honestly. IMO if you do great on SAT's and such then you have the basics. There are tons of free websites w/ advice, and tons of books available as well. Good luck!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I have no clue but here's a bump!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Never heard of people like that but I wasn't looking to get my kids to the Ivy league either.

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I didn't know anything like that existed either.  We plan on doing the smaller community college for classes during high school, then moving on to the community four year college dh and I went to afterwards.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I'd exhauset internet searches on college essay and admission tips and try to figure it out myself for free, before going the consultant route.

What colleges is he thinking of applying to? I'll read his essay for free and give feedback... buy I'm not a $100/hour consultant!!

momto3B
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM

What advice is your child's guidence counselor giving you? Can you contact you local university and find out if they have students who can help with the process for a lesser fee?  Lot of smart college studens out there who have just gone through the process themselves. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I really didn't know that there were people who were paid to read your child's essays and go over them with you then give advice on how to get into college. I think that if you do well with an SAT or ACT test and have good grades then you dhould do alright. Have you decided which college/university you want to attend?
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM

My advice:

AP and CLEP exams

katyq
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM

This not meant to be rude in any way...just want to point out that if a student is unable to write an essay that is of a high enough caliber to get into X university, then that university probably is too high a caliber for that student.

Katt709
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
There are college admissions consultants!? Wow. Yeah. Why not take advantage of your local high schools guidance counselor. That's why they're there. If not them, then just wing it. I've never heard of a consultant to get into college. Smh. What is the world coming to?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)