Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been looking at Reading/Language Arts/Writing curriculum online and reading a ton of reviews. At this point, my head's about to explode from all the information out there, so I'd like to ask your opinion on what curriculum you're using to cover these 3 subjects. I'd like to try to stick to curriculum that "bundles" these subjects together, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My daughter is reading well on her own, knows all her phonics, can spell and write simple sentences/phrases, and can sit still for long periods to do classwork. I'm currently leaning towards McRuffy Language Arts 1st Grade because it comes with Reading and Writing, but I hesitate since the curriculum I'm using for math and science are very textbook based and not exactly "exciting" or colorful. So, I'd like to find curriculum that is more on the "fun" and easy side of things to break the monotony.

Any suggestions? Has anyone used McRuffy Language Arts? If not, what curriculum have you found you like best for K-1st grade? What are the  pros and cons of what you picked? Thanks for your input, ladies!

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Replies (11-17):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

We use Christian Light Education right now and I love it.  We switched in February and my daughter (who has always struggled in LA) has absolutely taken off with it.  It's neeat to watch :)

ashybaby87
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM

My daughter is in Kindergarten, going into 1st. We just started homeschooling her (for the kindergarten year) and plan to do it again for her 1st grade year. We've been using K5learning.com and I recently discovered StudyDog.com to help her out - they seem to be working out well. I also bought a few grade appropriate workbooks we do as well

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM

We use Abkea....Phonics, Language and Writting.

We actually use a full curriculum from them.

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM

These are all great suggestions! Thanks, ladies! I will definitely check these out. :)

I also got a free 5-week trial for Reading Eggs. I just signed up my daughter today, so we'll see how we like it.

jeng1980
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Lifepacs are a nice and colorful complete Langage Arts program.  It is a workbook style and has 10 small unit workbooks.  I would suggest that.  1st grade is more Kindergarten level.  I don't use Language Arts for Lifepacs in 1st grade though.  We use Explode The Code.  You may want to check that out however, it's not colorful but it engages my very active son who is in Kindergarten.  They have books 1-6.  Is sounds like your DD would start well in Book 2.

jeng1980
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Reading Eggs is wonderful however, we also use Explode the Code.  We do Explode the code 3 times a week and Reading Eggs twice a week.  Sometimes he wants to do both and I am ok with that.  We also have the apps that he uses on my phone.  Eggy words is one of them.  Mathseeds is also a great program created by Reading Eggs that we use.

Quoting SamuraiQueen:

These are all great suggestions! Thanks, ladies! I will definitely check these out. :)

I also got a free 5-week trial for Reading Eggs. I just signed up my daughter today, so we'll see how we like it.

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Thank you. Do you mean Book 2 in Explode the Code or Lifepac? I've not heard of Lifepac before, so I will have to look into it. I did like the concept for Explode the Code/ETC online. However, it seems ETC mostly covers phonics and reading with some spelling and writing, but not necessarily grammar.

Quoting jeng1980:

Lifepacs are a nice and colorful complete Langage Arts program.  It is a workbook style and has 10 small unit workbooks.  I would suggest that.  1st grade is more Kindergarten level.  I don't use Language Arts for Lifepacs in 1st grade though.  We use Explode The Code.  You may want to check that out however, it's not colorful but it engages my very active son who is in Kindergarten.  They have books 1-6.  Is sounds like your DD would start well in Book 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN