Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Update 2 : Need some form of help.

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

I like to plan.  Just so I know where I'm going in school and so I can show my hubby and we are on the same page.  Well for some reason my mind will not process what classes elementary, middle, and high school should have.  I know there are the basics and electives.  I'm curious what classes you do with your children at the various ages.   Not looking for curriculum, just the class, like science, history, foreign language, and phonics.  I sometimes feel I'm doing too much with my younger and not enough with my older.

~Update~

Thank you everyone for the information and help.  I've made a graph going from PK to 12th grade and then I added all the classes I'll be teaching over the years, 16 different classes.  Then I put a colored bar covering the years that will consist of the classes. Only 5 classes span all grade levels.  The rest either span the lower grades or the higher grades.  I feel better now that I know I'm doing well with my soon to be high schooler and that I need to cut back a little with my youngest.

~Update 2~

Picture!

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Hm, what grade? We're pretty loose in the younger grades. Some ideas for classes would be:

Health

Personal finance

American History

World History

Gym

Art

Geography

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants.

My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses.

My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language.

My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I have a preschooler and a seventh/eighth grader.

We have the basic history, science, math, language arts/literature.  I'm just trying not to do with my preschooler what I'm doing with my almost high schooler.  For some reason my mind keeps thinking we are forgetting something.

Quoting mem82:

Hm, what grade? We're pretty loose in the younger grades. Some ideas for classes would be:

Health

Personal finance

American History

World History

Gym

Art

Geography

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Thank you.

My preschooler wants math and science, doesn't want anything else, but I'm wanting to add art and letters and reading history books geared to the lower grades.

Of course I'm also wanting to expose him to language and writing and a lot of things I'd do with my older, but the languages they want to learn are different. Oldest wants Japanese and youngest wants French and Spanish.

Quoting debramommyof4: I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants. My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses. My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language. My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM
If you can afford it go for it. We use free Spanish resources and signing time this year. I am hoping to get each girl a tutor next year to just speak to them in their chosen language.

My younger two tend to sit in on some of the history and most of the science.

My youngest turns 4 in a month and she loved learning about the skeleton. We watched Stanley the Skeleton and she still asked to watch it.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Thank you.

My preschooler wants math and science, doesn't want anything else, but I'm wanting to add art and letters and reading history books geared to the lower grades.

Of course I'm also wanting to expose him to language and writing and a lot of things I'd do with my older, but the languages they want to learn are different. Oldest wants Japanese and youngest wants French and Spanish.

Quoting debramommyof4: I have preschool we go over alphabet and numbers and she sits in on lit with her brother and science and history with her sisters if she wants.

My kindergartener does math, reading, lit, and handwriting. He does science and history as he chooses.

My first grader is doing math, lit, writing, spelling, science, history and sign language.

My 2nd grader has the same classes as my 21st grader except she has Spanish instead of sign language

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Mine will be 4 this fall.  Loves being read to so we do that all the time.  Loves dinos and space and anything hands on working on finding things for him.  Unfortunately he can't sit in on science or history since my daughter does those independantly.  One on the computer and the other is reading and writing.

Quoting debramommyof4: If you can afford it go for it. We use free Spanish resources and signing time this year. I am hoping to get each girl a tutor next year to just speak to them in their chosen language. My younger two tend to sit in on some of the history and most of the science. My youngest turns 4 in a month and she loved learning about the skeleton. We watched Stanley the Skeleton and she still asked to watch it.
Quoting Silverkitty:

Thank you.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

With my preschooler we do: Math, Phonics, reading, handwriting, and art.

With my 1st grader we do: Math, Phonics, reading, spelling, handwriting, science, history, geography, art, music, and cooking.

With my very academic 9 year old we do: Math, spelling, grammar/mechanics, reading, handwriting, writing, science, history, geography, spanish, art, music, cooking, public speaking, and life skills (running a household and keeping a checkbook).

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM

For elementary we did:  Grammar, Reading, Vocabulary, Spelling (Phonics in the younger grades), Cursive, Current Events, Geography, Social Studies (History), Science, Spanish, Typing, Religion, PE, Art, Music

For middle school:  Grammar, Literature, Writing, History, Science, Geography, Spanish, Religion, PE, Health

For high school:  Literature (American, British, World), History (Modern, World, US, Gov/Econ), Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calc, Calc), Science w/lab (Bio, Chem, Physics, Advanced choice), Health, PE, Art, Technology, Foreign Language, SAT prep, Personal Finance, various electives

Angela

dd(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
dd(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school
ds(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Logic / Critical Thinking

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music

Art Appreciation

Logic

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM

This is along the lines of what we do, without the religion and we added in more foreign languages along side Latin (sign language  for under 4th grade, German & French for middle school, and we plan in learning Chinese for high school)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Junior K (pre-k) goals: recite and know visually the alphabet, letter sounds (short vowels, consonants), begin to blend CVC words, count to 20 by 1's and by 2's, count to 100 by 10's, recognize numbers (visually) through 20, recognize all colors and shapes, patterns/sequencing, recite the Hail Mary and the table blessing.

Primary (K-2)

Phonics

Language Arts (spelling, writing, grammar)

Literature

Maths

Religion

Science

History

Music

Art Appreciation

Latin (starts in grade 1)

Elementary (3-8)

Religion

Language arts (grammar, spelling, writing)

Literature

Maths

Sciences

History/Geography (2 years geography - 1 american, 1 world, 1 year civics, 1 year american history, the rest world history)

Art Appreciation

Music

Latin

High School

Literature

Writing

Sciences

History

Religion / Apologetics

Latin

Music

Art Appreciation

Logic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN