Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my pediatrician seemed kinda lukewarm on homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

my son and his twin sister just had an annual physical. My son was kind of proud to say he's a homeschooler now. The dr's face looked a tad bit alarmed to me. I told him it's going great and is a great fit and he's made amazing progress and the Dr was typing it all furiously into the computer! I kinda wish I hadn't said anything!! This needs to be in his medical record? He kind of went on about how he "supports that and has had patients successfully re-enter public school after a stint at homeschooling."

Whatever. I know I'm doing the right thing.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Replies (31-33):
Headevas
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Wow! I hate it when Drs react that way. My kids pediatric Dr was super supportive. She was homeschooled her whole life and had no problem getting into Baylor Medical school! But my daughter has been having some psychiatric problems- there is Bipolar on both sides of the family, and she is showing signs of having it. But her psychiatrist is acting like maybe homeschooling has speed up her problems. She told my dtr that maybe she needs to go back to PS so she could start feeling better and actually get a real education. Needless to say we switched Drs!
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM
When my boys and I moved back to Indiana for a year while my husband was deployed; the pediatric office that his doctor worked in seemed to be lukewarm on homeschooling. My sons pedi had the weirdest look on his face when Aiden proudly announced that he was being homeschooled. I didn't let it bother me. I'm sure that it was put in his file that he was homeschooled; I actually seen the receptionist type it into the computer. It doesn't matter tho because I am confident in what I am doing. No one can drag me down with their snide remarks or facial expressions. Afterall I'm going to meet adversity for the rest of my life. I'm a non conformist and very atypical. I've always been this way.
tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM

doesn't matter either way to me. Had to take DS into the walk in clinic because he was having trouble hearing me. I was pretty sure it was just wax(a problem we have had before) but wanted to be safe. He asked DS about school(he is 6) and he told him we do school at home now. Doc asked about what curriculum we use. Told him we are using several different ones, some kindergarten(the grade I pulled him out of) but mostly 1st grade. He said ok and moved on. 

His new pediatrician asked about school and I told her we homeschool and she said that is great. 

I really don't care either way if it is in the medical records, it's not a big secret lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)