Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Argh! dumb, dumb, dumb!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am too much of a perfectionist and it totally bit me in the rear this time.

My middle boy is 20 lessons into MUS Alpha.  We just began subtraction because he didn't have the speed thing down in his addition.  We took 4 whole weeks and just devoted it to speed drills.  

I just got his Beta book and the first 5 lessons are reviewing addition and picking up speed.  Since he did know the concept, we should have moved on.  Now he's not going to be finished with his MUS Alpha before the end of our school year (April 18th) and we'll be working on subtraction during our unschooling time to catch him back up.

I'm so frustrated with myself!

I'm a homeschooling, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, recycling, composting, homesteading, Jesus following, goat milking, home canning, dh loving, Libertarian Momma of three well adjusted little boys!

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I understand what you mean!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Cole and I struggle on mastery vs moving at a good pace. We are skipping the multiplication and division portion of his math while he works on memorizing the multiplication tables. It's put us a behind where I want to be (even though we are working on geometry, too) but Cole will wig out if he has to work through the long multiplication problems without knowing the individual facts. He's a perfectionist, too, and it can be really hard to deal with him. Everything new that is presented is a bit of a fight because if he doesn't understand immediately he wants to quit. LOL He can't handle not knowing the answers. It's difficult.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

Cole and I struggle on mastery vs moving at a good pace. We are skipping the multiplication and division portion of his math while he works on memorizing the multiplication tables. It's put us a behind where I want to be (even though we are working on geometry, too) but Cole will wig out if he has to work through the long multiplication problems without knowing the individual facts. He's a perfectionist, too, and it can be really hard to deal with him. Everything new that is presented is a bit of a fight because if he doesn't understand immediately he wants to quit. LOL He can't handle not knowing the answers. It's difficult.

Levi has actually said to me that he's an artist and artists are not "designed to learn these math facts."  I have no idea where he got that, but it threw me!  Now that he's getting it, things are smoother in our math lessons, but for a while I was getting frustrated with him.  He's not a perfectionist and really had no intention of learning those facts.

It also helped that I showed him my check register and how much math everyone needs to know how to do.  

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Don't feel bad! They rushed the children through subtraction last year so we spent extra time on it too.

The girls have spring break homework this week to play multiplication games in the evening with dh.

We're going to jump into money and the rest next week. We'll do more multiplication & division games during summer break in June.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Levi has actually said to me that he's an artist and artists are not "designed to learn these math facts."  I have no idea where he got that, but it threw me!  Now that he's getting it, things are smoother in our math lessons, but for a while I was getting frustrated with him.  He's not a perfectionist and really had no intention of learning those facts.

It also helped that I showed him my check register and how much math everyone needs to know how to do.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan: Don't feel bad! They rushed the children through subtraction last year so we spent extra time on it too. The girls have spring break homework this week to play multiplication games in the evening with dh. We're going to jump into money and the rest next week. We'll do more multiplication & division games during summer break in June.

I was surprised at how few lessons there are in MUS for subtraction.  Basically it's only lessons 20-27.  The first 19 lessons taught addition, so I really expected a solid 15 lessons on subtraction.  So it felt like it was really important to have that addition down pat before moving on.  Then the new lessons come and the first 5 are reviewing the addition again.  Sigh.

Why do they ruch through subtraction?  Just because they know their addition facts does not mean it will transfer.

My oldest is just getting into division.  That's kind of feeling the same way.  Take forever in multiplication and then race through division.

We love the games!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Glad I could make you laugh.

Quoting mem82:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a perfectionist with a child who is not, so I feel your pain!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thank you!  It's nice to share.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

For years my eldest would always respond with wrong answers...intentionally. It drove me nuts. When I asked him why he didn't like giving the right answer (something I Love!) he said, " why do you keep asking me questions that I know You know the answer to?"  He got a kick thinking I didn't know the answer or was trying to trick him...UGH! 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thank you!  It's nice to share.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN