Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Facebook Page I fallow

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
BJ
  • 15 Replies
3 moms liked this

There is a Facebook page I fallow & I find wonderful inspiration & information from it & wanted to share it with all of you.

It is called The Libertarian Homeschooler. Today she  posted this! There are so many here that are constantly looking for the curriculum that is just right! I am posting the post here with her permission.

Many of us denied the conventional school system (public and private) our children because we knew that it had failed children like ours for decades. Asynchronous learners. Children on the spectrum. "Right brained" children. Children with expressive language issues. Brilliant children. Children who naturally learned to read much later. Children who didn't naturally learn by listening. Children who... had to move.

The answer to those children within the conventional system was to label them. Troublemaker. Oppositional. Hyper. Slow. Dyslexic. Socially Deficient. Problem Child. And often the answer was to drug them. Tranquilize them. Sedate them. Just make them...less. Grind them through. Get them out.

They didn't want them. They didn't have the time or the resources or the patience for these children. They were disruptive in the system that didn't work for them. Desperate to get out from under. These children didn't do well in the machine so clearly there was Something Wrong With These Children.

Pft. Nonsense. There is something wrong with the machine.

We have them at home now. And we're not doing school at home because school simply doesn't work for these children. We won't be replicating that. And having come out from under conventional school norms and benchmarks and scope and sequence, they're cheerful and happy and intelligent and pursuing what interests them with zeal and fire and delight.

Is school not working for your child? Is school-at-home making family life miserable? You might need to ditch it and follow your child. What do you have to lose? School isn't working. Time to try something new.

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Awesome! I follow her too even though I'm not Libertarian..lol

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM
I love The Libertarian Homeschooler!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I love her.  The troll on that post irritated me.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Awesome!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Reading that makes me feel invigorated!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

Awesome! I follow her too even though I'm not Libertarian..lol

I am not one ether but I love that page.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Quoting redhead-bedhead: I love The Libertarian Homeschooler!

Me too!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

I love her.  The troll on that post irritated me.

Me too! I hate trolls!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Quoting mem82:

Reading that makes me feel invigorated!

I am so glad that it did!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sums up very well how I feel. I might print it out and add it to my little file of inspirational stuff to read every so often if I'm feeling insecure.

I'll have to start following her too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)