Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

aspiring homeschool mom

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to the group. My name is Jen and my son is almost two. I want more than anything to home school him (and his future siblings). my fiance just agreed to let me open a family daycare in our home so I can stay home with our son. However, he doesn't necessarily agree with home schooling. He throws out all the arguments I hear from everyone else. I know you have heard them too.

So my question is did anyone have to go through the process of convincing their husbands to home school? What did you do/say? I have told him my own long list of reasons but so far it's not good enough. Granted, I have a few years before he would go into first grade but it's weighing a lot on my mind now.
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Replies (21-24):
jstadt
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Great article. I will be printing it out to show my fiance. Thanks!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think the majority of us had to convince our hubbies. My DH thought I was nuts for the first few years. One of the ways I convinced him was be agreeing it could be short-term....like first it was just for pre-school. Then for grade k, then up to grade 2.... My eldest will be 13 soon and we are still at it.lol. Once we had been doing it a while he realized how far in advanced of their peer group our kids were and he was sold. 

Another way I got my hubby on board was to address his every concern with cold hard facts. When he was concerned about sports I came up with a plan of how the kids could still be in town sports. When it came to friends I showed him the homeschool groups we would join..etc. I wrote an article on it called The Home Education Debate. http://voices.yahoo.com/the-home-education-debate-731135.html?cat=4

Welcome to the group!

jstadt
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM
I am adding it to my "to read" list. Thanks!

Socialization was a biggie for him and all I could think of a lot of things to tell him but he still has concerns. A big one is sports like I'm sure many dad's are concerned about. We both know there are city sports but we live in a small country football town with one high school. Our town reminds me a lot of varsity blues. Our son has a lot of cousins who will be playing sports and we don't want to keep him on a separate team from them. He agreed that we have time to worry about that but it was still one of his questions. I'm hoping this book will she'd some light past the sports issue.

Quoting Bethbeth:

Actually my husband was set on homeschooling our kids before I was. 

If his concern is that awful "socialization" word, this book is awesome:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1600651070/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KNIZQ3A9Z5CH&coliid=I2LSAAI13P8D7Z

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I'm in the minority here.....he had to convince me.  It was a rough few months because we made this decision when we were taking a child of a relative into our home.  I even had to convince the judge that granted me guardianship.  Her words were "I gave you permission to enroll her in school not to homeschool her".  I then provided the proof that she was enrolled in a "school" albeit umbrella, but it was a school.  Once we got her going and she was doing well, we decided to homeschool our biological child.  We opted to homeschool for a myriad of reasons one of them being that the oldest child in our home had been uprooted 30 times since she was 15 mos old....she was 5 1/2 when she came to live with us.  We wanted her to know she was safe and wasn't going anywhere and that someone cared for her and loved her.  She has flourished and is becoming a beautiful productive member of our household and we are only 2 years into her permanent placement.....in 2 1/2 weeks.  My YDD has been flourishing with this direction as well....she learned to read before her 4th birthday all because she wanted to.  She didn't have teachers slowing her down.  She was doing K level math before she was 4 as well.  I personally, would have felt terrible had we put her in a brick and mortar school (private or public) and she would have slowed down with her progression moving forward.

This is just how our family has been affected by the decisions to homeschool.

BTW my children are not social outcasts by any means.  They both skate on teams (one artistic and the other speed), take swimming lessons, attend playdates with other homeschooled children, and would LIVE at the roller rink if I would let them.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think the majority of us had to convince our hubbies. My DH thought I was nuts for the first few years. One of the ways I convinced him was be agreeing it could be short-term....like first it was just for pre-school. Then for grade k, then up to grade 2.... My eldest will be 13 soon and we are still at it.lol. Once we had been doing it a while he realized how far in advanced of their peer group our kids were and he was sold. 

Another way I got my hubby on board was to address his every concern with cold hard facts. When he was concerned about sports I came up with a plan of how the kids could still be in town sports. When it came to friends I showed him the homeschool groups we would join..etc. I wrote an article on it called The Home Education Debate. http://voices.yahoo.com/the-home-education-debate-731135.html?cat=4

Welcome to the group!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Sports was a big concern for my DH in the beginning. He played soccer as a child. We signed the kids up for town soccer once. Otherwise they don't do team sports. Instead they do karate and yoga and swimming through the YMCA. Over time sports just became less and less of a concern. Some towns/states allow homeschool kids to participate in extracurricular activities. Our state does. But I have never taken advantage because we don't have to register or anything but we would in order to use the public school things.

Quoting jstadt: I am adding it to my "to read" list. Thanks! Socialization was a biggie for him and all I could think of a lot of things to tell him but he still has concerns. A big one is sports like I'm sure many dad's are concerned about. We both know there are city sports but we live in a small country football town with one high school. Our town reminds me a lot of varsity blues. Our son has a lot of cousins who will be playing sports and we don't want to keep him on a separate team from them. He agreed that we have time to worry about that but it was still one of his questions. I'm hoping this book will she'd some light past the sports issue.
Quoting Bethbeth:

Actually my husband was set on homeschooling our kids before I was. 

If his concern is that awful "socialization" word, this book is awesome:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1600651070/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KNIZQ3A9Z5CH&coliid=I2LSAAI13P8D7Z

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)