Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my pediatrician seemed kinda lukewarm on homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

my son and his twin sister just had an annual physical. My son was kind of proud to say he's a homeschooler now. The dr's face looked a tad bit alarmed to me. I told him it's going great and is a great fit and he's made amazing progress and the Dr was typing it all furiously into the computer! I kinda wish I hadn't said anything!! This needs to be in his medical record? He kind of went on about how he "supports that and has had patients successfully re-enter public school after a stint at homeschooling."

Whatever. I know I'm doing the right thing.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
arwalters
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Ew, couldn't stand to be around so many people who that like that lol. I tolerate plenty of uninformed and misled ppl as it is but there is a huge hs community where I live so that helps

Quoting Chasing3:

yes, Massachusetts, north of Boston. Not many homeschoolers, I don't think.

Generally, people in Mass seem to think the schools are so great and that standardized tests are awesome and we should have more...

Quoting collinsmommy0: Are you in an area where there's not many homeschoolers? I think the idea of homeschooling & the amount of people doing it is increasing, but he may only know a few families who are doing it.

And our pedi types away like crazy every appointment & my kids aren't even school age yet

arwalters
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:47 AM
You seem a little sensitive yourself lol

Quoting lancet98:

He's not allowed to have an opinion, even when its a LOOK that you're going by and he didn't even actually SAY anything anti-homeschooling?

Wow you are harsh.

Guess what.   I don't like homeschooling either.   And I would not say anything past what the doc said to my friends who have already decided to do it because all they are going to do is get pissed, because their minds are made up and they aren't going to change their minds.   This is one issue where people are super close minded and stubborn.

But to not even allow him to raise his eyebrows, jesus christ.   You certainly do want the world to bend to your will, don't you.

He was typing, eh, OH GOD.   Maybe he was typing in that your child may not get exposed to some common childhood illnesses, or that they would add some things to his physical, since he won't be having a gym class.  How in the hell do you assume you know he's typing in something negative.

Good god y'all are pretty damned sensitive.   When it gets to a point that someone can't disagree with you without raising your ire/suspicion/anger etc, you need to check yourself.

bcogoli
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Were in Mass too. Our Pedi is a big fan of us homeschooling. 

I feel like if you know your doing the right thing for your child then let him have his opinion and let him write it in the file. You know your doing what is best for your child so his opinion does not matter. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM

what's kind of ironic is we went to a pshcyologist at the end of last school year for lots of visits trying to figure out what to do and how to help him like school and try to do his work, etc. She found nothing wrong with him, she didn't recommend a neurospych eval, and thought the school's assessment of him showed more positives than negatives  - which I thought boded quite well for his mental health, as generally a psychologist would WANT to have patients and recommend more assessments, and get them on meds and a regular visit schedule, etc -- and after I told her we decided to homeschool the following school year, she said, "awesome! let's hope it goes well! You know where to find me if you need to come back, but I think I can release you a patient."

Quoting Bluecalm: The only really negative reaction I had was from the psychologist I took my son to last summer for ADHD testing. I've felt a few of his doctors were a little skeptical about using, but now we have a bunch of supporters. Once they saw his progress they were amazed.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Wow, what an awesome dr! When we had to find a neuro for my sons Aspergers eval I had to search for over a year to find one who would even see him without his ever being evaluated from a public school psychologist. None of them seemed to understand our house wasn't equipped with out own psychologist..lol...finally I found one who supported HS but it was a long frustrating time.

Quoting Chasing3:

what's kind of ironic is we went to a pshcyologist at the end of last school year for lots of visits trying to figure out what to do and how to help him like school and try to do his work, etc. She found nothing wrong with him, she didn't recommend a neurospych eval, and thought the school's assessment of him showed more positives than negatives  - which I thought boded quite well for his mental health, as generally a psychologist would WANT to have patients and recommend more assessments, and get them on meds and a regular visit schedule, etc -- and after I told her we decided to homeschool the following school year, she said, "awesome! let's hope it goes well! You know where to find me if you need to come back, but I think I can release you a patient."

Quoting Bluecalm: The only really negative reaction I had was from the psychologist I took my son to last summer for ADHD testing. I've felt a few of his doctors were a little skeptical about using, but now we have a bunch of supporters. Once they saw his progress they were amazed.

JulieBrown
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Don't worry..... seriously, her opinion is only important on health issues. 

I have come across several people that didn't approve of me homeschooling.  2 years after I started several of those people apologized and now understand why I homeschool.  Even when people with higher credentials don't approve, you need to do what is right for your family.  :-D

Good luck!  Your son sounds like he appreciates what you do.  :-)

Mweddle
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

hahaha I also feel the exact same way.  Since pulling my 6 year old out (shes 7 now) our stress level went way down and I expect it to go down more when i pull my 7 year old son for next year!  I don't see sending them back in elementary school.  What we do from there will just be whatever we are led to do. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh I know what you mean. Ever since pulling ds out of school, our stress level has gone way down! He's 9 and I have no plans on sending him back either.

Quoting Chasing3:

ds is 10. 

All I can say is our entire family's stress level is practically zero since homeschooling ds. I really don't see him going back to public school ever, but if he really wanted to I'd give it a shot.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

When my DD1 was in 2nd grade, we ended up pulling her because her anxiety and depression was so bad that she wanted to kill herself.  Her pediatrician told me that by pulling her we were only supplying a temporary fix and allowing her to run away from her problems rather than face them head on. That we were encouraging the behavior by giving in and pulling her out, even though it was something her therapist was completely behind. Needless to say she doesn't see that pediatrician anymore and her confidence has just blossomed over the past 2 years. She still struggles with anxiety, but her depression is very well controlled and she's not withering anymore.  Hands down best decision we could have made for her

yogamomma123
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We began our homeschooling journey about a year & half ago. It has been one of the best decisions we have ever made for our son. He has learned so much. Homeschoolers have time to master their skills, which is one reason they score so high on standardized testing, among other things. We have a huge home school community too. I never knew it existed until we began researching in our area. You know what is best for your child. People who have never homeschooled, really do not understand what it is about. They hearr opinions of others who have never homeschooled or had a bad experience with it. I know because I use to be one of those people. I use to think people were crazy for homeschooling, only because I did not understand why they would. I also had lack of knowledge on how homeschoolers outrank traditional schooling in every area, even socialization. Now I know different & there is no way we would ever put him back in a traditional school, unless we just had to. So, you shouldn't worry about your pediatrician. Maybe he had other things on his mind or maybe he really is against it. Either way, I would not worry about him. There are so many people who don't get it. Don't let them get you down. If you have seen your children improve & they are happy, that is what matters. Stastics favors homeschooling significantly. Homeschool kids can play sports, they have annuals, they have proms, banquets, get to be raised with the same group of kids, you get to know other homeschool families, resources are unlimited & they are gaining SO much from being homeschooled. There are so many amazing curriculumns too. Blessings.  

tnt-manda
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Thats sad, our pedi knows. She just does a more through physical, like checking for scoliosis and such that normal a school nurse would do. She has asked a few questions, more to the preschooler, elementary age, like can youwrite your full name? Do you know...? I really dont mind that either. There are homeschoolers that give the rest of us a bad name, if shes feels the need to ask questions go ahead, my kids love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)