Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT~ There's been a Strawberry Robbery!

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7yo dd and I have a bucket garden. We live in apartments so we don't have our own yard, rather a shared courtyard so our garden is in buckets by the door. It may not be pretty but it's ours :-) 

We're growing strawberries, potatos, onions, bell peppers and spinach. The strawberries are Audi's babies! lol She's always checking on them, watering them,caring for them, one in particular was almost ripe. This morning she went to look at them before school and it was gone. Baby girl was crushed. Someone picked her strawberry. The one she had been checking everyday for weeks. 

I don't know what to do. It could have been anyone. We have 7 neighbors and foot trafic goes in and out. Now I'm worried that everytime the fruit is ready some idiot will pick it. I was thinking of growing them inside but the cat and dogs will either eat them or dig them up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Lmao @Giants,lol. Sadly we're on the first floor though :-/

Quoting usmom3:

I like the sign idea! I was also thinking if you are on a 2 floor you could do a window box gardening so your only culprit would be bird, squirrel or giants!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew the giant would make you LOL! Then definitely try the sign & I agree with the other Mom that said to have DD write it!

Quoting paganbaby:

Lmao @Giants,lol. Sadly we're on the first floor though :-/

Quoting usmom3:

I like the sign idea! I was also thinking if you are on a 2 floor you could do a window box gardening so your only culprit would be bird, squirrel or giants!

Jenn8604
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
And other fruits and veggies

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How about a sign...... These strawberries are being lovingly tended by a small child.  Please restrain yourself so that this small child can taste the literal fruits of her labors.  Signed a loving and heartbroken mama.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Sadly, unless you get a little cage with a lock in it you might be stuck. It's one of use 'joys' of urban living. You might be able to start with a little sign (like 4 inches square) saying this garden belongs to you. But it might have been an animal as well. Animals (especially squirrels) raid our garden every year....sneaky buggers

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

And they aren't scared of humans, either. grrrrr

Quoting KickButtMama:

Sadly, unless you get a little cage with a lock in it you might be stuck. It's one of use 'joys' of urban living. You might be able to start with a little sign (like 4 inches square) saying this garden belongs to you. But it might have been an animal as well. Animals (especially squirrels) raid our garden every year....sneaky buggers

jakana2369
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Sign is a good idea.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
They make portable motion detector alarms for windows. Maybe there.would be a way to aim one at your plant so it only went off if someone walked right up to it.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Love this!!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How about a sign...... These strawberries are being lovingly tended by a small child.  Please restrain yourself so that this small child can taste the literal fruits of her labors.  Signed a loving and heartbroken mama.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: They make portable motion detector alarms for windows. Maybe there.would be a way to aim one at your plant so it only went off if someone walked right up to it.

Or maybe those cameras that they put up to capture deer?  They are motion detectors so at least you'd have a picture to know whether it was a human or a squirrel.

Does anyone else hear Doug's voice when they read the word squirrel?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
SQUIRREL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)