Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
This summer we are driving across the country. We are driving out to California through the south and then driving back to Maryland on a northern route, so we will be at least passing through 20+ states. I want my kids, ages 4, 5, 7, and 8, to learn about the states we will be in. Does anyone have any recommendations? Books? Unit studies? Has anyone used Road Trip USA?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-19):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Check out the Tour the States on Marbles the Brainstore (scroll below the map)

We also read:

The United States of America A State-by-State Guide
Nat'l Geographic Kids National Parks Guide USA
Nat'l Geographic Kids Utimate US Road Trip Atlas
The Scrambled States of America
Nat'l Geographic Kids Beginner's United States Atlas

I feel there are other books, but I can't lay my hands on them.  There's a TON of sites online, too! 

4wildbeasts
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Thanks so much for all of the tips. I want to get things ready way in advance. Hopefully I can pull enough stuff together so that I only have to hear, "Are we there yet?" 100 times a day instead of 100 times an hour.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM

We love How the States Got Their Shapes! You can get it on Amazon Prime as well so if driving through the state you could watch it in a computer or tablet!

Quoting Leissaintexas: I found a level 3 reader on the dollar isle at target and states flashcards. The series "How the States Got Their Shapes" is fun. It's on the History Channel.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried to plan out hourly 'sites' even if it was just a corn field we'd be passing, or a gas station. That way the kids knew there were things to look forward to on the small scale, rather than waiting the hours (even days) till the final destination. I drove with the boys (and without my hubby) from CT to Ohio, it was 10 hours. It started a trend. My husband goes on a guys hunting trip every November, so I've taken the boys on a bunch of long distance driving trips during that time - Philidelphia, Niagara Falls, Chicago, etc. Timing things out ahead of time - food stops, pee stops, sleeping, etc, really helped me keep my sanity. 

Quoting 4wildbeasts: Thanks so much for all of the tips. I want to get things ready way in advance. Hopefully I can pull enough stuff together so that I only have to hear, "Are we there yet?" 100 times a day instead of 100 times an hour.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I've never been brave enough to try a road trip with my guys (ds and dd have a tendency to get carsick) but it sounds like fun!

Jlee4249
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Use Youtube to find the 50 Nifty United States song.  I taught my kids that, then we use a map and point to them as we sing it.  They're pretty good at knowing the location of each state now. ( Even my 3yo sings along) 

maybe having a print out of each state, with it's flag, state bird & flower, for them to color would be helpful and something for them to do...?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I would love to do that!
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM

BUMP!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I Like this idea. I would like to do this for my kids again. I used to do something similar years ago when my oldest 4 were really little.

Quoting KickButtMama:

When we've done road trips I prepared lapbooks - one for each state. That way the kids had their crayon bucket in the back seat and when we hit a new state they started their packet/lapbook on that state. They love those...it keeps them busy and is educational. I fill it with trivia, coloring pages etc, and the questions (flip books) are answered using the laptop or kindles/iPads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN