Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Real life learning

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 23 Replies
4 moms liked this

We love Real Life Learning! Today my kids learned how to disassemble & reassemble a laptop!

My poor DH has no idea what we do for school. We have several laptops and an old desk top computer. Today's lesson? Re flowing a motherboard. The kids main laptop, the one they mostly use for school, had the motherboard die on us a week ago. Today I taught them how to completely dis-assemble the laptop, what each part of the mother board was for, etc. With many HP laptops they get really hot under the bottom. This can cause the soldering to get a microscopic honeycomb shape to it, essentially introducing microscopic air bubbles. This prevents the computer from booting up. Since it's over 5 years old we can't find a new/replacement motherboard anywhere, even eBay. So the last resort is 'reflowing' - essentially you bake the motherboard at 385 degrees for between 7-10 minutes. This re melts the solder. The concept is to melt then re-harden the solder without the air bubbles. 

Poor DH got home from work to find our futon, which we use a a second couch, pulled out covered in all the pieces of the computer. He was slightly horrified to learn how I was fixing the computer...lol

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM

My son and husband have done a few lessons on this over the course of our laptops' lives.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Awesome!
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I so need to live next door to you!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Y'all are awesome!!! Just saying :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Quoting Dawn07: Y'all are awesome!!! Just saying :)

Aww, you're sweet! We all have our strengths. Mine is anything science related (usually including technology, though it grows so fast sometimes it eludes even me). But, don't ask me to edit/proofread an article. My spelling and grammar suck...lol

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hwblyf:

I offered a robotics class at our co-op this semester. I thought I might get around 8 kids, since it cost about $70. I ended up having to break the class into two time slots since I ended up with almost 30 kids!! I was stunned! So far I think the kids have enjoyed dismantling my 'practice' CPU....we have a really old desk top, it's an eMachines. It still runs, but it is slooooooow. So I  gave the desk top to my kids so they could learn how to build a computer from the ground up - I even deleted the windows operating system. Sadly laptop parts are not interchangeable like desk top ones, so you can't just change one to a gaming computer. But I let my classes dismantle the desk top, the majority had never seen the 'guts' of a computer before!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah, I have found my complement to you!  I edited for a few years.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Dawn07: Y'all are awesome!!! Just saying :)

Aww, you're sweet! We all have our strengths. Mine is anything science related (usually including technology, though it grows so fast sometimes it eludes even me). But, don't ask me to edit/proofread an article. My spelling and grammar suck...lol

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

That is so awesome that it was so highly attended!  I wonder if we have any computers my husband would let the kids dismantle....

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

I offered a robotics class at our co-op this semester. I thought I might get around 8 kids, since it cost about $70. I ended up having to break the class into two time slots since I ended up with almost 30 kids!! I was stunned! So far I think the kids have enjoyed dismantling my 'practice' CPU....we have a really old desk top, it's an eMachines. It still runs, but it is slooooooow. So I  gave the desk top to my kids so they could learn how to build a computer from the ground up - I even deleted the windows operating system. Sadly laptop parts are not interchangeable like desk top ones, so you can't just change one to a gaming computer. But I let my classes dismantle the desk top, the majority had never seen the 'guts' of a computer before!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It is the best way of learning how it all works....electricity, resistors, memory....there are even great youtube videos on how to dismantle almost any computer. So the kids could follow along and learn about the parts. 

Quoting hwblyf:

That is so awesome that it was so highly attended!  I wonder if we have any computers my husband would let the kids dismantle....

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Hmmmm.... wish you lived close! DS1 has a desktop that really sucks but it might be fun to take apart and learn about. I'm just NOT that mechanically inclined to do it and think of it as "fun" or "entertaining" lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

It is the best way of learning how it all works....electricity, resistors, memory....there are even great youtube videos on how to dismantle almost any computer. So the kids could follow along and learn about the parts. 

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting hwblyf:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN