Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

accredited vs non-accredited homeschool

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello all,

I just joined and this is my first post.  I will be homeschooling my 5 year old son this fall and am wondering what your thoughts are on using a curriculum that does not require enrollment.  I realize that a lot of people do their own thing and don't enroll but I know there are some who choose to enroll, even at the elementary level.  Just interested in your thoughts about this subject.  I really do like the idea of the "eclectic" approach but leaning very much towards a "classical" approach as well.  I am also leaning towards not enrolling so that I can do what is best for us.  Thanks in advance for your responses :)

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:06 AM
When you say enroll, I assume you mean a type of public or private school at home.

My opinion is that this is not a terrible option and some find success in it.

We have four kids who learn a variety of ways and have some extra struggles. We did not fit that approach and landed on an ecclectic style with a bit of child led exploration blended with trial and error.

We are not slaves to any timeframe that we didn't commit to ourselves.
tntmom1027
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I have chosen to go with a more eclectic approach. My son is 6. I took him out of kinder and we are doing mostly 1st grade work. I use Lesson Pathways(lessonpathways.com) for history and Science, but also add stuff to it as well. And we have been using easy peasy(allinonehomeschool.com) for Math and reading(early reader primer). 

I think we are going to continue on like this next year as well. I may pick up some other curriculum along the way but for the most part we will stick with what we are doing. I looked into k12 and other similar programs(my city has a homelink program where you go to the school once a week to have a meeting etc) but prefer to have full controll over "school" 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM
We do not I would not survive. I need to be able to teach dd at her level and pace and adjust as we go. I need programs that are laid out for me but I like to skip stuff as needed usually because I cannot beat a dead horse with her once she gets it I need to move on even if that means skipping worksheeys
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We opted for Accredited.  Our reasons were so that we have a log of grades held by a seperate entity, so that it would be easier if we decided to enroll them in private school.  It helps in many ways so that they may not have to be tested going in.

Jenn8604
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Senior year of high school is the only one that HAS to be accredited in IL. I graduated through Christian Liberty Academy Satellite School. My friends mom didn't have her in.one. i got an actual high school diploma. She on the other hand had to go pass her GED test AFTER already finishing high school, she got some books from another homeschooled family at her church who did a separate accredited school, but because she wasn't enrolled in an accredited school it wasn't "REAL" work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM
I'm the exact same way. Through the school I went through you only mailed in tests and so many pages. I skipped PLENTY of actual work pages.

Quoting ablackdolphin: We do not I would not survive. I need to be able to teach dd at her level and pace and adjust as we go. I need programs that are laid out for me but I like to skip stuff as needed usually because I cannot beat a dead horse with her once she gets it I need to move on even if that means skipping worksheeys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jalynmae
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much for all the replies!  My husband leans more towards accredited but he hasn't researched much to have an understanding of how important/unimportant it is for elementary.  I was thinking about it for the same reason as you, Coala, just in case we decided to have him attend ps.  I am also a little worried about laws changing for homeschoolers.  My thoughts are that I will use most of the curriculum from the program that I am most interested in and add to it when I feel there is a need for it, but not enroll until middle school. 

My son would be in 4-K right now so we're just having fun.  Just wondering if anyone else gets a hard time for not having your child/children in public/private school.  Some parents at playdates don't understand why I wouldn't send him off to school.  He already knows numbers, letters, colors, reads from bob books, etc.  And we read many library books about dinosaurs, the planets, history, etc.  I am sort of surprised they trust that they will learn everything from ps, but I do respect their decision.  Just want them to respect mine...

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM
The thing about accreditation is that it doesn't really mean anything in the long run. There are actually public high schools that aren't accredited. I realize,being in Texas means I have a bit more freedom,but I've never considered curriculum based on whether its acreddited or not.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

We piece our own stuff together.  I have no interest in whether it's accredited or not.  I'm on my 3rd homeschooled child and he's a teenager now.  Accreditation isn't necessary for college (almost all colleges have a homeschooler admissions page now).  It isn't even necessary for entering the school system (both my girls went into top high schools after 8th grade, no problem).  But if you like to have everything laid out for you, your child's grades all kept in one place, and you need something telling you your child got through their idea of a curriculum, then it's fine.  

Angela

dd(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
dd(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school
ds(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM
We write the majority of our own curriculum but will use supplements as/if needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)