Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

accredited vs non-accredited homeschool

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello all,

I just joined and this is my first post.  I will be homeschooling my 5 year old son this fall and am wondering what your thoughts are on using a curriculum that does not require enrollment.  I realize that a lot of people do their own thing and don't enroll but I know there are some who choose to enroll, even at the elementary level.  Just interested in your thoughts about this subject.  I really do like the idea of the "eclectic" approach but leaning very much towards a "classical" approach as well.  I am also leaning towards not enrolling so that I can do what is best for us.  Thanks in advance for your responses :)

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Replies (11-14):
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Even if they changed the HS laws to require accreditation (which I highly doubt) they cannot penalize you for previously doing something that was legal. It would just mean you would have to switch over.

I personally do not think that accreditation is important. You can write your own transcripts. Anyways, in my state accreditation doesn't even matter when it comes to homeschooling. It's written in the law that the superintendent decides what grade to put your child in if they switch to public schools. Not to mention Homeschoolers do not receive a diploma from the DOE.

Quoting Jalynmae:

Thanks so much for all the replies!  My husband leans more towards accredited but he hasn't researched much to have an understanding of how important/unimportant it is for elementary.  I was thinking about it for the same reason as you, Coala, just in case we decided to have him attend ps.  I am also a little worried about laws changing for homeschoolers.  My thoughts are that I will use most of the curriculum from the program that I am most interested in and add to it when I feel there is a need for it, but not enroll until middle school. 

My son would be in 4-K right now so we're just having fun.  Just wondering if anyone else gets a hard time for not having your child/children in public/private school.  Some parents at playdates don't understand why I wouldn't send him off to school.  He already knows numbers, letters, colors, reads from bob books, etc.  And we read many library books about dinosaurs, the planets, history, etc.  I am sort of surprised they trust that they will learn everything from ps, but I do respect their decision.  Just want them to respect mine...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Unless your child fits neatly into their grade level box, enrolling can be tricky, unless the school is super flexible (Kolbe Academy is VERY flexible and lets you mix up grade levels when you order the lesson plans; likewise Seton will let your child placement test into skill subjects like language arts and maths).

I will probably enroll my child in a flexible accredited program when they reach high school - just because they will do the transcript leg work for me, and help with college admissions, testing, and letters of recommendation.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jalynmae
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Redhead, that was my concern; if they were to change things up for homeschooling.  But I do agree that they wouldn't hold it against you.  Homeschooling is becoming more commonplace now, which is great.  He's going to be in Kindergarten this fall so we're just going to have fun testing curriculum from different providers. 

AutymsMommy, we are also considering Kolbe.  I called them last week and the gentleman I talked to told me that many families don't enroll until high school.  I am really looking forward to picking and choosing what I want because I am also fond of using some of Angelicum's material, which is also a classical curriculum.  We've started collecting and reading some literature from their booklist.  Very impressed with Angelicum!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I plan on doing an accredited program when my kids do high school level otherwise I don't see the point. In some states it's easier to do accredited, but in my state we have no restrictions or requirements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN