Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: Spring Fling at Sparkles in Smyrna, Ga.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

My ODD is a speed skater and I am so very proud of all that she has accomplished in her short little career.  She has been skating for nearly 2 years, but doing speed for 6 mos.  We attended our first really big competition in Smyrna, Ga.  For those not familiar with the area....it is on the outskirts of Atlanta.  This meet was the largest it has ever been with over 33 teams and over 320 something skaters.  My DD was up against some stiff competition.  Her age group of girls was divided into 3 heats with the top 4 from each race going to semi finals.  She placed anywhere from 2nd to 4th place in those heats.  She moved to semi-finals and they race 2 groups and the top 3 move onto to finals.  She placed top 2 or 3 in all of those races.  She never seemed to finish higher than 5th or 6th place in her finals, but she raced HARD.

If you are unfamiliar with how it works, this is the breakdown:

Short race is 200m, semi-final 200m, then final 200m.

Long race is 300m, semi-final 300m, then final 300m.

She did this twice as she raced in both Novice and Elite divisions.  It took a LOT of convining and peer (mommy's peers) to pressure her to skate the Elite round.  It was literally ALL the girls she skated that morning...minus 2.  She skated all out, but still didn't land a spot for a medal.  We head to Tampa, Fl in just a few weeks to do this all over again.....hopefully she can make it to the podium.

Sorry the pic is sideways, but my DD is the one in the red and black prentending to be a fish with her friend Kylee (who is on a whole other team....not anywhere near where we live).  LOL

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww! Congrats to her for moving on and for being brave. 8)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
That is SO awesome! She is doing fantastic. :~)
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM

YEAH!!!!!  That must have felt so good!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Very cool!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Congrats to her, what a fantastic job to come in even the top 10! I'm exhausted just thinking of skating in 1 race let alone all those heats in one day! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN