Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

learning about the states

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
This summer we are driving across the country. We are driving out to California through the south and then driving back to Maryland on a northern route, so we will be at least passing through 20+ states. I want my kids, ages 4, 5, 7, and 8, to learn about the states we will be in. Does anyone have any recommendations? Books? Unit studies? Has anyone used Road Trip USA?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I was going to suggest RoadTrip USA. I haven't used it, but it's something we are planning on using in the fall and it looks awesome. 

How fun! I want to go!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I found a level 3 reader on the dollar isle at target and states flashcards. The series "How the States Got Their Shapes" is fun. It's on the History Channel.
ambcortez
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Oh that sounds like fun! I wanna take a road trip with mine so bad.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM
I LIKE that show. It is very interesting. So much history gets brought up!

Quoting Leissaintexas: I found a level 3 reader on the dollar isle at target and states flashcards. The series "How the States Got Their Shapes" is fun. It's on the History Channel.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I think the suggestion of using flashcards is a good one. They are easy to handle with easy accessibility.
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh that sounds like so much fun. Maybe let the kids make their own travel book with pictures they take & writing about the places & things you all see.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We've been using this one

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/u-s-geography 

Maybe they can take pictures and do a "scrapbook' of sorts. . . pick up free maps, brochures about the places you drive through. My son loves maps so got maps of all the states we drove through when we moved last year (drove from California to Indiana)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Melissa and doug have several puzzles one that talks
Mweddle
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yeah I just pinned a bunch of this stuff yesterday!  This one looks awesome.  We are also going on a road trip in June!  :)  There are tons of great ideas out there!

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

We've been using this one

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/u-s-geography 

Maybe they can take pictures and do a "scrapbook' of sorts. . . pick up free maps, brochures about the places you drive through. My son loves maps so got maps of all the states we drove through when we moved last year (drove from California to Indiana)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

When we've done road trips I prepared lapbooks - one for each state. That way the kids had their crayon bucket in the back seat and when we hit a new state they started their packet/lapbook on that state. They love those...it keeps them busy and is educational. I fill it with trivia, coloring pages etc, and the questions (flip books) are answered using the laptop or kindles/iPads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)