Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been using Math U See with my daughter so far, and she loves it. She was struggling in math after we had pulled her out of PS but now she is excelling at it, and its taking about 5 min on average for her to get the worksheet for the day done, unless it's a 6 digit divided by 4 digit...those take hours...she gets them right but she does it sooo sloooow lol. 
Anyway, I started using Math U See with my little guy, and this year alone he finished the Primer, and is more than half way through the Alpha book. This is in just 1 yr! He is FLYING through this. I've heard that Singapore Math is a little harder, but I've got some reservations on it -  mainly its common core alignments. I didn't switch when Math U See "switched" but I noticed very little change from what it was before it made the switch and then after it made the switch (really it looked like it was just the enrichment pages...nothing in the scope and sequence seemed to change). I don't know how much of a switch there is with Singapore Math though, and all of the 7-11 grades are no longer being made "not" alligned. (I know these books are higher than what the kids need now, but I'm doing all the research now).
I'm thinking of just sticking with Math U See with my daughter since looking at what she knows now, I feel if I switched, she'd be at the 3rd book of Singapore, which is kind of a blow to her... But if I switch my little guy now, he'd be just fine with the K book. Neither of the kids use the blocks ever when doing their math. Riley just wants to play with them...make planes mostly... he doesn't ever use them to help with counting.

For those of you who use Singapore, do you and the kids like it? Is it a little more challenging? Do I need to worry about it being "common core" or was it basically the same before the "switch"? Is the teacher manual worth getting?
I'm also confused on the whole A & B thing. Is A first semster and B second semester?  Whats the difference between Standard and non standard? I get that the workbook is where they do all the work, do they need the text book too, or is that more for the classroom setting?  

I know its a lot of questions. Thank you in advanced :)  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

We use "Math in Focus - the Singapore Approach."  It's much more advanced than the "Everyday Math" the girls had previously.  We really like it.  There was a learning curve last year for little dd when they introduced it in the 2nd grade, and this year for my older dd (6th).  The book is heavy on word problems, and bar models to solve them.  The girls grumped about those at first, but once they had them down it made the problems so much easier to solve.

We're through the A books and will be most of the way through the B before our year ends.  It's a solid Mastery Approach.  The only weakness I found was the length of time  spent on subtraction.  They do a good job with addition, but skim through subtraction.  We took some extra time playing games until little dd felt solid.

I'm assuming Singapore is similar, but that's an assumption of course!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM
We are using it next year. I'll take a look this weekend and let you know. I just know there is a non aligned version :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

Ooo I didn't realize that one was unaligned. Cool :) So do you use Singapore then? Does it skip around, or give a solid foundation to build off of like a mastery approach?  

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: Singapore has a unaligned version :) its the primary mathematics US editions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Jamie has been flew through the Gamma book and only slowed down when she hit chapter 25. This year on Delta she flew through (after her period of utter procrastination) til she hit chapter 25. I think with both its multiple digit times multiple digit with regrouping, and multi digit divided by multi digit. As soon as she passed Chapter 25, she picked up speed again. With both of those chapters, she could get the answers correct but it took her ages to do it. Eventually, I just had her move on... I have her practice speed on those types of problems seperately now.  I'm ordering her the Epsilon book (since I'm sticking with MUS with her) soon, and by the "end" of our school year, she'll most likely be through most of Epsilon since my dad has been doing fractions with her and she already has said "so far too easy." 

I know they slow down at certain points, but if they're getting the problems correct, we move on, regardless of how fast or slow they are at getting the correct answer, which still keeps them moving relatively quickly. Both seem to be geared for math. 

I really do like MUS though. I like that it is fully mastery based and I know the kids know their stuff really well and understand it thoroughly, I'm just really afraid of the cost with two kids doing math now, and possibly going through 1 1/2-2 books a year with each of them. Especially if they continue to find math easy. 

Quoting KrissyKC: Just an observation. My kids switched to math u see this year. They were gamma and zeta. They flew through the first third of the book and I was thinking like you... its too easy right? Nope...it got just challenging enough to slow them down.
Quoting No_Difference:

Jamie HATED Life of Fred. She struggles with reading though too, so I think that may have been part of it. I personally like MUS, but at the same time, I think I need something that is a little bit more of a challenge so we're not flying through this stuff so quickly. At this rate, they'll be done with the Calc book by 10th grade, and then I'm stuck trying to find far more difficult math for them... not that its bad lol, but I'd rather challenge them a little more now if I can...  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: A thought.. . I know nothing about Singapore but I know a bunch of families who supplement MUS with Life of Fred.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I will have to take a peak at that one then too :) Thank you. I really love the mastery approach to learning math too. The spiral method gives me a headache lol. And I've noticed that if we go over things too many times, my kids lose interest so quickly and then don't retain anything. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We use "Math in Focus - the Singapore Approach."  It's much more advanced than the "Everyday Math" the girls had previously.  We really like it.  There was a learning curve last year for little dd when they introduced it in the 2nd grade, and this year for my older dd (6th).  The book is heavy on word problems, and bar models to solve them.  The girls grumped about those at first, but once they had them down it made the problems so much easier to solve.

