Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my pediatrician seemed kinda lukewarm on homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

my son and his twin sister just had an annual physical. My son was kind of proud to say he's a homeschooler now. The dr's face looked a tad bit alarmed to me. I told him it's going great and is a great fit and he's made amazing progress and the Dr was typing it all furiously into the computer! I kinda wish I hadn't said anything!! This needs to be in his medical record? He kind of went on about how he "supports that and has had patients successfully re-enter public school after a stint at homeschooling."

Whatever. I know I'm doing the right thing.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Codysmom2106
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Mine was not all that thrilled when I told him we pulled our son either. He went on and on about how great his sons school was and how we might want to look into that one. I was like whatever....don't let it get to you.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Just reading your description of the visit, I think you may be reading too much into it. I don't think he was entering that info in his records. As far as his reaction, well, he really doesn't HAVE to approve of it. I mean, is it really vital that you have his support? I guess I just have a pretty thick skin, because it never would have occurred to me to (A) bring it up or (B) cared what he thought about it.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM
The only really negative reaction I had was from the psychologist I took my son to last summer for ADHD testing.

I've felt a few of his doctors were a little skeptical about using, but now we have a bunch of supporters. Once they saw his progress they were amazed.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Even if he was writing down everything you said, as long as you are doing everything you are supposed to be doing and doing as best you can, what he writes doesn't carry that much weight. Just get a copy and keep it with all your important papers for a later reference, if need be.
Mandallyn
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Weird...
lancet98
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM

He's not allowed to have an opinion, even when its a LOOK that you're going by and he didn't even actually SAY anything anti-homeschooling?

Wow you are harsh.

Guess what.   I don't like homeschooling either.   And I would not say anything past what the doc said to my friends who have already decided to do it because all they are going to do is get pissed, because their minds are made up and they aren't going to change their minds.   This is one issue where people are super close minded and stubborn.

But to not even allow him to raise his eyebrows, jesus christ.   You certainly do want the world to bend to your will, don't you.

He was typing, eh, OH GOD.   Maybe he was typing in that your child may not get exposed to some common childhood illnesses, or that they would add some things to his physical, since he won't be having a gym class.  How in the hell do you assume you know he's typing in something negative.

Good god y'all are pretty damned sensitive.   When it gets to a point that someone can't disagree with you without raising your ire/suspicion/anger etc, you need to check yourself.

Bethbeth
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why you don't want that in his notes. They write everything, especially as it relates to their environment and activities. Being homeschooled is a big part of his life, so why shouldn't it be written down?

12yrmama
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Probably needs to be in record for socialization stuff. Plus, now the doctor doesn't need to worry about your kid getting sick very often.

Some doctors type it in front of you others do it after you leave... they keep records of everything because they are the first call (for any police, cps, etc) so they need to have as much on record as possible.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Sadly typical. Lots of ped's react the same.

melindabelcher
by Mel on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM
That's frustrating :(
Our pedi 100% supports us. even homeschooled his own kids
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)