Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ch-ch-changes!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this

Ok. Dumb cat keeps jumping on my keyboard and erasing everything! Grrr. Let's try this again.

So. I haven't been here since February and a lot is going on.

First, DD (11th grade) is doing pretty well. We switched from Thinkwell Trig to Life of Fred, which promises to be comprehensive and includes an intro to Calculus. Fingers crossed because Thinkwell was a disaster.

She still struggles with writing. Her essays are disorganized and painfully abrupt, despite the fact that her fiction is really lovely. I assigned her a very basic, brief discussion on Mesopotamian mythology, including the Epic of Gilgamesh (we read a quick overview, rather than the whole translation) and I honestly think she imagined writing the whole thing. I asked to see it today and there's not a single word on the page. *headdesk*

DS (7th grade) has been in public school up until now. He was recently diagnosed with a post-strep movement disorder called Sydenham's Chorea, which makes it impossible for him to sit in a classroom all day. DH balked at fully homeschooling, so we're waiting for the paperwork to go through to do "home bound instruction." In the meantime, he's home and we're treating this as though we're just calling in absent every day and requesting his homework.

I have some reservations about how that's really going to work out, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to our local homeschool expo this weekend to attend a couple of workshops on writing high school transcripts by Lee Binz. Even if DD goes back to high school in the fall for her senior year, I still need to have paperwork to show what she accomplished for these last 2 1/2 yrs.

They're doing a Teen Track workshop on "Bullet Proof Writing for Reluctant Writers" and I may drag DD along with me!

So what's new with y'all?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Hi! So glad you popped back in. :)
You have been a busy little bee. Are you yourself still writing?

We have had sickness and power outages and some new help for the business come stay with us. It has been very tricky trying to feed 12 people without breaking the bank.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM

We've been really busy too and haven't been around that much either.

I hope the homebound thing works for you.  That can be so stressful! Good luck!

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm still writing, although the last couple of weeks have been difficult with nailing down what to do with DS. Throw in the upcoming production and I may not get back to writing until mid-April. On the plus side, I'm half-done with a fun short story, and still working on the historical.

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! So glad you popped back in. :) You have been a busy little bee. Are you yourself still writing? We have had sickness and power outages and some new help for the business come stay with us. It has been very tricky trying to feed 12 people without breaking the bank.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM
How IS your son feeling? I've never heard of this disorder. Is it from getting sick? If I am not being too nosey?

Do you ever publish your stories?

quote name="SusanTheWriter" id="0"]

I'm still writing, although the last couple of weeks have been difficult with nailing down what to do with DS. Throw in the upcoming production and I may not get back to writing until mid-April. On the plus side, I'm half-done with a fun short story, and still working on the historical.

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! So glad you popped back in. :)

We have had sickness and power outages and some new help for the business come stay with us. It has been very tricky trying to feed 12 people without breaking the bank.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Your dd sounds a lot like mine,lol. Good luck with the homebound. We did that with both the  kids for almost a year. It...I like just homeschooling better.

Nothing really new here. DD is still trudging along and insisting on going back to high school next year. I'll have to figure out how to write transcripts soon... Not sure how that's going to work because I don't exactly grade her work beyond math. Ah well. 

Ds is happy as ever. We started a new course on stars, tornados and microbes. Funny kid,lol.

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Sydenham's Chorea is a relatively rare pediatric neurolgical side effect of the strep virus. The Wiki page is a decent overview.

He feels fine, but his limbs just move constantly. This is a very mellow kid, so for him to rock or pace or flail his arms all day - or even just bounce his legs every second during calm periods - is distressing.

And yes, I'm published. :) It's been 4 yrs since my last release, so anything new I put out is in a whole new world of publishing because things have changed so much in that time. I'm basically rebuilding my name and my brand from here on out. Not fun!

Quoting kirbymom: How IS your son feeling? I've never heard of this disorder. Is it from getting sick? If I am not being too nosey? Do you ever publish your stories? quote name="SusanTheWriter" id="0"]

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! So glad you popped back in. :) You have been a busy little bee. Are you yourself still writing? We have had sickness and power outages and some new help for the business come stay with us. It has been very tricky trying to feed 12 people without breaking the bank.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Oh wow. That would be frustrating. I'm sorry that he has to go through that. Is is curable, hopefully? I'll keep him and your family in my thoughts and orayers.

What was/ is your pen name, if you don't mind giving it up? I'm in need of sonething to read and just from the luttle tidbits that you've given here and there, you would be right up my alley. :~)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Sydenham's Chorea is a relatively rare pediatric neurolgical side effect of the strep virus. The Wiki page is a decent overview.

He feels fine, but his limbs just move constantly. This is a very mellow kid, so for him to rock or pace or flail his arms all day - or even just bounce his legs every second during calm periods - is distressing.

And yes, I'm published. :) It's been 4 yrs since my last release, so anything new I put out is in a whole new world of publishing because things have changed so much in that time. I'm basically rebuilding my name and my brand from here on out. Not fun!

Quoting kirbymom: How IS your son feeling? I've never heard of this disorder. Is it from getting sick? If I am not being too nosey?

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

It's not so much curable, as it is temporary - although a long-term sort of temporary, like months, instead of weeks. Thank you for your prayers. :)

My pen name is Sela Carsen. I write fun paranormal romance novellas that are somewhat steamy - fair warning! *gg* You can find everything on Amazon or BN.com or your usual online book retailer. At least, everything except "Not Quite Dead," which is out of contract. I'll be re-releasing it later this year...when I get a chance to breathe for a minute.

Quoting kirbymom: Oh wow. That would be frustrating. I'm sorry that he has to go through that. Is is curable, hopefully? I'll keep him and your family in my thoughts and orayers. What was/ is your pen name, if you don't mind giving it up? I'm in need of sonething to read and just from the luttle tidbits that you've given here and there, you would be right up my alley. :~)
Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting kirbymom: How IS your son feeling? I've never heard of this disorder. Is it from getting sick? If I am not being too nosey? Do you ever publish your stories? quote name="SusanTheWriter" id="0"]

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Oh wow! I just read the info on the wiki page. You must be worn out from all of that. Were the doctors able to pinpoint the actual cause?

I just looked you up. :) I am thinking of getting "The Heart Of The Sea " . Which one was/is your favorite?

ote name="SusanTheWriter" id="0"]

It's not so much curable, as it is temporary - although a long-term sort of temporary, like months, instead of weeks. Thank you for your prayers. :)

My pen name is Sela Carsen. I write fun paranormal romance novellas that are somewhat steamy - fair warning! *gg* You can find everything on Amazon or BN.com or your usual online book retailer. At least, everything except "Not Quite Dead," which is out of contract. I'll be re-releasing it later this year...when I get a chance to breathe for a minute.

Quoting kirbymom: Oh wow. That would be frustrating. I'm sorry that he has to go through that. Is is curable, hopefully? I'll keep him and your family in my thoughts and orayers.

What was/ is your pen name, if you don't mind giving it up? I'm in need of sonething to read and just from the luttle tidbits that you've given here and there, you would be right up my alley. :~)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting kirbymom: How IS your son feeling? I've never heard of this disorder. Is it from getting sick? If I am not being too nosey?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I'm sorry your son is having some issues. 8(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN