Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

story of the world

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 23 Replies

Do you use it?  Do you like it?  Are there a lot of good ideas for activities for the lessons?  I will be using it for my 2 1st/2nd graders.

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I liked it but I highly recommend supplementing with living books as well. The activities were a lot of fun. Honestly I found the main text a little on the weak side. I would have like for to go more in depth. I think as long as you supplement it is a good program.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's great for the ages you will use it with. I am using it with my 5th and 6th graders, and I supplement a lot. The first book is very young and we almost quit the whole thing, we are in the second book now and I have found some great supplemental materials...and the second book is written a little..less young?..can't think of a better way to say that right now...but it's working for us now.

The activity guides have a ton of ideas, also lists of other books, encyclopedia/reference book page numbers, follow up questions, and fun activities.

I really like the program, I think if my kids were younger I would have thought it was perfect!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Oh shucks. Sorry. Im no help. I don't use that curriculum.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM

It's great for elementary-aged kids; however you will need to supplement with either living books, age-appropriate books that cover the same eras, or other activities.  We have been supplementing with a lot of the Smithsonian channel and history channel documentaries and younger reader history books.  We also take 2 years per book because of all of the supplementing though.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The curriculum intended you to use living books (there are suggestions for such books in the activity guide). I think it's a great curriculum for those ages. I see people complain about it being "too lite" when they try to use it for their middle school children, but the author never intended it to be used as a core text for middle school - it was meant for the grammar stage/elementary aged children. Definitely too lite if you do not get the activity book - that's the meat of the program, imo.

We didn't stick with it, but that's because I dislike reinventing the wheel, and the books after the first were a bit too protestant for me, but it's what I recommend to everyone who doesn't mind that; it is by far the most interesting world history program for young children that I've ever come across (barring Connecting with History, which is a classical Catholic world history program, complete with a core text, living books, activities, writing assignments, and religion).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. She intended each book to be a year long program, with each new volume progressing in depth and maturity, as a child would naturally progress as they age; i.e. the first volume is for the youngest crowd (grade 1), the second volume for second grade, third for third grade, and fourth for fourth or fifth grade (some people do a gap year for American history in there somewhere, and then come back to the series).

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I think it's great for the ages you will use it with. I am using it with my 5th and 6th graders, and I supplement a lot. The first book is very young and we almost quit the whole thing, we are in the second book now and I have found some great supplemental materials...and the second book is written a little..less young?..can't think of a better way to say that right now...but it's working for us now. The activity guides have a ton of ideas, also lists of other books, encyclopedia/reference book page numbers, follow up questions, and fun activities. I really like the program, I think if my kids were younger I would have thought it was perfect!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mweddle
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Thanks all!  I think I will go with it plus the activity book!  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I used it when my boys were younger. We LOVED it, but I recommend you get the workbook as it really was the best part of the program. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM

My kids never really liked it. We ended up using Disgusting history instead.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM
We are using Pandia Press's Ancients and SOTW is one of our spines. We like it so far.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)