We're through the A books and will be most of the way through the B before our year ends.  It's a solid Mastery Approach.  The only weakness I found was the length of time  spent on subtraction.  They do a good job with addition, but skim through subtraction.  We took some extra time playing games until little dd felt solid.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Thank you :) I appreciate it!

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: We are using it next year. I'll take a look this weekend and let you know. I just know there is a non aligned version :-)
Quoting No_Difference:

Ooo I didn't realize that one was unaligned. Cool :) So do you use Singapore then? Does it skip around, or give a solid foundation to build off of like a mastery approach?  

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: Singapore has a unaligned version :) its the primary mathematics US editions.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I wish I found the brick wall! lol. I feel totally useless to them in math. They need me for a whole 5 seconds to explain how to do it, and then the rest of the time to keep them from throwing erasers at each other :/ lol. 
I have supplemented with just about everything I could think of and get my hands on cheaply, but I feel guilty keeping them on something, when they're getting the answers correct all the time. It may take them a little while to get an answer when its a large problem, but they're getting it correct. So before we start the day's math lesson, we do a problem that they're slow at, time it, and try to beat the last day's time. That way its like a fun little race against themselves, and its just to work on speed.  

Quoting mem82:

Kids well fly through until they hit their brick wall. 8) Have you thought about supplementing to slow them down?

TidewaterClan
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Yep, that Everyday Math the girls originally had was spiral and the grew bored by the seond round each year.  Mastery seems to work so much better for them (and me!).  It's easier to assess how much they understand as we dig into the different math functions.

Quoting No_Difference:

I will have to take a peak at that one then too :) Thank you. I really love the mastery approach to learning math too. The spiral method gives me a headache lol. And I've noticed that if we go over things too many times, my kids lose interest so quickly and then don't retain anything. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM
What about doing less math and freeing up more time for practice reading and other subjects.

I know when Liam was done with gamma and we hadn't ordered the next one, we did a couple weeks of math games online for about 20 minutes 3 times/weekly and focused on the other subjects.

Quoting No_Difference:

Jamie has been flew through the Gamma book and only slowed down when she hit chapter 25. This year on Delta she flew through (after her period of utter procrastination) til she hit chapter 25. I think with both its multiple digit times multiple digit with regrouping, and multi digit divided by multi digit. As soon as she passed Chapter 25, she picked up speed again. With both of those chapters, she could get the answers correct but it took her ages to do it. Eventually, I just had her move on... I have her practice speed on those types of problems seperately now.  I'm ordering her the Epsilon book (since I'm sticking with MUS with her) soon, and by the "end" of our school year, she'll most likely be through most of Epsilon since my dad has been doing fractions with her and she already has said "so far too easy." I know they slow down at certain points, but if they're getting the problems correct, we move on, regardless of how fast or slow they are at getting the correct answer, which still keeps them moving relatively quickly. Both seem to be geared for math. I really do like MUS though. I like that it is fully mastery based and I know the kids know their stuff really well and understand it thoroughly, I'm just really afraid of the cost with two kids doing math now, and possibly going through 1 1/2-2 books a year with each of them. Especially if they continue to find math easy. 

Quoting KrissyKC: Just an observation. My kids switched to math u see this year. They were gamma and zeta.

They flew through the first third of the book and I was thinking like you... its too easy right?

Nope...it got just challenging enough to slow them down.

Quoting No_Difference:

Jamie HATED Life of Fred. She struggles with reading though too, so I think that may have been part of it. I personally like MUS, but at the same time, I think I need something that is a little bit more of a challenge so we're not flying through this stuff so quickly. At this rate, they'll be done with the Calc book by 10th grade, and then I'm stuck trying to find far more difficult math for them... not that its bad lol, but I'd rather challenge them a little more now if I can...  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: A thought.. .
I know nothing about Singapore but I know a bunch of families who supplement MUS with Life of Fred.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Oh... and how is using two different maths going to help you save money. I am keeping each of their stuff to pass down to the younger students and only have to buy one set of teachers books, dvds, and manipulatives.
Beniegenie
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM
I don't have any answers to your questions, sorry I mostly was reading this because I'm very interested in MUS and want to get opinions about it before purchasing it. However I wante to tell you what I do for my son. He's 6 in first grade and we've been using Abeka since kindergarten. He picks up stuff way to fast. Never gets the answers wrong. And daily the teacher book has them either learning something new or reviewing and reviewing stuff he's learned. Same for phonics and language and reading. So what I've done is read through to make sure I introduce things that abeka is saying to introduce that day and then I push him further. For instance they taught coins and counting but for the longest time it was limited to just pennies, nickels and dimes. I taught him quarters early on because he catches on too quickly. Then ince he mastered that I moved him on to larger amounts. So basically I review on things that abeka seems to touch on and not mention again for many lessons. So by the time they mention it again he's mastered it. I always make sure that he knows a new topic backwards as forward. I only use the teacher books to be certain that I'm not forgetting anything like temperature. So we don't skip through or push through. We just do each daily lesson and I challenge him. Not sure if that helps :) I really enjoyed reading all your comments. I think I'm going to purchase MUS and start my 4 year old out with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN