Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Update 2 : Need some form of help.

Posted by   + Show Post

I like to plan.  Just so I know where I'm going in school and so I can show my hubby and we are on the same page.  Well for some reason my mind will not process what classes elementary, middle, and high school should have.  I know there are the basics and electives.  I'm curious what classes you do with your children at the various ages.   Not looking for curriculum, just the class, like science, history, foreign language, and phonics.  I sometimes feel I'm doing too much with my younger and not enough with my older.

~Update~

Thank you everyone for the information and help.  I've made a graph going from PK to 12th grade and then I added all the classes I'll be teaching over the years, 16 different classes.  Then I put a colored bar covering the years that will consist of the classes. Only 5 classes span all grade levels.  The rest either span the lower grades or the higher grades.  I feel better now that I know I'm doing well with my soon to be high schooler and that I need to cut back a little with my youngest.

~Update 2~

Picture!

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM

We are trying to add in Italian, as my husband is Italian, but I'm so... not Italian, lol. I have the Little Pim Italian on Netflix Prime, and I'm hoping DH's dad can fill in some blanks, lol.

We have a German Saturday School here! I'd love for the boys to go when they're a bit older.

Quoting KickButtMama:

This is along the lines of what we do, without the religion and we added in more foreign languages along side Latin (sign language  for under 4th grade, German & French for middle school, and we plan in learning Chinese for high school)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Logic / Critical Thinking

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music

Art Appreciation

Logic

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Lol, I thought it would be great to have the kids learn polish since my DH speaks a little and the kids grandfather speaks it....but getting them to actually TEACH the kids was nearly impossible. So we fell back on German and ASL - which I know- and my youngest is learning French (which I took in high school, but my BFF speaks fluently) 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are trying to add in Italian, as my husband is Italian, but I'm so... not Italian, lol. I have the Little Pim Italian on Netflix Prime, and I'm hoping DH's dad can fill in some blanks, lol.

We have a German Saturday School here! I'd love for the boys to go when they're a bit older.

Quoting KickButtMama:

This is along the lines of what we do, without the religion and we added in more foreign languages along side Latin (sign language  for under 4th grade, German & French for middle school, and we plan in learning Chinese for high school)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music

Art Appreciation

Logic

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

We read a story and then my almost 4 year old and 5 year old listen then they dictate a sentence to me and I write it down for them. They try to copy it (my 5 year old does better than my almost 4 year old, she scribbles).  After that they draw a picture of the story.

For math we play with shapes, colors and numbers. 

if you have heard of story of the world that is what my kids are doing for history.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Mine will be 4 this fall.  Loves being read to so we do that all the time.  Loves dinos and space and anything hands on working on finding things for him.  Unfortunately he can't sit in on science or history since my daughter does those independantly.  One on the computer and the other is reading and writing.

Quoting debramommyof4: If you can afford it go for it. We use free Spanish resources and signing time this year. I am hoping to get each girl a tutor next year to just speak to them in their chosen language. My younger two tend to sit in on some of the history and most of the science. My youngest turns 4 in a month and she loved learning about the skeleton. We watched Stanley the Skeleton and she still asked to watch it.
Quoting Silverkitty:

Thank you.

My preschooler wants math and science, doesn't want anything else, but I'm wanting to add art and letters and reading history books geared to the lower grades.

Of course I'm also wanting to expose him to language and writing and a lot of things I'd do with my older, but the languages they want to learn are different. Oldest wants Japanese and youngest wants French and Spanish.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM

DD is 4 but at a 1st grade level for most things.

We do handwriting, spelling, reading, math, science, French (DH only speaks French to our kids and also has some French workbooks with various topics). I throw in a little history here and there usually around holidays or books like "who was" and usually just put it under the reading category.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM
My just turned 6 yr old kindy::

Math: watches mathusee video, plays math games online and did a calendar board the first half of year.

Phonics kit

Handwriting

Science: sits in on anatomy with older sibs...

Sign language: hit and miss sitting in with older kids..

Thursday group classes: kinder art, drama club, gym and fun class.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Oh yeah, and my kindy does other stuff with us as she wants and feels up to plus she participates in junior bible quizzing where she memorizes answers.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM
My 4th and 6th graders...

6th grade spelling
Remedial handwriting
4th and 6th grade english
7th grade literature (about one section per week or two...no pressure)
Story lines and story starters
American history
Anatomy
Math u see (delta and pre algebra)
Sign language off and on
KLove_Mom
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM

For my Kindergarteners we have:
Handwriting (at first did a workbook of letters, now we just write sentences on paper)
Journal (every couple days they draw a picture and make up a story, now they even write it out themselves)

Math
Latin
Bible
Reading/Phonics

For History/Social Studies/Science - I get a non-fiction book from the library each week to go through and then try to find some way to apply it in our world or do something online that goes along with it.
Like I got a book about all the things on a Farm... then as we were driving through the country we watched for cows, tractors, sprinklers, etc. and talked about the book again. 

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM

My kids have had.....the core classes (Phoincs, Language, Spelling, Arithmetic, Reading).  They also have a small geography, health, science, and community helpers (police, firefighters, doctors, etc).  My 2nd grader is taking an intro into American History.

This is K, 1st, and 2nd grade.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Bump for update!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN