Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Preparing to teach 1st grade

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

This is my 2nd year homeschooling my daughter. She's going into 1st grade and was wondering what materials did you use/are using that worked for you?

Here's what I have so far:

Books

Online Programs:

What topics/subjects specifically did you teach/go over for 1st grade? -When you search for curriculum SO many different things come up.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input :)

Learn about healthier & safer all natural options without the high cost or sacrificing quality +make $$$ ➜ Read More You can also Get FREE SAMPLES by mail by joining my website! ➜ See how Oh, I also make Recycled Jewelry here! Have any questions? Just ask!
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Looks like you have a good start. Would you consider your child at the typical starting point for 1st grade or are they accelerated in something? It's hard to remember what I used. Do you like to read out loud? Story of the World is great for History but for your age group you might want the tapes to listen to.

ashybaby87
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

According to the assessment test I did from K5learning she's at a beginners 1st grade level for most things, she's at the advanced kindergarten level or average level for phonics and oral comprehension though.

As far as reading out loud it's a hit or miss. She loves the computer and seems to learn a lot from movies and the computer. Since I have a 3 month old son it's hard to have a straight forward lesson and time with her at times as well so the computer stuff helps with that. I just want to see what others have done to maybe expand a bit or if there's anything I haven't thought of. 

I even made her a YouTube account and have a playlist for her of educational videos. That one is also a hit or miss. Sort of depends on her attitude.

My biggest challenge is when she doesn't WANT or FEEL like doing her work she pretends she doesn't know something and gets a smirky attitude. It's one thing when she really doesn't know, but when it's something she's been doing/knowing and "all of a sudden" doesn't know - it's just frustrating. 

Quoting mem82:

Looks like you have a good start. Would you consider your child at the typical starting point for 1st grade or are they accelerated in something? It's hard to remember what I used. Do you like to read out loud? Story of the World is great for History but for your age group you might want the tapes to listen to.

Learn about healthier & safer all natural options without the high cost or sacrificing quality +make $$$ ➜ Read More You can also Get FREE SAMPLES by mail by joining my website! ➜ See how Oh, I also make Recycled Jewelry here! Have any questions? Just ask!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you might want to look up Homeschooling through Netflix. 8)

Also, EVERY kid does that sudden amnesia trick. It's very frustrating. I suggest switching things up when she gets to that point. I also suggest finding her 'currency'. What makes her tick? Some kids will do tricks for more time outside, more bedtime stories. My son will try to work diligently through work for extra tablet time. Find what works with your daughter and then use the old carrot and stick approach. 8) At her age, remember her schooling shouldn't last all day or even four hours. 8)

ashybaby87
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Quoting mem82:

Sounds like you might want to look up Homeschooling through Netflix. 8)

Also, EVERY kid does that sudden amnesia trick. It's very frustrating. I suggest switching things up when she gets to that point. I also suggest finding her 'currency'. What makes her tick? Some kids will do tricks for more time outside, more bedtime stories. My son will try to work diligently through work for extra tablet time. Find what works with your daughter and then use the old carrot and stick approach. 8) At her age, remember her schooling shouldn't last all day or even four hours. 8)

I know she definely doesn't like anything challenging. If it's not easy then she gets mad. For instance, when reading, she can know most words, but then comes across a word age doesn't know. Rather than trying to sound it out, she gets frustrated. Sometimes she does good with it, but a lot of time is the frustration kicking in.

At first when she would cut up I'd make her go take a nap, but then realized she would start doing it just to get out of doing the work. I'd try to reward her with doing small art projects since she enjoys them, but that's not enough to motivate her. I've also tried to motivate her by allowing her to choose an activity to do with the family on the weekend if she did her school work properly through the week. It just depends on her mood. I'm currently looking for local homeschooling and mom groups to get her out and socializing. I found a few I'm waiting to hear back from on meetup.com.

As far as the amount of work, we spend about an hour or 2 per day with worksheets and such then she goes on the computer. She'll spend a few hours a day on there since the work is like a game to her so she really enjoys that.

(By the way, if anything is misspelled I'm currently mobile)
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Handwriting without tears
apologia science
magic school bus kits
all about spelling
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

This year is our second trip through first grade.....both of my girls have learned the basics (Arithmetic, Phonics, Language, Spelling, Reading).  The extras are Health, Safety, and Manners, Geography (My America, My World), Science (Exploring God's World), poetry and Art Projects as well as singing and Bible class.

We use a full curriculum from Abeka.

julesjerry
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This year we did 1st grade.

Spanish

Language arts - Reading, writing journal, spelling

Math - addittion, subtraction, time, measurement

Extra :

Geography : states names

Human body : just basic of system

http://www.fromandforkids.wordpress.com/ - i have saved curriculum in this blog.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

The complete curriculum books aren't meant to sincerely be full curricula. As long as you're comfortable with that, and ready to supplement heavily, you look good to go.

I do love the What Your _____ Grader Needs to Know books (the older versions; we steer clear of the new common core aligned versions).

We're doing first grade as of next week. For my son that includes the following resources/curriculum:

Maths: CLE math 1, Miquon

Phonics: PAL (Primary Arts of Language) Reading

Spelling: Catholic Heritage Curriculum grade 1 spelling, supplemental letter tiles

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears K, Catholic Heritage Curriculum grade 1 handwriting

Science: supplemental literature, Behold and See 1 (CHC)

History/social studies: Catholic Heritage Curriculum's character cards, literature

Religion: Faith and Life 1, supplemental literature and saint books, crafts, coloring books, etc.

Music: Making Music, Praying Twice

Art Appreciation: Memoria Press' kindergarten art cards

The following topics for science will be covered:

seasons, senses, animals, physics, the planets

For History/social studies:

community helpers, 911/emergencies, early american

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

GodsAmiga
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM

We just started 1st grade. After my dd finished kindergarten I wanted to get curriculum that was easy to plan and implement as well as cover more subjects (we had focused mostly on reading/writing/spelling and math). We are using Bob Jones for Bible, Heritage Studies (social studies), math, and reading comprehension (I am also using level C in Logic of English to continue with phonics and spelling, etc). I am using God's Design for Life science which comes with 3 books: one on animals, one on plants, and one on the human body. We have started with animals per her choice. :-) The body one can double for health and in the meantime we are going through a cool book called My Body. You make a paper outline of their body and hang it up. Then you learn a little bit about body parts. They color a paper picture of the body part, cut it out, and paste it on the proper place on the body. Both my 5 year old and my 3 year old are loving it! :-) Anyways, for art we are using artistic pursuits once a week. I ordered a Spanish workbook for the kiddos for them to start learning a little basic Spanish but I'm not focusing on it too much right now. :-)

So far this is working really well. We enjoy all the different brands/currriculum that I listed and making weekly lesson plans are super easy. :-) I also will admit that I am not doing school 5 days a week right now. Since we're ahead of the game I'm letting us do a lot of play dates or taking days off where we just read to each other to help practice fluency. When it gets warm out we'll probably have a lot of park days or days where we do only art activities and will take it outside. :-)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:21 AM
We'll be starting first grade sometime around July. ( I move her up after her birthday)

As of now I plan on using:
Math: Singapore and Miquon
LA: FLL, WWE, HWT
Science: RSO Life
History: SOTW
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN