Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone here homeschool because their child has school phobia or anxiety? My daughter has Separation Anxiety Disorder and I have been homeschooling her on and off for the past 5 years.

cat

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
collinsmommy0
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM
I'm not really helpful since my oldest is almost 3, but he seems more anxious then other kids his age seem...,,I can't imagine dropping him off at a program, even for an hour, because he would probably not participate at all. (We are in a parent participation gymnastics class of 4 kids & it took him about 2 months to be willing to be more than a few feet away from me during the class). He seems to have general anxiety, but definitely to anything with more than 1-2 kids
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:22 AM
My eldest had suicidal comments/thoughts at 7 Because of stress in public school. It was like the kick in the pants we needed.
JJsbabygirl
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Yes....I sent her to kindergarten...it was horrible. Then we tried 1st grade for about 4 months...left and did homeschool....continued hs for 2nd grade. Then went to a new school for third with an IEP in place and did well. Did 4 th grade ok ( couple issues). And now back to hs for 5th.

Quoting paganbaby:

When you say on and off, did you try PS a few times with her?

cat

IslandGirl1013
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Some of you said you or your children had horrible experiences in school. Care to elaborate? Also, while I think homeschooling is great, many have said they keep their child home due to anxiety. Has that been diagnosed by a doctor? What will your children do when it's time to enter the workforce? They may not be able to work from home. Do you think parents play a part in feeding their kids anxieties and how can we tackle school anxiety? I'm undecided between homeschooling and sending DD to public school so I like to hear different perspectives.
JJsbabygirl
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:18 AM

My daughter has been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I really would prefer her to be in school but it is what it is.

Quoting IslandGirl1013: Some of you said you or your children had horrible experiences in school. Care to elaborate? Also, while I think homeschooling is great, many have said they keep their child home due to anxiety. Has that been diagnosed by a doctor? What will your children do when it's time to enter the workforce? They may not be able to work from home. Do you think parents play a part in feeding their kids anxieties and how can we tackle school anxiety? I'm undecided between homeschooling and sending DD to public school so I like to hear different perspectives.

cat

IslandGirl1013
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:21 AM
Is she taking medication or in therapy? I just wonder if homeschooling is a suitable remedy for someone who is scared to face the world. Keeping them away may feed that fear more than ease it. I don't know, just trying to get different opinions.

Quoting JJsbabygirl:

My daughter has been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I really would prefer her to be in school but it is what it is.

Quoting IslandGirl1013: Some of you said you or your children had horrible experiences in school. Care to elaborate? Also, while I think homeschooling is great, many have said they keep their child home due to anxiety. Has that been diagnosed by a doctor? What will your children do when it's time to enter the workforce? They may not be able to work from home. Do you think parents play a part in feeding their kids anxieties and how can we tackle school anxiety? I'm undecided between homeschooling and sending DD to public school so I like to hear different perspectives.

JJsbabygirl
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Both....she is outgoing in other types of situations and is 99% better than when she was diagnosed. And you can still be very social in hs by joining groups and going on outings.

Quoting IslandGirl1013: Is she taking medication or in therapy? I just wonder if homeschooling is a suitable remedy for someone who is scared to face the world. Keeping them away may feed that fear more than ease it. I don't know, just trying to get different opinions.
Quoting JJsbabygirl:

cat

IslandGirl1013
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:31 AM
That's very true. There are plenty of other ways to expose kids to the outside world. I had a negative feeling about school growing up and social anxiety. I just don't want to pass that on to my DD. I'm thinking about homeschooling because I live in a big city and I don't want her exposed to negative influences. I'm trying to see how I can find a happy medium.

Quoting JJsbabygirl:

Both....she is outgoing in other types of situations and is 99% better than when she was diagnosed. And you can still be very social in hs by joining groups and going on outings.

Quoting IslandGirl1013: Is she taking medication or in therapy? I just wonder if homeschooling is a suitable remedy for someone who is scared to face the world. Keeping them away may feed that fear more than ease it. I don't know, just trying to get different opinions.

Quoting JJsbabygirl:

waytomanykids10
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:35 AM

We homeschool 6 of our 9 children (3 are still to young). Next year 5 of those 6 will be attending a private school. We will continue homeschooling our almost 8 yo dd due to her having major seperation anxiety and a few other issues.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Homeschoolers aren't locked away from the world, Kids that stay home usually experience more of the real world than psers actually. Our kids aren't locked away in an artificial environment that in no way reflects adult life. The only time we group people by age and not ability is in school. Hs kids witness real day to day life as they participate in it beside a parent. One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is too build confidence in both the child and in the action that they need to take, in this case, dealing with people. 8)

Quoting IslandGirl1013: That's very true. There are plenty of other ways to expose kids to the outside world. I had a negative feeling about school growing up and social anxiety. I just don't want to pass that on to my DD. I'm thinking about homeschooling because I live in a big city and I don't want her exposed to negative influences. I'm trying to see how I can find a happy medium.

Quoting JJsbabygirl:

Quoting JJsbabygirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)