Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Preparing to teach 1st grade

Posted by   + Show Post

This is my 2nd year homeschooling my daughter. She's going into 1st grade and was wondering what materials did you use/are using that worked for you?

Here's what I have so far:

Books

Online Programs:

What topics/subjects specifically did you teach/go over for 1st grade? -When you search for curriculum SO many different things come up.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input :)

Learn about healthier & safer all natural options without the high cost or sacrificing quality +make $$$ ➜ Read More You can also Get FREE SAMPLES by mail by joining my website! ➜ See how Oh, I also make Recycled Jewelry here! Have any questions? Just ask!
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Replies (11-12):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I have one in kindy and moving to first grade.

Our year/grade levels blend a lot in the beginning. She is a wild, inattentive child, so for sanity sake I didn't start teaching her "for real" until recently. So she is doing K/1st stuff blended.

We are using...

K12 phonics 1 kit (left over from first child when she was enrolled in K12)

Handwriting w/o tears 1st grade

Apologia science: anatomy (older kids are doing it, she tags along)

Mathusee... although she is just watching the alpha videos and plays with the blocks. I found the video for $4.00.

Time4learning...she does this at her own style/pace. We flip flop from k level and 1st grade level. I will occassionally check to see how she does and it is all over the place. From 100% down to below 40%. Its so hard because of her inattentiveness to know what she knows.

She also participates in junior bible quiz, drama club, art, and a playgroup for k-2nd graders.

She will continue this stuff through the summer and into next year.

I have random workbooks we use as well from prek - 2nd grade.

It really just blends so much. At some point between second and third grade, they usually get on a specific track.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I am just finishing up teaching 1st grade for the 3rd time. :)

Here's what we did:

Math: Saxon Math 1, Xtramath.org for extra practice

Science: lots of Netflix documentaries (Life of Birds, Everest, etc), Cosmeo games, Fandex Tree identification

Literature/History: we loosely followed Sonlight's core B for this, but skipped some of the books entirely. Her favorite read aloud this year was Strawberry Girl. We studied Florida maps and made lapbooks. We also spent a month or so on Little House on the Prairie, then watched a few of the old episodes and made a lapbook from that as well.

She also took a sewing class (made a sweatshirt and pj pants) at co-op, as well as PE (they play group games) and stage skills and tumbling. 

I let her choose books we read together - she usually chooses 3rd or 4th grade level books (we are reading some of the Fairy series, Holly the Christmas Fairy right now - I can't stand them, but whatever it takes to motivate reading!).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN