Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OVERPRICED college advice alternatives???

Posted by   + Show Post
Hello everyone!

I’m a worried mother of 3 trying to make sure my first gets into a good college after school and was hoping for some advice! 

Is it just me or is it seriously annoying about these admission consulting people charging thousands of dollars to review your kids essays, resume etc??? I personally would love to use this sort of service but just cant afford the sort of money they charge. It feels as though its not a level playing field when my son is competing against people getting all this advice that our family cant afford!! 

Are there any similar services where I can get someone who knows how to get into a good school to talk with my son and I about his essays?? I’d even be more than happy to pay a smart college kid who got into a good school to give some advice for a small fee (my budget is no more than $100) – has anyone else ever searched for anything like this before? Does it exist???

Thank you all so much and god bless

Jenn
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Replies (11-12):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Paying some one to fix up your essays and application is like setting the bar over the kids head and setting them up for failure.

Quoting katyq:

This not meant to be rude in any way...just want to point out that if a student is unable to write an essay that is of a high enough caliber to get into X university, then that university probably is too high a caliber for that student.

JulieBrown
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Maybe another parent with older children would be willing to do it.  :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)