Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

aspiring homeschool mom

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to the group. My name is Jen and my son is almost two. I want more than anything to home school him (and his future siblings). my fiance just agreed to let me open a family daycare in our home so I can stay home with our son. However, he doesn't necessarily agree with home schooling. He throws out all the arguments I hear from everyone else. I know you have heard them too.

So my question is did anyone have to go through the process of convincing their husbands to home school? What did you do/say? I have told him my own long list of reasons but so far it's not good enough. Granted, I have a few years before he would go into first grade but it's weighing a lot on my mind now.
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd start teaching him through play now, and then when K time approaches, show what they'd be learning during their K year. I was surprised that my little guy was already passed that point, and this year we've been working on more of the end of K and 1st grade work, and he'll only be turning 5 next week. Why would you want to hold a kid back when they can learn so much more!  Then ask for more of a trial year for 1st grade, and really show what can happen :) 

In the mean time, find information that backs up your points. To make a complete argument though, look at it from the other side - why homeschooling is "bad" and points from that side. That way it doesn't look like you're trying to show all the shiny goodness. If a "bad" or con is never getting down time, explain how you can adjust so it won't be "as bad". That was the biggest part for me when trying to persuade my hubby. He was more concerned that I would never get a break from the kids and that I would be too stressed out. The solution: he had to give me a half hour every day that I could do my own thing, out of the house, and away from them all. I choose to go running... His other concern was that I wouldn't be able to teach the kids because they'd argue with me too much. The solution, a major revamp in how we parent, and there is a distinct line between school time and non school time. The biggest part of this though, was that both my hubby and myself had to be willing to give and take to make it work. I can't do it entirely on my own.... 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Jen. My hubby was not sure about homeschooling back 8 years ago when I pulled our oldest son out of the 6TH grade. He is in full support of it now. He just had to adjust to the idea & see it in action because he dose not like change.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would advise a compromise. Ask him to allow you to homeschool for first grade, as a "trial year", and then if he still disagrees, you'll send the child to brick and mortar school. I always advise having dad on board, because (imo) homeschooling is never worth turmoil and resentment at home, and dad's have just as much say (or should) in a child's upbringing as mom.

I would caution against running an in home childcare AND homeschooling. Homeschooling requires dedication and a huge amount of energy - I struggle homeschooling ONE child, while having ONE young toddler running around the house otherwise; I can't imagine having several of them running around, especially when the child homeschooling ages and their workload increases.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

olliesmommy2
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I am interested to see what these ladies say, so here's a bump!
jstadt
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree dad MUST be on board but it's so important to me so I need to do what I can to get him on board. I like your (and others') idea of testing out first and second grades.

As for the daycare, I'm not saying it's going to be easy but it's what I want to do. I have run day cares in the past, I went to school for child development with the intention that one day I would open my own. When I met my fiance he was working graveyard so I went back to school to get my teaching degree. Now that he is not working graveyard any longer he agreed to the daycare. Being a SAHM is not an option for me and I don't think I would want to try homeschooling if I have to work outside the home all day. So I'm going to try it and try to make his schooling schedule fit loosely with the daycare schedule. It won't be easy, but then again, most things worth fighting for are not easy anyway.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I would advise a compromise. Ask him to allow you to homeschool for first grade, as a "trial year", and then if he still disagrees, you'll send the child to brick and mortar school. I always advise having dad on board, because (imo) homeschooling is never worth turmoil and resentment at home, and dad's have just as much say (or should) in a child's upbringing as mom.

I would caution against running an in home childcare AND homeschooling. Homeschooling requires dedication and a huge amount of energy - I struggle homeschooling ONE child, while having ONE young toddler running around the house otherwise; I can't imagine having several of them running around, especially when the child homeschooling ages and their workload increases.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask him to give you a test year or 2....K and 1st maybe.  By that point you child may be so far advanced that putting them into a classroom setting my slow them down.  My 5 1/2 yo was so far ahead by the time she was ready for pre-k that we decided to HS her and start her early.  She is now 1/3 of the way through her 1st grade curriculum.  She will finish 1st grade about 1 1/2 mos after she is supposed to start by PS standards in our state.  Also look into the what you child should know stuff to see if you are on par or above...that will also help.

energygirl
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM

My hubby was always on board... but.... if you get some books from the library that list all the reasons to homeschool, you may find a lot of the "Statistics" on grades (positive for homeschooling) and a lot of the other research quoted might help your husband see it in a more positive light.  It might help him to hear it "from an expert" that has been there done that.   You could also look to see what homeschool co-ops meet near you, and visit one..... it might help him to find out how many others in your area are there doing it too (for support as well as the social aspect)....

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the majority of us had to convince our hubbies. My DH thought I was nuts for the first few years. One of the ways I convinced him was be agreeing it could be short-term....like first it was just for pre-school. Then for grade k, then up to grade 2.... My eldest will be 13 soon and we are still at it.lol. Once we had been doing it a while he realized how far in advanced of their peer group our kids were and he was sold. 

Another way I got my hubby on board was to address his every concern with cold hard facts. When he was concerned about sports I came up with a plan of how the kids could still be in town sports. When it came to friends I showed him the homeschool groups we would join..etc. I wrote an article on it called The Home Education Debate. http://voices.yahoo.com/the-home-education-debate-731135.html?cat=4

Welcome to the group!

Bethbeth
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually my husband was set on homeschooling our kids before I was. 

If his concern is that awful "socialization" word, this book is awesome:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1600651070/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KNIZQ3A9Z5CH&coliid=I2LSAAI13P8D7Z

ashybaby87
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello! Luckily my husband was all on board with homeschooling. This will be my 2nd year - going into 1st grade this go round!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)