Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Don't like to write? I'll get you a cell phone!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

This is my latest attempt at getting 9yo ds to write more. He has discovered the joy of texting. Anytime he can get a hold of dh's or my cell phone, he wants to text. So I talked it over with dh and we decided to get him his own cell phone. Ds is soo excited! He can't wait to get it. I told dh and dd to expect a lot of weird texts in the future,lol.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM

My 10 y/o DD loves to take my phone & text her Dad so I can relate but she is not getting a cell phone anytime soon!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Lol, it's not going to cost that much. Only $10 a month. 

Mostly I'm just excited that we wants to type!

Quoting usmom3:

My 10 y/o DD loves to take my phone & text her Dad so I can relate but she is not getting a cell phone anytime soon!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM
My 9 year old niece just got a texting app on her kindle. I could kill her mom for it! She doesn't like to write either. I love my niece but she once sent me 150 texts in a day!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:35 AM

I think it's a great idea... but at what point will you make him actually write? All jobs require a person to write on some level. Even my dyslexic daughter's special needs private school requires the children to hand write things in some classes (and the majority of these children struggle greatly with it).

But I'm all for technology too :) My kids have tablets, ipods, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:28 AM
I dont see how.this will benefit the child. Texting, with all the shorthand, makes for.VERY bad writing habits.

Unless.the deal is,"So many written assignments per day earns time on the phone", I would not.do it.

Good luck.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Bob Damn! Did you have a talk with her about that?

Quoting JasonsMom2007: My 9 year old niece just got a texting app on her kindle. I could kill her mom for it! She doesn't like to write either. I love my niece but she once sent me 150 texts in a day!

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

That's funny you should ask. He decided out of the blue yesterday to start writing his sister notes again. He wrote her a long note (39 words long to be exact) and only needed my help with 4 words. He spelled 'something' 'because' and 'instead' all by himself. I asked him where he learned those words (I know I didn't teach him) and he said, "I don't know".

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think it's a great idea... but at what point will you make him actually write? All jobs require a person to write on some level. Even my dyslexic daughter's special needs private school requires the children to hand write things in some classes (and the majority of these children struggle greatly with it).

But I'm all for technology too :) My kids have tablets, ipods, etc.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Why would he write in short hand? And no, no assignments for him. That would kill any interest he has in writing.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I dont see how.this will benefit the child. Texting, with all the shorthand, makes for.VERY bad writing habits. Unless.the deal is,"So many written assignments per day earns time on the phone", I would not.do it. Good luck.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I'm kind of in the ? Category but anything is worth a shot, I guess. 8) good luck!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Oh thank you. Anything to get him writing. 

Well, we're actually doing something else too that's a bit more controversial,lol. I didn't write about in here, I think it would get worse reactions,lol.

Quoting mem82: I'm kind of in the ? Category but anything is worth a shot, I guess. 8) good luck!

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN