Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

School phobia?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM
  • 23 Replies

Does anyone here homeschool because their child has school phobia or anxiety? My daughter has Separation Anxiety Disorder and I have been homeschooling her on and off for the past 5 years.

cat

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I'm not sure if I would label it a phobia, but my oldest son as we ride past the local elementary school still (after 3 years of homeschooling) says "I hate that place."

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

My 9yo ds and I have it. Another reason I pulled him out so he wouldn't be scarred the same way I was. For me it was bad. I couldn't walk past a high school without hyperventilating until I was in my 20's. The nightmares stopped about that age too.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM

When you say on and off, did you try PS a few times with her?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I used to have an anxiety that kept me from being able to speak or move if I got too anxious about something. I couldn't even meet new people without breaking out in a cold sweat something fierce and crying like I was about to die. It has eased some over the years.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

My daughter never wanted to go to school.  That is one reason.  After homeschooling for a while I found out anything that puts pressure on her gives her anxiety.  We have slowly been doing more things to help her.  Now she has a writing phobia or disgraphia, not sure which, but we are working on that now.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

My oldest had such a terrible time in PS that I would say he now has a phobia of it! It was not the reason we started homeschooling but it became just another one of the many reasons we continued to do so for him & our other 2 children.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM
We homeschool for social reasons. I have trouble getting my kids to stop talking to others. I know many homeschoolers That are very shy. I was very shy and anxious in school. Homeschooling has helped me overcome my shyness.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM

My kids have never been to public school. But my eldest is on the autism spectrum and has a ton of anxiety - in fact he will purge (throw up) when he gets anxious. So we have always HS'ed. We began doing a homeschool co-op about 5 years ago, this has helped my son with his anxiety in groups because it has short classes and only meets once/week...and he knew I was there if he had any problems. 

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I was originally just going to hs my younger daughter, because she had such a rough time in math last year.  I pulled my older daughter home after a month in middle school this year because she had serious anxiety.  We found out it was caused by severe OCD, which she's tackling.  She enjoys the group hs activities I take them to now.  She was always shy in school, but we never knew it was OCD until this year.

dizzy91
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM

My fiance got into homeschooling, because he had an extreme school phobia. 

They pulled him out completely when the school started threatening to have his mom arrested for not sending him to school. One morning, he was freaking out so bad that she called the school counselor. He came over with someone from social services. They tried for an hour to get him to calm down and go to school. 

After, they said it's obvious it was more than just laziness or not wanting to go. It was very severe anxiety, and they suggested full time homeschooling. He was 11 at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)