Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my pediatrician seemed kinda lukewarm on homeschooling

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

my son and his twin sister just had an annual physical. My son was kind of proud to say he's a homeschooler now. The dr's face looked a tad bit alarmed to me. I told him it's going great and is a great fit and he's made amazing progress and the Dr was typing it all furiously into the computer! I kinda wish I hadn't said anything!! This needs to be in his medical record? He kind of went on about how he "supports that and has had patients successfully re-enter public school after a stint at homeschooling."

Whatever. I know I'm doing the right thing.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM

That was an odd reaction...

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

How old is your ds?

snowangel1979
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this
That is kinda a weird reaction.

He may not have been typing what you were saying. I wouldn't worry about it being in the medical file. The doctor I worked for used to type everything (ex:abdomen good soft and whatever, throat, ect,ect) the whole exam out while he was talking and then go back and change it if something wasn't fine.
If your really worried ask for a copy of the exam for your records and you'll see if It's in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM

ds is 10. 

All I can say is our entire family's stress level is practically zero since homeschooling ds. I really don't see him going back to public school ever, but if he really wanted to I'd give it a shot.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Good thing his job is to care about your children health & not there education! Dr. should have no opinion about how their patents are educated!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this
That would make me want to change providers.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Are you in an area where there's not many homeschoolers? I think the idea of homeschooling & the amount of people doing it is increasing, but he may only know a few families who are doing it.

And our pedi types away like crazy every appointment & my kids aren't even school age yet
4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine types everything too. It was kind of funny because I had to get a copy of all of their medical records when we temporarily moved out of state and one page had a whole paragraph about how my mood seemed fine and I seemed to be adjusting well to a new baby.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Oh I know what you mean. Ever since pulling ds out of school, our stress level has gone way down! He's 9 and I have no plans on sending him back either.

Quoting Chasing3:

ds is 10. 

All I can say is our entire family's stress level is practically zero since homeschooling ds. I really don't see him going back to public school ever, but if he really wanted to I'd give it a shot.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM

yes, Massachusetts, north of Boston. Not many homeschoolers, I don't think.

Generally, people in Mass seem to think the schools are so great and that standardized tests are awesome and we should have more...

Quoting collinsmommy0: Are you in an area where there's not many homeschoolers? I think the idea of homeschooling & the amount of people doing it is increasing, but he may only know a few families who are doing it. And our pedi types away like crazy every appointment & my kids aren't even school age yet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)