Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Washington State Homeschooling Folks

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

Are there any on here? We have a strong posibility of a job change to the Seattle area this spring/summer. If anyone can help I would like the particulars: the general mood towards homeschool, what areas are inexpensive, but nice, how the public transportation is, and so on.

Thank you.

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Here's a bump! I'm in Ohio. 8) good luck!

kajira
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I'm from seattle originally - I suggest living north of seattle by 15-20 minutes. Between seattle and everett for affordable housing.

Lots of homeschoolers and LOTS of activities. :) you'll fit right in.

elizabooks
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Thank you. This would be a cross country move and I would have to sell my house... and pack... and pack... and pack....This is very daunting. For some reason even more than when we moved out of country.....

Quoting kajira:

I'm from seattle originally - I suggest living north of seattle by 15-20 minutes. Between seattle and everett for affordable housing.

kajira
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I've done that twice. First to nevada, and now to texas, where I'm still trying to figure out how to do my intent to homeschool paperwork here. LOL

Quoting elizabooks:

Thank you. This would be a cross country move and I would have to sell my house... and pack... and pack... and pack....This is very daunting. For some reason even more than when we moved out of country.....

Quoting kajira:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I *think* in Texas you just send them a note and that's it.

Quoting kajira:

I've done that twice. First to nevada, and now to texas, where I'm still trying to figure out how to do my intent to homeschool paperwork here. LOL

Quoting elizabooks:

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I've called the local school district 2-3 times trying to find out, they never call me back, don't respond to emails, I just sent the super indendant another email tonight and plan on calling their main office again tomorrow.... O.o

Quoting mem82:

Quoting kajira:

Quoting elizabooks:

Quoting kajira:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Yahoo Groups is a good place to find homeschooling moms right there that could probably answer your questions quicker. 8^/ I think 'usmom' in here is in Texas, too.

Quoting kajira:

I've called the local school district 2-3 times trying to find out, they never call me back, don't respond to emails, I just sent the super indendant another email tonight and plan on calling their main office again tomorrow.... O.o

Quoting mem82:

Quoting kajira:

Quoting elizabooks:

Quoting kajira:

tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:50 AM

I'm in WA state but on the other side of the state. I can't say much on Seattle area, but PP was right that the farter out of seattle you get the more affordable housing will be. There is a light rail that runs to some places for transportation and there are buses. 

As far as homeschooling in WA state, all you have to do is file a Declaration of Intent to homeschool at age 8 and every year after that. WA mandatory age of education is 8 so if your child is younger then that you don't have to file a DOI. You have to qualifty in 1 of 4 ways to homeschool: 

1) 45 college quarter credits (about 24 semester credits)
OR

2) Take a Parent Qualifying Course (I offer one, Amber has one at the HS Book Shop)
OR
3) Hire a teacher to oversee the homeschooling
OR
4) Superintendent approval

After that you just have to do yearly testing but only you get to see the results. You have to teach the 7 subjects but you can do one activity and count it as all 7.  

SarahinWA
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 8:39 PM
I live in the Seattle area. The further out you get from Seattle, the less expensive. Trimet (public transit) is okay. (I was spoiled in Portland.) The commuter train is excellent. It goes south to Kent. (I live south of Seattle and am not as familiar with northern areas.) The majority of families live outside of Seattle and commute.

The overall homeschooling attitude is decent. There are many, many resources. The Washington State Homeschool Organization is an excellent resource: http://www.washhomeschool.org/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)