Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A laugh for all my crunchy mamas~10 things I never thought I would say as a (natural) parent

Posted by   + Show Post

Natural Parents Network: 10 Things I NEVER Thought I Would Say as a (Natural) Parent

Parenting changes us. Things never even considered for conversations slip past our lips. When you step out of mainstream a bit, things tend to sound just a little stranger, until you realize they are just another part of your new life.

Natural Parents Network: 10 Things I NEVER Thought I Would Say as a (Natural) Parent

That is not a bath toy!
I know. It is squishy and pliable. It looks like a cup. And it is. Yourmenstrual cup. How do they always find that thing? All the more reason to boil it before and after use.

Don’t flush!
This one is twofold. Most people know the “If it’s yellow, let it mellow; if it’s brown, flush it down,” right? But then you add in usingfamily cloth, and we are in a whole new ball park of DON’T FLUSH.

You may not have milkies and cookies!
Extended nursing has many joys and sorrows. But I don’t think any of us ever thought we were going to need to limit children in this manner! Just a little food hidden in their cheeks and YOWZERS. Biting, the food particles, just ouch.

That diaper is so cute!
Who knew we could trade our personal style in for {affiliate link} adorable patterns for our children’s backsides? Cloth diapers have shot past the age of plastic pants and into the world of designer fabrics and personalized appliques. But, we save so much by not using disposables, right?

No penises or vulvas at the dinner table!
If you are working to honor a child’s need to be clothing-free, there comes a time when limits need to be set for the comfort of the whole family. It is easy to say “clothes are required when leaving the house,” but this was one limit that I didn’t ever think I would have to set.

I couldn’t live without my carrier.
Babywearing is the second most important tool in my parenting kit. Physical contact with our children is important no matter their age, but those early days/weeks/months/years are especially important for them. Soft structure, wraps, slings, so many choices and I can never seem to have too many. I can only image how wonderful it would be if I had to carry around twins!

I can’t believe the placenta is almost gone!
It seems every mom I know who has gone the route of placenta encapsulationspeaks highly of it. So highly, that many of them have a little cache of capsules hiding away in their fridge or freezer just in case they find themselves in an especially horrible PMS phase or even for pre-menopausal use.

Do you want some breastmilk for that?
It is called liquid gold for more than just nutritional or comfort reasons. It also does the trick for some amazing alternative uses. I would rather not discuss how many times have I gotten a strange look for offering some to a nonlactating friend dealing with pink eye in the family.

Where is the coconut oil?
No other substance gets used in any room of the house like coconut oil. Dry skin, rashy butts, sexual lubricant … the list really does go on and on.

The baby needs to go potty!
Elimination communication was the probably the FARTHEST thing from my mind when it came to parenting. But, fewer diaper changes won out after we learned that even brand new babies know, and can show you, that they are about to pee or poop.

What kind of things have you said that were beyond your wildest, pre-child imagination?

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol ... I just can't imagine saying anything like that. I am too reserved for that. lol. Well, I was. Now I am a lot more relaxed with myself but still couldn't imagine saying that. :~)

Quoting jakana2369: I have said alot of off the wall things but most of these have never came out of my mouth nor do I know what some of them are.

Its funny! The one saying I have said a few times at an over crowded park. "If you came out of my uterus lets go" it works great. Tell the one kids that is not mine said what a uterus is.

Quoting kirbymom: I have never heard of these, let alone say them. lol
Guess I am weird. :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Yes, and they are re-usable for about 3 months. Sea sponges are naturally absorbent. And they resist bacteria. I think if one is willing to handle clean-up for a cup or mom pad then clean-up isn't a prob..lol..

Quoting kirbymom: Forgive my ignirance her but, Are you really supposed to use those just like a tampon?
Quoting KickButtMama:

They are essentially the natural substitute to tampons. http://jadeandpearl.com/sea-pearls-sea-sponge-tampons/

Quoting paganbaby:

How do the sea sponges work?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ok I confess to most of those, especially when my boys were young....but placenta encapsulation? I've never even heard of it? And I use sea sponges instead of the menstural cup ;)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Lol yep I've said most of those before! We didn't do ec though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Eww,I'm decidedly NOT crunchy. Some of those things I've never heard of.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Holy moly. I didn't know. Learn something new, I did. Thanks for answering my question.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yes, and they are re-usable for about 3 months. Sea sponges are naturally absorbent. And they resist bacteria. I think if one is willing to handle clean-up for a cup or mom pad then clean-up isn't a prob..lol..

Quoting kirbymom: Forgive my ignirance her but, Are you really supposed to use those just like a tampon?

Quoting KickButtMama:

They are essentially the natural substitute to tampons. http://jadeandpearl.com/sea-pearls-sea-sponge-tampons/

Quoting paganbaby:

How do the sea sponges work?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ok I confess to most of those, especially when my boys were young....but placenta encapsulation? I've never even heard of it? And I use sea sponges instead of the menstural cup ;)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Lol ..
I don't know whether saying these make you crunchy or non-crunchy, but I haven't heard or said these statements either.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Eww,I'm decidedly NOT crunchy. Some of those things I've never heard of.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't do Ec, I don't do mama cloth (I do use a cup sometimes) and I don't eat or swallow my placenta nor do we use family cloth; yes to everything else.

kajira
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Well, i AM having twins and still trying to find a good twin carrier that's not a moby or tye wrap. I don't feel secure wearing those while holding babies in them. (I've had more the one come untied and slip off my hips before.)

But the only one i've really said is "No underwear at the table, no dinner until you get some on."

I have a rule that you have to at least have boxers or panties on if your sitting at the table for dinner. O.o

My son was never big on nudity, but my 3 year old daughter is. If she gets too hot, she wants to strip all her clothes off and really, really objects to wearing anything. LOL I can usually convince her to at least keep underwear on.

tonyanamelia
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Which cup do y'all use? I have been trying to buy one now that I'm almost done with bf and my periods are slowely starting back. Looks like I'll have another year of them while I wait to start the next baby cooking. ;)

Tal0n
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Do NOT fight over Mama's breasts!!  YOU.  Your side of the bed, NOW.

Sadly, this wasn't from tandem nursing; this was my husband deliberatly riling our infant daughter up over what she clearly considered HER property.

I took her side, at the time, since I was producing enough milk to supply a preschool.

Chibi used to get SUPER pissed at her father too.  It would have been more funny if they hadn't have been MY breasts!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)